Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel 'Facing the sack' - reports

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Yh if only Puel would have scored those sitters...

I’ve watched Shinji long enough now to know he’s been making scoring a goal look like the hardest thing in the world and he missed two of them. There were plenty of other selection options. I’m not a Puel outer but some of the selections today made little sense even to me, one who wants to give him a chance. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I had no problem with any of Puel's substitutions today.

James hadn't played in an age and bringing on King it was a like for like swap and King has a goal in him. 

Not anymore he doesn't.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Just checking... when it was abject and dire last season, weren’t we saying that Puel needed time to implement his style and a window to overhaul the squad?

Seems like a bit of deja vu to me :dunno:

We've just beaten Chelsea, Man City and Everton, it isn't abject or dire.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Just checking... when it was abject and dire last season, weren’t we saying that Puel needed time to implement his style and a window to overhaul the squad?

And it’s been better, hence the improved league position. One match does not sum up a season. This seasons performances so far (excluding today) should be acceptable.

I think its more of a matter of when not if Puel gets sacked now, he has lost a good amount of the fans who he will never be able to get back, and trying to keep a manager around with that kind of environment is just not going to go well for the club in the long run

Give him the rest of the season, then get someone new in nice and early in the summer

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

You get sacked for failing to meet your targets. Whatever they are. 

If our owners expected a cup run and he plays his reserves against Man City for no obvious reason and loses, then plays Matty James and Andy King in the FA Cup and loses then, yes, he should be worried for his job. 

It's almost like giving Top the middle finger and saying **** your objectives. It doesn't matter where we are in the league. 

But we don't know really know if that's the case. We don't know what Vichai set out as Puel's mandate for the season. 

I think one thing none of us can deny, whether we like Puel or not, is that the squad is ludicrously thin and you only have to scratch the surface to find absolute dross. I'd personally argue that, in fairness to Puel, I don't actually think he has a good starting 11, let alone squad. We don't have a single winger that inspires me with any confidence except our right back. 

So with such a lack of depth, do we believe Vichai (and now Top) would have expected us to win a cup competition and be top half? I'd personally be surprised really. 

Make no mistake, the buck stops with the manager and the board will be extremely unhappy with the undeniable embarrassment of this result. But I highly doubt success in this competition was a key part of how CP will be measured this year. 

Brilliant post except Albrighton is a class winger

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

You get sacked for failing to meet your targets. Whatever they are. 

If our owners expected a cup run and he plays his reserves against Man City for no obvious reason and loses, then plays Matty James and Andy King in the FA Cup and loses then, yes, he should be worried for his job. 

It's almost like giving Top the middle finger and saying **** your objectives. It doesn't matter where we are in the league. 

But we don't know really know if that's the case. We don't know what Vichai set out as Puel's mandate for the season. 

I think one thing none of us can deny, whether we like Puel or not, is that the squad is ludicrously thin and you only have to scratch the surface to find absolute dross. I'd personally argue that, in fairness to Puel, I don't actually think he has a good starting 11, let alone squad. We don't have a single winger that inspires me with any confidence except our right back. 

So with such a lack of depth, do we believe Vichai (and now Top) would have expected us to win a cup competition and be top half? I'd personally be surprised really. 

Make no mistake, the buck stops with the manager and the board will be extremely unhappy with the undeniable embarrassment of this result. But I highly doubt success in this competition was a key part of how CP will be measured this year. 

Great post apart from think you maybe wrong regarding the cup as in his post match interview he said the clubs objectives for the cup was supposed to better than that and I’m sure it was said somewhere Vichai wanted to win a cup this season. 

21 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I had no problem with any of Puel's substitutions today.

James hadn't played in an age and bringing on King it was a like for like swap and King has a goal in him. 

We were desperate for a goal 

king for James is pretty well like for like (agree king has a goal in him but he isn’t match sharp) 

surely we needed a Ricardo for his energy to push us on rather than keeping the two in midfield ??.

it just smacked of a pre match plan with no adjustment for the fact we weren’t winning ...

3 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

He’s got to go! I will not be attending another Leicester game and parting with hard earned cash to be bored stiff for 90 minutes until Puel is out! Didn’t want him to start with and this stance hasn’t changed at any point! 

Hey Lesta2014, 

Funny mate as you think you have a devine right to see the 15/16 season repeat each year along with sexy high tempo football..

Suggest you join the Liverpool gravy train instead if you are not prepared to follow your team through the lows as well as highs. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

We've just beaten Chelsea, Man City and Everton, it isn't abject or dire.

Those results only retain their magic for me if we’re beating a Crystal Palace side that hadn’t won without Zaha for two years, a gritty but unspectacular Cardiff side at home and a League Two team in the cup. Each to their own I suppose though.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Evington Fosse Fox said:

Hey Lesta2014, 

Funny mate as you think you have a devine right to see the 15/16 season repeat each year along with sexy high tempo football..

Suggest you join the Liverpool gravy train instead if you are not prepared to follow your team through the lows as well as highs. 

No I don’t! Season ticket holder through the Levein and Holloway days and those games were far more entertaining! Ironically I only went to about 3/4 games during 15/16 season. 

3 minutes ago, Koke said:

Puel has done a very underrated job at Leicester City so far.

Some people are so one dimensional in terms of analysing him. Blinded by hate and emotions after every defeat. 

It's very harsh for people to be calling for him to be fired. Any manager who takes over a 14th place side, finishes 9th then has them in 7th half-way through the next season is doing something right, regardless of his spending. And our spending has hardly been through the roof. When you factor in all of the other circumstances - the helicopter tragedy, the way we're trying to introduce younger players and a new style - it seems crazy to talk about firing him.

But I think there are sensible criticisms of Puel too. It's not only the blind and the hateful doing that. Even though his critics are armed with the benefit of hindsight, it's easy to point out possible problems.

Firstly there are the reported problems - things which are indicated, likely, but unproven. Credible sources claim he's lost a lot of the dressing room and some of the backroom staff. Maybe it's true, maybe not, but if it's happened then there'll only be one outcome. He also made big selection calls before two Cup exits, fielding weakened sides despite the Cups having reportedly been discussed as a priority at interview. One of those exits was among the club's worst results in 17 or 18 years.

Secondly, there are the perfectly evident problems. There's the lack of goals, and the historical lack of goals for his strikers and sides in English football. There's the difficulty breaking down sides that sit deep, and in providing a threat from the favoured slow build-up play. There's the shaky first half displays. The over-abundance of central defenders in his recruitment, compared to the lack of strikers. The two defensive midfielders, the 11-men set-up for defending set pieces, the lone diminutive striker, the rejection of the high press in games where we struggle to create, and resort to swinging cross after cross into the box because we can't find any other way through. The attacking midfielder out on loan when we've spent money on apparently inferior players, and struggle to create chances for our strikers.

On balance, the things he's done well should still outweigh the question marks and criticisms. But that table is tight and we're a run of three or four poor results away from 13th, at which point people would ask if Puel really had taken us all that far forward. Our next six games feature three top sides and three weaker sides, and it'll be interesting to see whether we can maintain our ridiculously good form against top sides, and improve on our approach against sides that may sit deeper.

If people are being negative then, yes, if we do neither of those things, we will look back on today as the beginning of the end for Puel. Big Cup upsets are often pivotal - we improved massively after the Harlow and Exeter losses (thanks Foxestalk History), but fell apart after Wycombe in 2001, and Huddersfield in 2013. Hopefully we'll use it to become a better side.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Or but we are 7th in the league scenario where we will end up 9th-12th because Vardy is still struggling and we have no other strikers and we can’t break down teams at home. 

29 minutes ago, Koke said:

Puel has done a very underrated job at Leicester City so far.

Some people are so one dimensional in terms of analysing him. Blinded by hate and emotions after every defeat. 

More like after I don’t how many boring games we’ve been endured to and avoidable losses in cups where we had a great chance of winning