Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Cincinnati Fox

Time for Puel to go

4 minutes ago, Steve Agnew said:

Reading this forum you would think that Puel is the only manager on the planet who is able to select young players. Just for awareness- he isn’t. Others can do it too.

You would also think that he is the only man on the planet who can coach a team to pass the ball.

I have no idea why so many are putting their faith in him. Where is he evidence? What has he achieved on the Premier League? Or his career for that matter?

Why back this particular manager!

I am dumbfounded that he has so much support despite the clear evidence to the contrary. Anybody who watches the games and enjoys it must be a masochist.

Forget the personality complaints, he just hasn’t delivered in almost 3 years in the Premier League at 2 clubs.

Evidence says he will never work out here.

He delivered 8th place and a cup final at Southampton? 

Seriously though, who are we likely to get that's better? Our managerial recruitment has been shoddy for years. If I had faith the club would go out and get someone like Jardim, an exciting young manager who's perhaps a few years early for one of the biggest jobs, then yes, Puel can go. Do I? No. We all know we'll end up with someone like David Brent Brendan Rodgers or Alan Pardew and the prospect of that is far more depressing than the football currently on show

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

He gets sucked in and spun too easily which has cost several goals (all three Vs Arsenal came from his poor positioning allowing them in behind)   his marking is shoddy (for me he should be picking up Alli last weekend) and he regularly just hoofs it into the air when there's a simple five yard pass on. I've not come away from a single game where he's played thinking "he looks an alright signing"

He reminds me of Nils-Eric Johansson, but at least NEJ never claimed to be good or to have had the best sides after him. 

Agree to disagree, I think he's our most polished defender- every defence needs a bit of experience too. I've blanked out the Arsenal game but last week nobody dropped in to cover Chilwell, can't really blame him for that one. 

I'm pretty sure Johansson did have the best sides after him though, we did well to keep hold of him lol

1 minute ago, Ted Maul said:

Agree to disagree, I think he's our most polished defender- every defence needs a bit of experience too. I've blanked out the Arsenal game but last week nobody dropped in to cover Chilwell, can't really blame him for that one. 

I'm pretty sure Johansson did have the best sides after him though, we did well to keep hold of him lol

Yes, noone dropped in to cover Chilwell, but as the left sided centre back in that game he should be, particularly with Ndidi having dropped back and covering the centre with Wes. 

Not good enough. Typically you need to score goals to win...we’re going into games with 2, maybe 3 goal scorers at best. Great to play a possession based passing game, however this is nullified with limited bodies in the box. 

All teams thrive on crowd support, let’s give the fans something to be excited about.  12th in the table is an insult to the caliber of players...even with 7 or 8 defensive-minded players we’re still conceding goals to average teams.

• Haha 1

There's a reasoned argument that Puel hasn't taken us forward. His points record over the past 12 months is one, especially after that initial 5 wins in 8 PL games. We were 14th when he took charge, 11th after his first game, so you can see why people question the progress, especially as it's likely we'll be lower than 11th in a few games time.

Of course, I understand the counter-argument that we are a mid-table side, that 9th was a good finish last year and our 12th place finish the previous season points to our expectations being unfair. That a side with our level of investment shouldn't expect to improve on a mid-table finish.

But it's very, very poor at the moment. Puel's decision-making is questionable, the foundation of his approach - that only a possession-based game with quality on the ball can achieve upper-half stability - is debatable. His ability to motivate, communicate, select sides, manage games, remains unproven at PL level. And yes, the average age of the side is lower, but we should still be asking whether our signings, including Maddison, have so far furthered our cause. And remember that only two Leicester managers have significantly reduced the average age of our side in the past 20 years - one was Pearson in 2012, the other was Levein in 2004, so lowering the age of a side isn't always a badge of honour.

I can still see positives and potential. But I wouldn't be surprised if there's a very strong feeling a few games from now that he has to go, and at that point it may be hard to argue with it. I read John Percy's comments today - that we're 'on a road to nowhere with Puel' and you can see where he's coming from. The lack of purpose, drive and positivity is very worrying.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lgfualol said:

He has Leuven in the relegation zone, where is their commitment then. Sorry but without Shakespeare and Walsh he may as well retire.

I doubt Leuven are given the same level of funds as LCFC for developing the entire club.  (Something he did incredibly well for us).

Also, in his current league, the standard of the players and the coaches is not great - I can’t imagine him working with people of the calibre of Walsh/Shakey.  He certainly thrives at LCFC with a solid & strong backroom staff, but he also had the respect of the players, particularly those with “player power”.  

20 minutes ago, Robin JD Popley said:

He's a damn sight better than the current incumbent. His record is pretty good and he got Watford playing some nice stuff, too.

The sooner Puel has gone, the better.

Would Quique get in using the points based visa system for europeans that you're keen to introduce? ;) 

Skils wise he's not offered a lot up previously....

1 minute ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I cannot understand the logic of the man when he selects a team for a convincing home win only to chop and change the following game which has since led to a total loss of momentum.

It's odd.

Fans are gunning for him and he does himself no favours.

Every other team does it though and seem to be ok. Only with our squad does it seem to cause meltdowns with the players. 

Very alarming when Puel refers to a lack of intensity...I’ve heard that a few times now.  The players are responsible once they’re on the pitch, but the coaching team are responsible for getting them onto the pitch in the right frame of mind.

Was hoping to pick up a few points from recent games (Fulham, weakened Spurs and now Palace).  1 from possible 9 poor.

His interview was good all about quality intensity and consistency.

I suggest he goes for a cup of tea  and a rich tea and lets someone else have a shot.

I said it from the off probably 14th ish because that is all we have to offer playing like this -far too deep and very little to offer up top.The man is stealing a living as a footy manager .

I did thnk Vardy challenge on the keeper was not a foul though he was second favourite and it looked fair.

I'm still torn.

At the end of last season, I was sick of Puel and just wanted to see the back of him. However, I thought our business in the summer was excellent, and I like what he's doing with the young players, so he gets a lot of credit for those things in my opinion.

I still have hope that it's going to click at some point and everything will be fine. Maybe it is true that we're just a couple of players away from the finished article. I have to admit, though, it does seem to be getting more difficult to stay positive, especially after games like today's. Away at a Chrystal Palace team in shite form, without the one man of their one-man team, and we still manage to lose, and bore the supporters to tears in the process.

Maybe the squad is unbalanced, maybe the players are finding their feet after the recent tragedy, but I do think there's evidence that Puel is struggling to get his ideas across and also to motivate the players. He'll need to address these things if he wants to succeed here.

I'm on the fence, but I think the main reason I'd rather we didn't sack him is the paucity of other options out there. Who could we get who could do a better job? I actually can't think of one name. If we do find ourselves in real danger of the drop, then absolutely, I say get rid and roll the dice.

Edited by Raw Dykes

Past the point of caring with him - hope we win matches and will support the team at the games (not that there's much point in going anymore to watch this type of football)

He's everything I feared when we appointed him. Dull, uninspiring football, one up front without fail, a side devoid of spark. Only City manager ever to make me fall out of love with LCFC. There's just no enjoyment anymore, I don't bother using my ST most weeks. I remember watching his post match interviews at Southampton and thinking "glad he's not our manager"

I'm not normally one for sacking managers - even Shakespeare i wanted to be given more time, but not Puel. Time's up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, chapero82 said:

This has been the most annoying thing about people supporting Puel! When anybody has said they didn’t want him in they came out with abusive insults like “idiots” well at least we could see it wasn’t going to work in the first place! 

Not necessarily. I get that people didn’t buy in to what he was doing (I think he had a good idea), but I mean the ones calling him a shit manager, French twat etc

34 minutes ago, ozvaldo said:

I doubt Leuven are given the same level of funds as LCFC for developing the entire club.  (Something he did incredibly well for us).

Also, in his current league, the standard of the players and the coaches is not great - I can’t imagine him working with people of the calibre of Walsh/Shakey.  He certainly thrives at LCFC with a solid & strong backroom staff, but he also had the respect of the players, particularly those with “player power”.  

Half of the table is the relegation zone, isn't it?!

I always thought of the 'Pearson era' as being Pearson-Shakespeare-Walsh. I wouldn't want to judge him outside of that any more than I'd judge Clough without Taylor.

But yes, he's having a stinker at Leuven, as tough a job as that is (they were bottom but one the season before he took over, and they've got through a staggering number of managers in the past decade), and I doubt he's the way forward.

Of course, that doesn't mean Shakespeare and Walsh couldn't have a role. Or even Pearson. Just that he's probably not the answer right now.