Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Up next.. SPURS (H).

9 hours ago, gurru991 said:

Nice to see some optimism on this depressing page.

I usually do uppers before even coming here.

I am usually (probably too) optimistic when it comes to Leicester.

I even thought the side with Zsolt Lascko and Lee Hendrie was half decent until them Colchester and Sheffield Wednesday games. I feel old now. Still at least that optimism paid off in the end.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

I am usually (probably too) optimistic when it comes to Leicester.

I even thought the side with Zsolt Lascko and Lee Hendrie was half decent until them Colchester and Sheffield Wednesday games. I feel old now. Still at least that optimism paid off in the end.

If I had my football head on (one for the teenagers - worzel gummage), I would have to call this as a Spurs win. But I've got my Leicester head on - and I think we will win - in a particularly appealing way! We are nowhere near as bad as some folk here think we are.

Edited by trabuch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cant see us getting many games points between now and Cardiff. I fear dropping points against Fulham, Burnley, Brighton and West Ham could come back to haunt us. With the exception of Burnley as it was the first home game after the crash, we shouldnt have dropped points against any of this lot as i really cant see us taking points against Spurs, Chelsea or City in the next few weeks. Can even see us struggling at Palace if we play like we did against Fulham. Injuries could kill us over xmas as well if we dont get the likes of Vardy, Maguire and Evans back soon. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Cant see us getting many games points between now and Cardiff. I fear dropping points against Fulham, Burnley, Brighton and West Ham could come back to haunt us. With the exception of Burnley as it was the first home game after the crash, we shouldnt have dropped points against any of this lot as i really cant see us taking points against Spurs, Chelsea or City in the next few weeks. Can even see us struggling at Palace if we play like we did against Fulham. Injuries could kill us over xmas as well if we dont get the likes of Vardy, Maguire and Evans back soon. 

Who? We are City. 

• Like 3

I think we may be pleasantly surprised. We are due some results against the big teams. We are certainly resilient away from home this season also. Spurs are always going to give you a chance and for me the Chelsea manager is showing he is out of his depth. Not saying we will beat them, but think we will get something.  

49 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

I think we may be pleasantly surprised. We are due some results against the big teams. We are certainly resilient away from home this season also. Spurs are always going to give you a chance and for me the Chelsea manager is showing he is out of his depth. Not saying we will beat them, but think we will get something.  

A draw then ?

• Haha 2

To be fair, we generally do better against bigger sides as they come to play and that usually allows us some space, without VArdy it is more difficult to take advantage, but im going for an ugly 1-0 win :)

7 hours ago, trabuch said:

I'm sure they will think the same re Maddison.

Not sure Spurs will be too concerned about what we do really. The top 5 in the league are, at present, streets ahead of the rest. Ok you get the occasional  result such as Wolves against Chelsea but generally speaking the top 5 beat the rest more often than not.

With our injury list and their very good current form I can't see beyond a heavy defeat here. Their defence is good and I can't see us scoring especially if Vardy doesn't play. Hard to think of many of our players who would get in their team on a position for position basis.

Kane always scores against us. 3 or 4 nil to them I'm afraid. Of course there is always hope.But whether hope is a good thing or a bad thing is a different question.

Lots of positivity in here, fantastic.

This will be very tough, yes Spurs have Barca on Tuesday but they are professionals so will want to get their league job done first (and I doubt there will be player resting going on).

Line-up (assuming Maguire and Vardy out and Evans back):

Schmeichel

Ricardo     Soyuncu     Evans     Chilwell

Iborra       Mendy

Albrighton        Maddison        Gray

Iheanacho

Very tight game I think but think we can snatch a draw. 2-2

• Like 1

They’re far, far, far too good for us. We don’t stand a chance of beating them. It will be a complete battering, especially with the lathargic, turgid tempo we’re currently playing with. They’re aggressive, fast and ruthless.... any of our half arsed passing moves in our own half will be food and drink for them. 6-0 spurs. Another Harry Kane show.  

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, reynard said:

Not sure Spurs will be too concerned about what we do really. The top 5 in the league are, at present, streets ahead of the rest. Ok you get the occasional  result such as Wolves against Chelsea but generally speaking the top 5 beat the rest more often than not.

With our injury list and their very good current form I can't see beyond a heavy defeat here. Their defence is good and I can't see us scoring especially if Vardy doesn't play. Hard to think of many of our players who would get in their team on a position for position basis.

Kane always scores against us. 3 or 4 nil to them I'm afraid. Of course there is always hope.But whether hope is a good thing or a bad thing is a different question.

I hope it won’t be as bad as that . I haven’t seen how the second half of the season fixtures pan out but always hope we play top 6 sides on Saturday :scarf:following a champions league game mid week 

7 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

Season over then!!!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Season over then!!!

Not exactly but my point is we need to be more consistent against the mid to lower teams in the league as we aren't going to get many points against the top 5. Our fixture list has been pretty unkind this season, we had a tough start and now we face 3 of the top 5 over Xmas. Like I said, we should have made more of the run of easy games we've had recently but i suppose the crash followed by injuries have hampered us gaining any momentum. 

Much as I like Iborra, I don't think this is one for him. Whilst he reads the game well, he's not the quickest and Spurs will bypass him with ease I feel. On the bench though with possibly (and call me deluded) Silva. I reckon we'll see the usual Ndidi/Mendy terrier combo start - and we'll have to hope Ndidi gets back on form, and stops giving both the ball and free kicks away - Alli hits the deck easy enough as it is without being invited to do so.

Our defence has been (comparatively) solid of late. And static - no CBs venturing forward. IF Maguire's available, it'll be interesting to see if he's selected and, if so, whether he's discouraged from venturing forward. A bit of a tactical conundrum there for Puel. But elsewhere, Chilwell and Ricardo with CBs from whoever's fit and available. That said, it'd be a step up for Soyuncu and perhaps too soon. I'm beginning to like Evans, he ain't flash but he's a wise head. Morgan does do-or-die well but is otherwise limited. In a 'static' back 4, I'm happy with Evans and Morgan as CBs- but we'll see. I'm kind of content with any permutation, there are plus and minuses to any combo. 

I pray that Vardy is available. Just his name on the team sheet gives defences something to think about. Despite Albrighton's technical limitations, he gives his all and is always a threat - plus this is the sort of game he's up for so I think I'd start him. Maddison is a given.... so it leaves a Gray/Iheanacho debate. Gray for me, Nacho on the bench with Shinji and (if fit) Ghezzal.

I'm trying to be positive; with Spurs' Barcelona fixture being of huge importance to them (and one helluva mountain for them to climb too) it is possible that they won't field a full strength 11 and those they do play will perhaps not be giving it 100%.... (yes, that's me being positive!)  

Edited by FoxNotFox
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, davieG said:

The referee has been announced for Spurs' Premier League clash against Leicester City on Saturday evening.

And, it is excellent news for Mauricio Pochettino and his Spurs side.

Craig Pawson will take charge of the clash at the King Power Stadium and Spurs have won their last four games when he's been the man in the middle.

Goals also seem to be guaranteed for the Lilywhites when the South Yorkshire official is in charge.

Recording a 2-0 win over Huddersfield Town last time out, the team's previous game with Pawson saw them record a stunning 3-0 win over Manchester United at Old Trafford.

Tottenham's run of four wins on the spin with the 39-year-old as referee also includes the 5-4 victory over Leicester back in May and the 4-0 demolition of Everton at the start of the year.

Spurs have won eight, drawn three and lost three of their 14 games in which Pawson has officiated.

Craig Pawson was in charge of Spurs' win over Huddersfield Town back in September

As good as the Lilywhites' record is, Leicester boss Claude Puel will be praying for a change of fortune this weekend.

The Foxes have only won three of their 22 games with Pawson as referee, with seven draws and 12 defeats in the process.

Losing seven of their last eight games, you have to go back to their shock title success in 2015/16 for their last victory with that coming in a 1-0 win over Newcastle United.

Lee Betts and Ian Hussin will be Pawson's assistants at the King Power, with Roger East the fourth official.

Really doesn't make a difference seeing that every referee seems to hate Leicester. Bring back, in my opinion the best PL ref, Mark Clattenburg

1 minute ago, jayfox26 said:

Not exactly but my point is we need to be more consistent against the mid to lower teams in the league as we aren't going to get many points against the top 5. Our fixture list has been pretty unkind this season, we had a tough start and now we face 3 of the top 5 over Xmas. Like I said, we should have made more of the run of easy games we've had recently but i suppose the crash followed by injuries have hampered us gaining any momentum. 

If one could guarantee such wonders,football would cease to be a sport. 

Wanting,needing and getting ,thankfully is not so easy as writing in a forum...We were the team not 4 seasons ago,that proved there shouldnt,

be any thoughts of expectancy and entitlement...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FoxNotFox said:

Much as I like Iborra, I don't think this is one for him. Whilst he reads the game well, he's not the quickest and Spurs will bypass him with ease I feel. On the bench though with possibly (and call me deluded) Silva. I reckon we'll see the usual Ndidi/Mendy terrier combo start - and we'll have to hope Ndidi gets back on form, and stops giving both the ball and free kicks away - Alli hits the deck easy enough as it is without being invited to do so.

Our defence has been (comparatively) sold of late. And static - no CBs venturing forward. IF Maguire's available, it'll be interesting to see if he's selected and, if so, whether he's discouraged from venturing forward. A bit of a tactical conundrum there for Puel. But elsewhere, Chilwell and Ricardo with CBs from whoever's fit and available. That said, it'd be a step up for Soyuncu and perhaps too soon. I'm beginning to like Evans, he ain't flash but he's a wise head. Morgan does do-or-die well but is otherwise limited. In a 'static' back 4, I'm happy with Evans and Morgan as CBs- but we'll see. I'm kind of content with any permutation, there are plus and minuses to any combo. 

I pray that Vardy is available. Just his name on the team sheet gives defences something to think about. Despite Albrighton's technical limitations, he gives his all and is always a threat - plus this is the sort of game he's up for so I think I'd start him. Maddison is a given.... so it leaves a Gray/Iheanacho debate. Gray for me, Nacho on the bench with Shinji and (if fit) Ghezzal.

I'm trying to be positive; with Spurs' Barcelona fixture being of huge importance to them (and one helluva mountain for them to climb too) it is possible that they won't field a full strength 11 and those they do play will perhaps not be giving it 100%.... (yes, that's me being positive!)  

What's wrong with venturing forward..?!!

Top teams and this forum demand ball playing CBs,and definitely see that,capability of a CB driving forward in the modern game has a big advantage.

So why in God's name,are now posters cropping up,saying it's all wrong!!

When a CB moves forward then his Bline teammates should be on an automatic wavelength,that they cover and close the space behind them...

Simpson did it magnificently,when Morgan or Huth,went on a forage...This nonsense that it is a Maguire weakness is bewildering...

A CB and the team,take on the risk and reward,managers want their CBs to have the ball control to move across the lines.

Oh and we have scored a few goals because of it!!! Before Maguire we were suddenly becoming static,and playing on a very weak backfoot!!!

Now we have posters coming out of the closset,making it their major point for a platform to criticise!!!  I mean ffs come on!!!

M

22 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

Does anyone think they'll have the arrogance to leave Kane on the bench considering the Barca game coming up? They'd still have decent options but nothing like as lethal. It's a good idea Pochy, I thoroughly recommend it. Please. 

I think that's absolutely possible, and I don't think it's arrogance either.  Tottenham should be prioritizing the Barca game over the league game without any question.  And obviously, they're more likely to be good enough to get a result without Kane against us than they are Barca.

13 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

What's wrong with venturing forward..?!!

Simply, we lose possession and leave ourselves exposed. It's a tactic to aim for perhaps if you have the CBs capable of doing it - which Wes isn't and Maguire is hit and miss.

Edit: oh, and....

Now we have posters coming out of the closset,making it their major point for a platform to criticise!!!  I mean ffs come on!!!

...chill out. Opinions and all that, we don't have to agree. Besides, mine is not a 'criticism', it's an observation.... but "out of the closet" - what's that all about? 

Edited by FoxNotFox