Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

Available Managers should Puel get the sack

5 hours ago, AjcW said:

Christ. He’d make Puelball look like Barcelona during the Xavi, Iniesta, Messi and Ronaldinho days!!

Washed up, refuses to learn, literally sent an entire nation to sleep for the last three years. 

As for Keane ?

i think he meant martin allen and roy hodgson. 

Guest foxestalkisfullofidiots

Marcelo Gallardo - Joint most successful river plate manager in History, only 42, has just been quoted saying that he has taken river has far as he can and made no secret of his desire to manage in Europe, I say take a gamble and hope he turns out to be the next poch (but with trophies)

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 23:41, cityfanlee23 said:

Have to admit I wanted Nagelsmann too.

and look what he has done to Krameric too

1 hour ago, foxestalkisfullofidiots said:

Marcelo Gallardo - Joint most successful river plate manager in History, only 42, has just been quoted saying that he has taken river has far as he can and made no secret of his desire to manage in Europe, I say take a gamble and hope he turns out to be the next poch (but with trophies)

Whilst he's a name worth a mention, I think it's when we as supporters add the phrase 'take a gamble' it invarioubly breaks down. Our owners are successful business people and therefore don't take gambles on multi million pound investments. Whilst they can never be sure on any managerial appointment, they would want to mitigate as much risk as possible and therefore i think this chap would be consigned, understandably, to the 'not a chance' bin.

32 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Whilst he's a name worth a mention, I think it's when we as supporters add the phrase 'take a gamble' it invarioubly breaks down. Our owners are successful business people and therefore don't take gambles on multi million pound investments. Whilst they can never be sure on any managerial appointment, they would want to mitigate as much risk as possible and therefore i think this chap would be consigned, understandably, to the 'not a chance' bin.

Surly every appointment is a gamble, this guy will definitely end up at a big European club, the gamble would be his lack of English and knowledge of English football, used to play for Monaco and PSG so I have a feeling he could end up back at Monaco once they get rid of Henry.

1 hour ago, foxestalkisfullofidiots said:

Surly every appointment is a gamble, this guy will definitely end up at a big European club, the gamble would be his lack of English and knowledge of English football, used to play for Monaco and PSG so I have a feeling he could end up back at Monaco once they get rid of Henry.

Agreed, but there's big gambles and little gambles, but as you point out, he had a lack of English and knowledge of English football, so to me he represents a big gamble which is ok if it's someone else's millions, but not if it's your own. May be wrong, but don't think our owners would touch him with a barge pole.

I’d love for us to appoint Marco Rose from Salzburg. Him and his assistant Rene Maric are destined for the top but our appointments in the last decade have been quite insular.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think that's very reasonable and the point about the stats combined with  Mahrez etc are both completely valid. Let's face it, the stats aren't great are they. I suppose I just didn't personally expect anything different really, yet it's frustrating nevertheless. Looking at the mismatching state of our squad, combined with some alleged disharmony when Shakespeare got the sack, I thought whoever we got in had a mammoth task because we were seemingly were going only one way fast.

If we could have sold certain players quick that may have helped alleviate things but, any new manager, quite rightly, needs to evaluate his stock and their ability or not to adapt to a new style of play that was entirely necessary. Puel did this as did Klopp and Guadiola let's not forget.

I'm  not 100% convinced by everything myself but like Guadiola, whilst I'm sure Puel recognises that the performances on the pitch don't equal what's in his head, he also recognises like Guadiola he needs a change in personnel. The difference being that Man City had much more saleable quality assetts compared to our ageing long contract high earning difficult to shift ones. Some of our players may also unhealthily weild some considerable power compared with the 'perform or be shifted out' attitude of Guadiolas more powerful and quality player laden club. Undoubtedly, Puel is having to internally complete quite an unpleasant and unpopular hatchet job, but boy does it need one, yet the the complexity of some of the players contractual situations and saleability make it problematic.

You can't replace a Mahrez easily, players like that are almost a once in a lifetime purchase at that price and we couldn't attract or pay for such a finished article. The young players you mentioned are the start of a different approach by the club which I feel will work ... eventually and therein lies the problem. They wil need help (and time to develop) but that also will take at least another summer transfer window. What is happening at the moment is, I agree, not great but may be a necessary price to pay for the long term regardless of whether Puel stays or not. My fear would be that to change horses now in the midst of a plan could either derail the club or merely extend the pain and mediocrity instead of remaining steadfast and aiming high. Any new manager coming in will also need to evaluate his stock over a season before spending yet even more money on his philosophy or vision which also may or may not work. Recent purchases have been better and you can at least see a logic there. I understand also the view that a new manager could come in and get this current crop to play a different system, but is this not just a clambering for short term solutions rather than sticking to longer term ambitions in a system with more longevity in it? Sometimes it takes courage to stick to a plan or an investment when returns in the short term appear poor. The alternative is to blindly follow the majority of the Premiership in the quick results or get sacked managerial model. Understandable if you're about to be relegated but if not, sometimes daring to be different and adding a bit of stability could pay off in the long run. Just my thoughts.

I'm not pinning absolutely everything on Puel and never have done by the way. I don't think this job is an easy one. You're walking into a job where there is some talent, but undoubted gaps in the squad and a number of players on contracts that they frankly shouldn't be. When people constantly suggest throwing another £50million at every problem I get a bit concerned - because if you get it wrong, like we have (and I'll come to this), you are just adding to the mess and not actually solving anything.

Spending big money on ageing players is a ridiculous way to go about things. Summer 2016 gets rightly pinpointed as an absolute shocker in terms of recruitment but 2017 wasn't exactly loads better either. Iborra I think is OK in patches but is another player the wrong side of 30 tied down to a contract until 2021, when he'll be 33 years old, on a wage I reckon you're looking at about £70k a week (give or take 20k). Silva is another one tied down for the same length I believe, until he's about 32 years old, at a cost of north of £20million. These are two examples of players and none of them are even getting much game-time in the league. The reasons for this are probably valid (though Iborra can arguably feel a bit hard done to) but that's a shocking situation and they aren't the only ones. You've got loads of players on money effectively being rewarded for the title win when in theory their ability dictates they should probably be on less (I'm looking at the likes of Simpson and Morgan here). It isn't an easy job and once you start overpaying in fees and wages you put yourself on a slippery slope, so we've got to be careful.

But I think even despite all this, with the squad at his disposal he just isn't getting anything like the best from them. The stats I posted are poor and the fans, granted on the back of a whirlwind few years are turning apathetic very quickly. It reminds me of West Brom's fans under Pulis to an extent. The attendance tomorrow night will be quite telling.

I don't have massively high demands or expectations from Puel because I get there are problems here, but I'm just not seeing a jot of progress other than being able to keep the ball better, and unfortunately while we aren't creating chances then I don't really see the merit to it. We've become the model side of the type we used to gobble up in 2015/16, the sort of side who falls into all the traps we'd have set then. When it's put like that, you've got to question the direction we're taking this.

The bit that really concerns me is that I feel like we've decided that our identity needed totally abandoning when in truth I think the fault was more with poor recruitment more than anything. Ranieri was shocking in 2016/17 and Shakespeare was clearly out of his depth, but we are still even now at our best when we are pressing teams from the front, playing with genuine intensity (this means the likes of Okazaki and Albrighton start for me) which questions how many strides we've truly made playing a different way. I'm not advocating going back to anything like that kind of nonsense we served up at Huddersfield and Bournemouth in September 2017 but I'm not totally convinced we've made the right move. A club like ours needs to think out of the box to ever compete with the top clubs, not just become a watered down version of them.

• Like 3

On 16/12/2018 at 16:51, cityfanlee23 said:

Ironically people are saying Jardim yet his style of football pretty much Mimics Puels, except his team was generally more attacking focused last season where he had one of the best teams in Europe. Not really sure what people expect Jardim to do with our squad, we are transitioning but still have a fair few one dimensional players.

Really?

4 hours ago, Stadt said:

I’d love for us to appoint Marco Rose from Salzburg. Him and his assistant Rene Maric are destined for the top but our appoints in the last decade have been quite insular.

He's a shout as well. I watched them on Thursday against Celtic and thought they were fantastic.

15 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

True, slimani, musa, nacho all peanuts

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Those calling for Jardim forget the plethora of talent he had, including Mbappe, Fabinho and a few other stars. We have a talented squad but nothing on that level 

And why is that something to be used against him? He had a talented group of youngsters and he played them and they were phenomenal. We dream of doing something similar, yet the likelihood is remote but if that's the model you are going for then go for a manager who has done it before. Or are you suggesting we get a manager ill prepared to believe in a squad of young players?

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

And why is that something to be used against him? He had a talented group of youngsters and he played them and they were phenomenal. We dream of doing something similar, yet the likelihood is remote but if that's the model you are going for then go for a manager who has done it before. Or are you suggesting we get a manager ill prepared to believe in a squad of young players?

Simply trying to be realistic. He'd get appointed and people would start expecting the amazing play seen at Monaco. Then when it didn't go well, you'd have everyone complaining again. 

But, I am all for this type of calibre manager. He represents the type of person we're looking to attract to the club and I'm all for us having a plan 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, davieG said:

The pool of managers we could attract has just got smaller now Man U are after someone :yesyes:

We've won the league and gone further in the Champions League in recent seasons. Plus a lot of their players joined us and progressed their careers.

Leicester > Man United.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1