Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Up next.. SPURS (H).

Mauricio Pochettino: ‘If you look at our budgets Spurs are the same as Leicester’

Paul MacInnesLast modified on Fri 7 Dec 2018 22.44 GMT

Mauricio Pochettino has admitted Leicester are on Tottenham’s level when it comes to investment but insists money is not everything when it comes to competing at the top end of the Premier League.

After bouncing back from a derby defeat against Arsenal with a midweek win over Southampton, Spurs travel to the King Power stadium on Saturday night. They could be 11 points behind the leaders Manchester City by the time they kick off but Tottenham are also eight points better off than they were this time last season and their manager believes time and consistency are key to keeping up with the biggest-spending clubs.

“Leicester are a very good team,” Pochettino said. “After the tragedy [of owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha’s death], it’s such a difficult thing to recover from. We are so sorry for them. But they have a great manager, great players, they play so well with clear ideas. It’s not easy and for me it will be a tough game, it will be more difficult than the previous game.

The Fiver: sign up and get our daily football email.

“When you compare the investment or budget, we are in the same position as Everton, West Ham or Leicester. Of course we are so far from the big sides like City or United. But in points we are closer to them than the others. In performance last season the same; we are closer in points than our budget says.”

Pochettino added: “It is not easy to improve only with investment. You need time: to invest, to create a philosophy, a methodology. I think what Tottenham have is a clear idea. Then you have to try to keep your best players to be competitive. Sometimes money is going to help but it is not the most important thing. And in the end everyone invests, still only one team can win.”

Reports this week once again linked Pochettino with a move to a club with a bigger budget; after Real Madrid earlier in the season, this time it was Manchester United. “It is recognition for us,” he said. “I don’t need to listen about what goes around and when people say: ‘We are nice guys and maybe we know something about football.’ The most important thing is how you are made to feel in your home.”

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Mauricio Pochettino: ‘If you look at our budgets Spurs are the same as Leicester’

Mauricio Pochettino has admitted Leicester are on Tottenham’s level when it comes to investment but insists money is not everything when it comes to competing at the top end of the Premier League.

After bouncing back from a derby defeat against Arsenal with a midweek win over Southampton, Spurs travel to the King Power stadium on Saturday night. They could be 11 points behind the leaders Manchester City by the time they kick off but Tottenham are also eight points better off than they were this time last season and their manager believes time and consistency are key to keeping up with the biggest-spending clubs.

“Leicester are a very good team,” Pochettino said. “After the tragedy [of owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha’s death], it’s such a difficult thing to recover from. We are so sorry for them. But they have a great manager, great players, they play so well with clear ideas. It’s not easy and for me it will be a tough game, it will be more difficult than the previous game.

“When you compare the investment or budget, we are in the same position as Everton, West Ham or Leicester. Of course we are so far from the big sides like City or United. But in points we are closer to them than the others. In performance last season the same; we are closer in points than our budget says.”

Pochettino added: “It is not easy to improve only with investment. You need time: to invest, to create a philosophy, a methodology. I think what Tottenham have is a clear idea. Then you have to try to keep your best players to be competitive. Sometimes money is going to help but it is not the most important thing. And in the end everyone invests, still only one team can win.”

Reports this week once again linked Pochettino with a move to a club with a bigger budget; after Real Madrid earlier in the season, this time it was Manchester United. “It is recognition for us,” he said. “I don’t need to listen about what goes around and when people say: ‘We are nice guys and maybe we know something about football.’ The most important thing is how you are made to feel in your home.”

He can be quite arrogant here and there, but he does speak sense at times regarding his situation and how things have panned out.

He deserves some credit, as it's not easing managing a club with rather too much expectation ('top-three') and he has given the club a steady platform at a high level.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Sounds like an upgraded version of Dyche.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He does have a point, we've spent a lot of money. Unfortunately plenty of it has been wasted. In a curious way, it has been both heartening and ridiculous that the cheaper players such as Vardy, Schmeichel, Mahrez, Kante, Albrighton, Chilwell, even Morgan have been tremendous value and yet, of the expensive signings, only Maguire and Ndidi with hopefully Ricardo and Maddison paying off.

But then Tottenham could claim similar. They wasted a lot of the Bale money, the likes of Janssen didn't work out, it is Kane, Alli who have been the success stories.

He's probably right. And Levy is a good businessman too, he doesn't let players walk all over him. It's very rare that their better players leave for free, they usually make a healthy profit. Spurs were in for Maguire when we were but the reports are we offered him more, which I can believe.

I don't like Spurs but I like Poch and he's done very very well with them. Just hope he goes to a bigger club :)

3 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Spurs operate on a bonus/clauses basis. It's a good business model too. Majority of their squad are on relatively low wages for the Premier League but if they score/assist/clean sheet those wages soon rocket up. Makes them hungry and want to win.

More teams should operate in a similar fashion.

All teams should operate in a similar fashion

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

We could easily win this as well as get hammered, depends on the selection should see Gray and Ricardo start would like to see Evans come back in unless he has an injury and Vardy looks like hes out so Kelchi or Oka up top (not much choice really)

If Nacho,was seen not fit for purpose,or

Purpose,wants to tinker and experiment

We could try Gray or even Diabate,into the no9 role....When Worthington was

Injured,we moved Weller into that role,

It worked quite well.Though we didn't see him as a Target man,and Weller was

Clever thinking footballer..just a thought!!

5 minutes ago, FIF said:

Spurs are the same as Leicester !!!!!!

Where's their premier league title?

This ‘premier league era’ exclusivity is bizarre. 

I have zero time for Spurs because I dislike so many of their players and a lot of absolute cretins I know are Spurs fans. Do have some respect for Levy and Poch though. 

Spurs have won the top division twice. FA cup maybe 6 or 7 times ( can’t be bothered to check). A handful of league cups and some European honours too.

In the past 20 years we’ve won more trophies I expect, which of course includes the premier league trophy. It’s hardly like they’ve never won anything though. 

I think Poch makes a reasonable point. 

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Financially we're on the same level? He's having a laugh right, they're spending £1bn on a new stadium. They have more money, they've just spent it differently. Whatever mental gymnastics he has to play to be ok with their board spending nothing on transfers, sure. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gav_LCFC14 said:

Financially we're on the same level? He's having a laugh right, they're spending £1bn on a new stadium. They have more money, they've just spent it differently. Whatever mental gymnastics he has to play to be ok with their board spending nothing on transfers, sure. 

I think he’s talking as the manager in playing terms, ie their playing budget. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

Is this the Team, I can't believe it if it is. Who's going to win the ball in the midfield and stem the flow.

I don't think their as good as some think and Lorius is struggling lately. I think if we are going to win it will be Gray from outside the box. 

But given league positions is take a point right now. We need to keep results up for confidence.

Who is Lorius? A mixture of Lloris and Karius? 

• Like 1

Right then off out with the family to the obligatory Christmas panto for the kids don’t think I’ll be able to sneak in the headphones so the next thing about Leicester I want to see is Leicester City 5 Spuds 0 !!?????

COME ON YOU BEAUTIFUL BLUE FOXES ARMY MASH THOSE SPUDS !!