Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Who do you want January 2019

12 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Maguire isn’t so much overrated. It’s more that he plays much better (and seems to be utilised better) for England.

Not seen him much in a back four for England, his rise to stardom has come from being the central defender in a back 3 that has licence to go forward with the ball, what he excels at. Also, the style was heavily based around set piece routines which Maguire seemed to be always involved in. We certainly haven't got anywhere near the same level of danger he causes at set pieces for England since he's been with us.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Not seen him much in a back four for England, his rise to stardom has come from being the central defender in a back 3 that has licence to go forward with the ball, what he excels at. Also, the style was heavily based around set piece routines which Maguire seemed to be always involved in. We certainly haven't got anywhere near the same level of danger he causes at set pieces for England since he's been with us.

Its a real shame we don't have the set piece threat we carried under MON. That side has its strengths and weaknesses and as a club we've moved on immeasurably; but back then whenever we got a set piece, everyone in the country knew we had a chance. We were the best set piece team throughout the leagues.

1 minute ago, The People's Hero said:

Its a real shame we don't have the set piece threat we carried under MON. That side has its strengths and weaknesses and as a club we've moved on immeasurably; but back then whenever we got a set piece, everyone in the country knew we had a chance. We were the best set piece team throughout the leagues.

Yeah and with a supposed set piece artist in Maddison, it's annoying. Theres a real lack of height in our side though, it was no coincidence we scored more set piece goals or goals from crosses when there was also Iborra in the starting line up. Currently bar the two centre halves and Ndidi, none of them are a danger.

24 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Must admit that’s what I thought, but didn’t he play in a 4 in the recent Euro nations tournament?

Edited by WigstonWanderer

16 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah and with a supposed set piece artist in Maddison, it's annoying. Theres a real lack of height in our side though, it was no coincidence we scored more set piece goals or goals from crosses when there was also Iborra in the starting line up. Currently bar the two centre halves and Ndidi, none of them are a danger.

Do we know if Soyuncu/Benkovic offer much in the air from offensive set pieces?

For all of Morgan's many many faults (and lack of leadership is the biggest one and is completely his own fault since its nothing to do with his age/physical deterioration), I do enjoy his escapades in the opposition's box.

31 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

In the England games I can remember Maguire always played on the left side of the 3 CB's. Do think though that he seems better suited to a back 3.

15 hours ago, Rigga said:

If any of the top 6 come calling (which they will) they will go 100%

You really think Europa is achievable ?

carbon copy of last season, 7th is there and we throw it away.. spectacularly at the minute.

I think there's 3 factors for either moving for us to sell 

1) Guaranteed Gametime/CL

2) The right money

3) Actual need from Top 6 clubs (Both lack of players in their position and need of their quality)

Both players (especially Maguire, who has given interviwws about how he feels like he needs to play every game he's fit for) will want to move to a club where they are guaranteed a certain amount of gametime. In addition, the attraction of consistent CL football would be another facet of this as playing in the CL is a goal for many footballers and could be a potential compromise/negotiating factor.

Obviously, we have both players on long contracts and have shown in the past that we are very current to hold on to players until someone meets our valutation. Therefore, for either to leave, we would have to feel that we were being compensated adequately, and seeing as buying abroad would yield better prices for the same sort of player, it is unlikely that many clubs would meet our valuation.

Lastly, the Top 6 would actually need these players.

Who needs a LCB? Perhaps United, certainly Arsenal, Spurs need a backup for Vertonghen, maybe Chelsea if they feel like he would be an upgrade on Luiz.

Who needs a LB? Man City need a backup LB, Arsenal may want to replace Kolasinac, Chelsea may want to replace Alonso although Sarri seems to love him.

When we take into account all these factors, I only see a few possible moves:

Maguire to United

Maguire to Chelsea (IF they sell Luiz, which seems doubtful)

Chilwell to Man City

Chilwell to Chelsea (IF Sarri leaves for a more rotation happy, player developing manager, and one/both of Palmieri and Alonso leave) 

The Chelsea moves have a lot of ifs and buts attached so those are likely not to manifest, but the main reasons I don't think either will leave are their actual levels of quality. Is Maguire good enough to be the starting LCB for United, or will they want to go for someone better (who they can undoubtedly afford and will probably want more)?

And would Chilwell be happy enough to move - more importantly, would City be happy enough to pay? They do not overpay (beyond what they are willing) for their targets, as evidenced by their refusal to buy any backups to Fernandinho. 

Edit: as to Europe, I meant that i don't think Europa league is a big drawing factor for the players so whether we finish there or not has little influence on whether we keep them.

Edited by Nicolo Barella

8 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Do we know if Soyuncu/Benkovic offer much in the air from offensive set pieces?

For all of Morgan's many many faults (and lack of leadership is the biggest one and is completely his own fault since its nothing to do with his age/physical deterioration), I do enjoy his escapades in the opposition's box.

From the little we've seen of Soyuncu; not really.

Benkovic had a bit of a reputation for being a threat for Zagreb but must admit I haven't seen any of his performances at Celtic. 

3 hours ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

From the little we've seen of Soyuncu; not really.

Benkovic had a bit of a reputation for being a threat for Zagreb but must admit I haven't seen any of his performances at Celtic. 

Scored 2 bullet headers so far for Celtic

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Kalinic is being binned off from Atletico, I know he's in his 30's now but he is would offer a very good option when we are lobbing crosses in to the box 3 times a minute in the 2nd half of every home game?!

Raised this earlier in the thread (feared getting laughed at also lol) him along with Gelson Martins both available.

I think Kalinic has a bad rep in England because he flopped at Blackburn... but really he was young, it was his first move outside of Croatia and actually, he's performed at every club since.

• Like 1

So Newcastle in for Gelson Martins. We've surely got to have a go.

And not as exciting but Victor Moses off to Fenerbache. Another player that would be pretty decent, certainly on loan.

Edited by dmayne7
  • Like 1

Its rumoured that the Crystal Palace forward Zaha could be on the move this Summer. He is one capable striker who can run with the ball, head a ball and score lots of goals. I'd love to see us make a big money move for this player. Lots of big club interest apparently but we are supposed to be now in the top 20 in the World so presumably that should big club ticket includes us.

12 minutes ago, Bazly said:

Its rumoured that the Crystal Palace forward Zaha could be on the move this Summer. He is one capable striker who can run with the ball, head a ball and score lots of goals. I'd love to see us make a big money move for this player. Lots of big club interest apparently but we are supposed to be now in the top 20 in the World so presumably that should big club ticket includes us.

We can try. But I reckon our chances lie somewhere between no hope and Bob Hope.

3 hours ago, Bazly said:

3 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

We can try. But I reckon our chances lie somewhere between no hope and Bob Hope.

350.png

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Kalinic is being binned off from Atletico, I know he's in his 30's now but he is would offer a very good option when we are lobbing crosses in to the box 3 times a minute in the 2nd half of every home game?!

Whats he like with tracking back and defending?