Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel 'Facing the sack' - reports

2 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Most of the Puel in people agree, Puel is not good at breaking teams down, and absolutely picked the wrong team.  He also (for once, and with hindsight) got the subs wrong - particularly Ricardo not coming on.  

However, the Puel in people are also realistic. We are 7th in the PL, 7 points from 6th. That is an excellent performance with the squad we've got, no matter how you spin it. He can't play Vardy week in week out. In addition, we were very close to winning this game, absolutely dreadful finishing. He has also increased the net worth of our squad by several 10s of millions since the start of this season alone. Pretty much all the transfers in under his tenure have been successes. 

My thoughts exactly. I couldn't have put it any better myself. 

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Perhaps I think the manager has a lot of issues to solve, perhaps I think it can take time to get things right, perhaps I don't have a short memory and can remember all the same shit being said about Pearson his first season back, whilst dealing with similar issues. Perhaps I have patience and I'm not a whiny little baby throwing my toys out because a manager has the audacity to not get perfection in a year.

Whether we end up there or not, the fact is we are currently.

Out of reps for today but this is spot on.

2 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Or quite possibly none of them. We've led them all for the first half of the season, despite plenty of our fans throwing a paddy.

People predicting things based on their dislike for a manager and nothing based on position or form. Watford and Everton 2 wins in 10.... yeah they look great!!!

• Like 1

I miss the times when I knew whether we were shit or decent. I don’t think there has been a more confusing time whilst I’ve been following us. I suppose it’s the opposite of our first year back when we we felt we were decent yet sat bottom of the league, now we look shit a lot of the time yet sit 7th. 

Puel cant afford to wait until the summer to make squad changes, he needs some sort of positivity from this window and not just outgoings. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, inckley fox said:

I don't understand the debate over team selection. The decision to start with Okazaki and James was questionable, and not to have Vardy on the bench equally so (Puel's post-match RL interview was slightly revealing in this respect), but the issue wasn't that side's capacity to beat a League Two side.

It's also too easy to say 'Puel can't be blamed for having a lousy squad'. There were five of our PL winners out there, 55m+ worth of signings (and, if you include Maddison, 45m+ of players signed by Puel) and 7 internationals. It was a perfectly credible line-up, way superior in terms of quality, and should have served as proof that our squad has a lot going for it. Which, I maintain, it has. If we can afford to loan out 45-50m in signings, leave Barnes at Brom, Benkovic at Celtic, off-load players of the pedigree of Silva and Iborra, then I'd say our options are better than many other PL clubs'. And that side should have won.

Players obviously take a big share of the blame for that, but it's impossible to avoid the fact that we struggle to beat sides of any level - home or away, with any combination of players - when the onus is on us having to find a way to break them down. I appreciate there were missed chances, that our strikers could have bagged 1 or 2 more - and yet we're arguing over whether Leicester did or didn't deserve to scrape a second or third goal against Newport. The bar has to be higher than that. And it's not as if we've been an attacking force in the league either. No matter who we play up front - Gray, Vardy, Okazaki, Iheanacho, Slimani before that - they struggle. Some games we miss chances, others we hardly make any, but either way we struggle for goals.

Puel's time in English football suggests a manager whose answers to these problems don't always translate well to our domestic game, and I hope he looks seriously now at some of his fundamental ideas about breaking down more defensive-minded, workmanlike sides. If we don't have the personnel to build effectively and patiently from the back then, after this long in charge, it's time for a rethink.

None of that means we should resort to route one, or fire him. We're in a difficult time, chairman-less, in transition, and yet we're 7th in the table after finishing 9th last year (from 14th when Puel took over). Maybe in a few weeks time the picture will be different, but for now we need to avoid rashness - and, crucially, learn from this.

And great stuff by Newport. Yes, our players and staff let us down today, but they would have been a nightmare for a lot of good sides.

Best post of the day :thumbup:

Just now, RowlattsFox said:

I miss the times when I knew whether we were shit or decent. I don’t think there has been a more confusing time whilst I’ve been following us. I suppose it’s the opposite of our first year back when we we felt we were decent yet sat bottom of the league, now we look shit a lot of the time yet sit 7th. 

Puel cant afford to wait until the summer to make squad changes, he needs some sort of positivity from this window and not just outgoings. 

The life of a midtable team in any league. Frustration at the lack of consistency.

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Perhaps I think the manager has a lot of issues to solve, perhaps I think it can take time to get things right, perhaps I don't have a short memory and can remember all the same shit being said about Pearson his first season back, whilst dealing with similar issues. Perhaps I have patience and I'm not a whiny little baby throwing my toys out because a manager has the audacity to not get perfection in a year.

Whether we end up there or not, the fact is we are currently.

I’m torn between this and “if we’d takeb 2 points from the last four games, as we might well have done, we’d be in 13th on 24 points, out both cups and still playing poor football 80% of the time, and getting no service to vardy”.

I feel this was a case of having your cake and wanting to eat it too. What I mean by that is Puel, I think we're just trying to feel the good enough Squad to win this game, which he did, and wanted to rest some important players. Hello the overall performance was not great, this game was there for the taking. The story all year has been our bad finishing, that continued today. I may be crazy but this game screamed for a Ullia type player. Get your crosses in to a Target man. Have it done and dusted in the first half. January transfer window... Target forward

Yes 7th.

How is that happening? 

It’s a mystery!

Surely you can see we are playing rubbish football, perservering with the 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-2-1 so defensive.

So stubborn he will not sign anymore strikers.

Fielded a weakened team against Man City in the LC which cost us.

And now Newport his team selection and tactics were again questionable.

Puel will still be here and should still be here until the end of the season at least. See where we are at then. I think he is doing a good job with the squad he has. Bringing through the younger players whilst keeping us in the top half is great going. 

Majority of his signings have been good additions. Ward, Evans, Ricardo, Maddison and bringing Mendy back in to the first team is like having another signing. I’ll reserve judgement on Soyunco and benkovic until they’ve played a few more games for us ( or any in benkovic’s case) I think given another summer we will get better and stronger again, but time will tell. 

1 minute ago, shade said:

I’m torn between this and “if we’d takeb 2 points from the last four games, as we might well have done, we’d be in 13th on 24 points, out both cups and still playing poor football 80% of the time, and getting no service to vardy”.

Deal with where we are, and where we finish at the end of the season. Too many ifs buts and maybes to think of anything else.

I look at the league and we are very similar to all the others, a total lack of consistency.

I look at our squad and see the job that needs doing on it is massive, no matter who is in charge. 

We are all but safe, follow the plan. Shed the dead wood in Jan and the summer and the squad might have a totally different look to it and see where we are then.

• Like 2