Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Cincinnati Fox

Time for Puel to go

3 minutes ago, Lineker's Left Foot said:

On thin thin ice for me BUT this is a real transition year.  We’re not going down and thank heavens there are so many poor teams in the league this season.  I know we stated it last year, but this summer’s recruitment is massive.  Really don’t want to chop and change every season 

Actually we are not safe yet, surprisingly teams that were in the bottom 3 have made a fight of it and its a dogfight down there and we are only 12 points above that drop line, we get nothing more  this month and we could easily be looking over our shoulder.

• Like 1

I really like his vision, but his execution of it thusfar just hasn't worked with any consistency. If we could get someone else in that had some sort of vision that was both attainable and progressive for the club, I don't think I'd be against it, but I'd rather have Puel than a lot of the names mentioned that are currently available. I don't think he's doing good enough with the recent results and performances, but I think we could go anywhere from the current level of relative stability and I don't want to go into Southampton-esque.freefall.

Edited by The_Rorab

well the reality is this... if he is going to go at all this season it needs to be before the transfer window so the new person has some time to get a couple of his own players in.  there is no point in bringing in a new manager who can’t  change a thing... unless we are in real danger of relegation and i don’t believe we will be... so it needs to either be now or at the end of the season...

8 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

Actually we are not safe yet, surprisingly teams that were in the bottom 3 have made a fight of it and its a dogfight down there and we are only 12 points above that drop line, we get nothing more  this month and we could easily be looking over our shoulder.

Only 12 points?! Panic stations! 

I feel for Puel because I can see what he wants to create and it isn’t the shower of shite that is currently on display.

Ajax’s performance against Bayern in the Champions League this week was essentially the perfect embodiment of possession football in the 4-2-3-1. They had a high tempo, constantly moved the ball with pace, they mixed the passing up between intricate short passing, forward balls in behind and regularly switched the play. De Jong and Blind dictated play and controlled the game in midfield and the 3 behind Tadic interchanged positions continuously. When possession was lost in the final 3rd they pressed fast and high to try and regain the ball as soon as possible. 

If anyone has time please watch the Ajax/Bayern game. It will show you that 4-2-3-1 and possession football is meant to be anything but boring. That is what Puel is trying to create at Leicester.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

I feel for Puel because I can see what he wants to create and it isn’t the shower of shite that is currently on display.

Ajax’s performance against Bayern in the Champions League this week was essentially the perfect embodiment of possession football in the 4-2-3-1. They had a high tempo, constantly moved the ball with pace, they mixed the passing up between intricate short passing, forward balls in behind and regularly switched the play. De Jong and Blind dictated play and controlled the game in midfield and the 3 behind Tadic interchanged positions continuously. When possession was lost in the final 3rd they pressed fast and high to try and regain the ball as soon as possible. 

If anyone has time please watch the Ajax/Bayern game. It will show you that 4-2-3-1 and possession football is meant to be anything but boring. That is what Puel is trying to create at Leicester.

Blood brilliant game, one of the best I've seen for a while. In fact Ajax play very exciting football.

Puel may be trying to do likewise but it is all at a quarter the pace and we certainly don't press as high up the pitch.

Great shame that Ajax's side will be cherry picked by the big clubs, another boring but predictable result of modern day football. Hag is doing a great job there and his win ratio in his managerial career is remarkably high . Surely destined for a big club one day.

vThis Club has been let down terribley by the Recruitment Team.   Millions upon Millions have been wasted since summer 2016. That is NOT Puel’s fault.

We currently have a forest of deadwood that needs clearing out. We know that is not going to be easy to achieve unless we take the hits and cut our losses.

It is pointless spending more money this window.  As long as we are not in danger, the better option may be to go with what we got, ship out what we can in January, freshen up the squad by recalling the two loanees  (as this costs nothing). Then make any changes at managerial level in the summer, if things do not improve.   Puel must take both Cups seriously now and if it he does not, he will be gone in January and we will end up with a fire fighter that will waste more money getting in short term solutions.  

This mess we find ourselves in, is a consequence of many things, many not down to Puel.  The squad is lop sided in so many areas except for GK.  The center of defence is a car crash and has been for two years.

Big test coming up for Puel this week.

Edited by mozartfox
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Bunyip said:

Let's not mention Silva then.

The final Shakespeare signing? Puels signings are: Diabate, Ricardo, Maddison, Evans, Ward, Ghezzal, Soyuncu, Benkovic

Of that Ricardo and Maddison are looking like successes; Diabate, Soyuncu and Benkovic are young and show promise, Ward can't really be criticised (3 games, 3 clean sheets, 4 penalties saved). Lot seem to rate Evans for some reason. The only one most would agree isn't working is Ghezzal. There are many things to criticise him for but transfer policy isn't one 

We the major work we need to do on the squad I think people are expecting too much. 

Woeful recruitment, aging players , coupled with losing 3 of our better players in Kante, Drinkwater and Mahrez over the last 3 years have left the squad in a need of a major overhaul.

Every man and his dog could see we went into the season lite in attacking positions.

CR and CS left the squad in a state and Puel has had 12 months and 2 transfer windows.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

We the major work we need to do on the squad I think people are expecting too much. 

Woeful recruitment, aging players , coupled with losing 3 of our better players in Kante, Drinkwater and Mahrez over the last 3 years have left the squad in a need of a major overhaul.

Every man and his dog could see we went into the season lite in attacking positions.

CR and CS left the squad in a state and Puel has had 12 months and 2 transfer windows.

Weren’t we told at the end of last season the squad would be overhauled during the summer... now the clowns telling the world he doesn’t need any players and that they’re preparing for the summer window.

Just now, Quorndon_Fox said:

Weren’t we told at the end of last season the squad would be overhauled during the summer... now the clowns telling the world he doesn’t need any players and that they’re preparing for the summer window.

Did we know if he has been told he can spend any money?

We did ok in the summer, just didn't get the attacking targets we needed.

I'm sorry for the Foxes and all the great fans, but most of tonights squad is a collection of total failures. You can't win any match with players like Ghezzal, Nacho, Gray, Ndidi, Mendy and Ricardo. Please give them away as soon as possible.....and Puel too

I agree with the notion that Puel isn't solely responsible for the mess we're finding ourselves in.

The table can be misleading at times - when we're up in 8th, I can live with some of the dross served on the pitch (six games unbeaten before the Spurs home game) - once you're down to 12th, the thought process kicks in and the doubts re-emerge.

However, Puel needs to take some responsibilty for the way we're playing and the way he's set up the team. This 4-2-3-1 doesn't work. Not yet. It's a frustrating watch every single week. Even the 2-0 home win against Watford looks only fine on paper, as we scored early on, let Watford dominate for the rest and we were happy to sit back and risk conceding.

This is the way it usually pans out under Puel: Either we concede first and then have to chase the game (most usual scenario this season) or we score early enough and then take the foot off the gas, playing with fire in the process.

In any case, the football on show has mostly been dire.

We lack options up front besides Vardy, very often, he has no support from midfield, be it from the flanks or through the center, we rely too heavily on Maddison to make something happen, we're left reeling whenever Maddison is out (be it due to injury or suspension), Gray still looks too selfish on the pitch and isn't clinical enough in front of goal, and often overcomplicates things. Morgan still tries to put in a 100%, but he's not made for top-flight football anymore at age 34. Too slow, too clumsy, putting teammates in danger with his false positioning.

Why Silva and Iborra are left out of the starting XI, only Puel knows. That's roughly £40m spent on two players who so far have a grand total of about 50 league appearances between them.

Iheanacho's completely lost his appetite for scoring. At the end of last season, I thought: "Heck, we've got a decent striker on our hands, one that harmonizes well with Vardy or one that could replace him in the near future". Ever since, all he's done is bit parts and unfortunately, I don't see the threat up front any more.

Our transfer policy in the past two years, up until Puel's arrival, has been a joke. All that money spent on players that couldn't make an impact, players that were left to rot on the bench or transferred away on loan or on a permanent (Musa and Slimani spring to mind).

The failure to replace older players earlier and with more decency and more organically (Morgan, Simpson, Okazaki, Fuchs, Ulloa, Huth, Benalouane; you could even include King in there due to his time at the club).

The three only good pieces of transfer business we've done so far - sentimental reasons put aside - was getting decent amount of money for Kanté, Drinkwater and Mahrez. Sadly, we have failed to replace them with players of similar stature.

What talent that has come in recently, Pereira looks kind of ok (but switches between genius and madness from game to game, some of his "defending" is ridiculous), Ghezzal tries at times, but too often goes missing and looks terribly misplaced in this league with his posture and technique, Maddison is highly promising, Söyüncü prone to the odd error, recklessness down to his young age, of Benkovic I haven't seen enough (although Celtic fans hold him in high esteem) and Ward is a great backup keeper when you look at the results with him in the starting XI so far. Diabaté has nosedived ever since arriving at the club, this summer's pre-season showed how far off he was of the first team, Evans is a solid reinforcement in central defense.

We need a more solid, robust midfield, more creativity/more creative outlets, more oomph on the pitch, real competition for places, Ndidi needs a rest and rediscover his best form, we need to try and dominate games more often, need more depth in squad, need to become more dangerous up front again. And Puel needs to find some answers to our current problems. Fast. He's been here for over a year and I can only see glimmers of a change. Most of the good football on show has been suffocated by a large blanket of dullness.

The league title and Champions League football are a thing of the past, and I know we'll probably never ever see it returning to Leicester, yet the club under Puel (and in parts under Ranieri and Shakespeare) and the football on display have given me more and more reasons to abstain from following the club. Too often, I just can't be arsed anymore. Puel to me is the symbol of this force that has managed to suck a lot of joy and passion out of me supporting this club.

We have done a rather terrible job since May 2016 and continue to do so. I know mid-table is probably about our level, maybe flirting with the Europa League realistic, but recent league finishes don't tell the whole truth.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Thanks 1

With everything that the club, and especially Top, have been through this season, sacking a manager that is fulling his brief of developing the team, bringing younger players through, and providing Premier League stability would be a massive decision. Imagine how personally awful Top would feel if he brought in the wrong man and we got relegated? Whether it's right or wrong, I just can't see him doing it this season or next unless we are seriously relegation threatened or the atmosphere takes a serious turn for the worse.

While the should he say or go debate is huge on here, I doubt very much that there is any serious consideration at all in the upper echelons of the club that Puel's job is at risk. Realistically, despite the performances, as a club we are hitting par in terms of where are in the league compared to our potential.

Edited by jim5000
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, dyanmark said:

His interview was good all about quality intensity and consistency.

I suggest he goes for a cup of tea  and a rich tea and lets someone else have a shot.

I said it from the off probably 14th ish because that is all we have to offer playing like this -far too deep and very little to offer up top.The man is stealing a living as a footy manager .

I did thnk Vardy challenge on the keeper was not a foul though he was second favourite and it looked fair.

I thought that was a harsh choice of biscuit there, but then I remembered it was Puel and that's probably his favourite type lol