Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel 'Facing the sack' - reports

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

Which is pretty funny as the first 2/3 of pearson's season in the EPl was a snooze fest (yet people moan about puel's football), and he was mostly in the bottom 3 in that time.

So what gave pearson the get out of jail free card vs puel?  He got us promoted but that to me doesnt warrant the difference in treatment from the FT mob.

In my opinion the quality of the league was better back then. There is so much dross in the league this year that we can sit 7th with a manager that has a worse record than Peter Taylor! 

When we were having the poor season games were exciting and we never lost by more than 1 goal, there was no getting thrashed by 5 at Palace whacked for 4 at Bournemouth etc

i do agree the league championships gave him a free pass; Claude blew his pass for me and many others when he played a weakened team last year in the cup against Man City when we would have gone on to play Bristol and an appauling Arsenal side 

I do feel now he is treading water; we can try and finish 7th and hope that other clubs do us a favour to get us into a europe. What you have to remember is we would need to qualify and play games all summer yet if we had won a cup we would be straight into the group stage and something tells me Claude wouldn’t take the competition seriously anyway! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mark - Reading said:

In my opinion the quality of the league was better back then. There is so much dross in the league this year that we can sit 7th with a manager that has a worse record than Peter Taylor! 

When we were having the poor season games were exciting and we never lost by more than 1 goal, there was no getting thrashed by 5 at Palace whacked for 4 at Bournemouth etc

i do agree the league championships gave him a free pass; Claude blew his pass for me and many others when he played a weakened team last year in the cup against Man City when we would have gone on to play Bristol and an appauling Arsenal side 

I do feel now he is treading water; we can try and finish 7th and hope that other clubs do us a favour to get us into a europe. What you have to remember is we would need to qualify and play games all summer yet if we had won a cup we would be straight into the group stage and something tells me Claude wouldn’t take the competition seriously anyway! 

You need to take a rest from the internet its fried your brains 

the summer spend in the PL this summer was £850m around 6/8 times what it was back then ! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gazza M said:

Folks just be careful what we wish for. Yes embarrassing last night. Not the greatest style of football. However we are doing well in the league and Puel has a big job trying to move this squad of players forwards. We need to be patient. I don't think changing manager every 12-18 months is the answer. 

Horrible not to get another cup run (Puel QF in 3 comps out of 4 in his time) but no way near as bad as starting a new season away at Preston with the likes of Don Goodman and co back in the Championship. I am convinced Lord Claudio was taking us there in 16-17 if the board allowed him to stay on.

I want to see Puel get a couple of players in to give us a bit more firepower and creativity and trim the fat from this swollen squad this month.

I think next summer he can finally get the squad to his liking and then no excuses. But the recruitment needs to be better than recent history by all in the club not just the manager. 

Klopp needed 3 years and 6 transfer windows to get a proper team together. Puel will likely not have as huge of an impact as Klopp but it shows that this isn't a quick fix. Also, we as a fan base need to get real about our expectations of the ambitions of this club. What do we actually want realistically?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TaggertvsWise said:

Bullshit. Kaspar, Maguire, Morgan, Evans, Chilwell, Pereira, N’didi, Albrighton, Vardy, Maddison, even Gray.... all characters and all part of a new revolution that will see us in good stead. That’s just the first tier..

Bullshit.

Gray is ‘character’ ? Not in a good way.

Maddison; talented but seems a lazy bastard to me. 

Maguire & Chilwell will run to one of the big six in the summer, so they won’t be here for any ‘revolution’

Puel’s ‘building for the future’ therefore to be a non entity.

17 minutes ago, Mark - Reading said:

I think this post highlights just how irrational fans are on football. I'm equally as guilty, but this is just outrageous. That season under Pearson was fcukin awful from October to late March, absolutely soul destroying. The joy and relief of finally getting back to the Premier League and then we were heading straight back down. 

Some of the football was half decent, but nowhere near as decent as some of the football we've seen under Puel. If I could, I'd make you sit and watch the games vs Sunderland at home in early December, the Stoke home game in January, the famous Palace home game where Pearson strangled James McArthur and the Hull home game where they were down to 10 men for most of the game and we still couldn't score or win. Not to mention the abysmal games like West Ham away, Wrst Brom at home. There were so many. Yes we never got hammered but this season, bar the Bournemouth debacle we haven't seen too many games where we've been taken apart.

The truth is, it's all just mundane and a bit boring under Puel which is making grown men want to nut pool balls but we could be a hell of a lot worse and may well be in the next few years if our finances are severely restricted, then we'll appreciate it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Koke said:

Klopp needed 3 years and 6 transfer windows to get a proper team together. Puel will likely not have as huge of an impact as Klopp but it shows that this isn't a quick fix. Also, we as a fan base need to get real about our expectations of the ambitions of this club. What do we actually want realistically?

Agree with all this. Instant gratification culture is at least part to blame, followed by 2 other factors

- Winning the league

- Puel is not Pearson

Just my opinion mind, but regardless, everyone is stil :scarf:

10 minutes ago, Koke said:

To be entertained and have a go at a Cup.

Do that and finish 17th and above and I wouldnt be whinging. 

Alas as we have the opposite scenario.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FilbertFrog said:

You need to take a rest from the internet its fried your brains 

the summer spend in the PL this summer was £850m around 6/8 times what it was back then ! 

What’s that got do with it?

Have you not noticed the hyper inflation in football in the last 10 - 15 years? 

What you get for £30m or whatever figure now is significantly less than in years gone. This league is shit bar the top 6 no question about it.

The clincher to my argument is that we sit in 7th. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Koke said:

.....taking cup competitions seriously when there's nothing else realistically to play for in the league anymore. 

That would be a good start! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Bullshit.

Gray is ‘character’ ? Not in a good way.

Maddison; talented but seems a lazy bastard to me. 

Maguire & Chilwell will run to one of the big six in the summer, so they won’t be here for any ‘revolution’

Puel’s ‘building for the future’ therefore to be a non entity.

All speculation and unsubstantiated opinion

18 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Surely you would though if we actually finished 17th

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Simoken said:

I didnt want to take part in the post Newport forum due to the egg shell attitude our fans have adopted. I have to be brutally honest and say we have the most undecided fickle fanbase in the PL. A large majority of you all only come one here to bitch and moan when the team isnt doing well. We are in the best position right now, with a healthy squad of players who seem to love being here, and you are all talking about sacking the manager and how its all going wrong.. ****ing hell 4 years ago if we were in this position by xmas this wouldnt come to pass... whats happened why are we so utterly depressing..

Yes we lost against Newport and shouldnt of happened, no excuses for the manager or the players. but a sackable offence? haha to those expressing that on here, piss off you vultures.

Agree with most of this, even though my opinion is divided on Puel but the " healthy squad of players " I'd have to take you to task on. We haven't and Puel knows this and has the difficult task if moving on a lot of aging players and/or expensive failures. We have a nucleus of about 15-16 promising and proven players but it is unbalanced and I'm appreciative he's keeping us clear of relegation whilst he tries to improve this. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Koke said:

and the ability to spend 70 odd million on some of the best players in the world.

31 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Or alternatively we could finish as high up the table and the money, prestige that entails and maybe (just maybe) get into Europe

20 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Not having that at all, you wouldn't. You and many others (me included) would be on here slagging the manager off that he needs to go as we are at risk of relegation. You dont come 17th without the very real possibility of relegation and whilst that is happening, fans would be screaming that the cup can fcuk off and it's not enough of a reason to keep the manager at that moment in time.

Ranieri was being abused to high heaven and we were still in the last 16 of the Champions League and also the 5th round of the FA Cup against league one opposition and yet that meant fcuk all to the fans, myself included. He had to go.

This myth that fans would accept a dog muck league standing but silverware in the cup is something very rarely played out in the real world, just a final standing where the outcome seems acceptable and positive. What happens if we got 17th and lost in the semi's or the final? Still happy with the manager as at least it was more exciting and we were so close to winning the cup? Much more acceptable and rewarding than coming 7th and being a c unt in the cups? 

I want more silverware but it doesnt have to be with a crap league position as some sort of plea bargain for it to happen. Puel is boring, fans cant bond with him. That's the long and short of it.

I don't understand why people can't accept that scenarios change as well as club goals and expectations.

We were defending Champions, at the time he was sacked we were 17th having won 5 games in 21 in the League and we'd been beaten 14 times. That simply wasn't, nor isn't, good enough for a side defending the title of Champions of England. But I was still amazingly proud of our Champions League run and it created memories i'll cherish as much as I cherished the PL win.

But right now we're a nothing club. Destined to be last every weekend on Match of the Day until the end of the season because we don't play an expansive brand of football, we don't concede many but we don't score many, we're boring and we're going to finish 7th to 12th. 

I don't even see how it's a "this or that" scenario. We're more than capable of maintaining mid table while playing our first 11 in the cup games. If you don't think that we are then you best pray to God that we don't get into Europe.

Edited by AKCJ

1 hour ago, Lookatthebluesky said:

Er don’t think Liverpool supporters complain about Klopp’s brand of football and they have been royally entertained rather than having to watch Puel’s bore fest every week (Man City game apart)

Think if Puel had Liverpools players you wouldn't get a bore fest. His French teams were known for a particular brand of attacking football.  Klopps pressing game requires certain types of players. So does Puels intended style which works, he just hasn't got the necessary players yet. Chilwell, Pereira, Maddison and a few others are getting there but he's a minimum of 2 short plus squad back up. Our mismatch of players are incapable as yet of playing any definitive style whether that be pivot, pressing, passing or counterattacking that we used to employ. It needs time and targeted recruitment and not constant change. Removal of Puel now would be counterproductive imo leading to a manager who would perhaps decide differently and want another 12 months watching and another 2 windows to recruit. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Agree with most of this, even though my opinion is divided on Puel but the " healthy squad of players " I'd have to take you to task on. We haven't and Puel knows this and has the difficult task if moving on a lot of aging players and/or expensive failures. We have a nucleus of about 15-16 promising and proven players but it is unbalanced and I'm appreciative he's keeping us clear of relegation whilst he tries to improve this. 

I agree with you on the subject of deadwood, I was mostly concentrating on the healthy releationship that a majority of these players enjoy playing under the manager and the club. Most importantly the younger generation ie.. Chilwells interview the otherday expressing his happiness under Puel and for the others.

Edited by Simoken
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I don't understand why people can't accept that scenarios change as well as club goals and expectations.

We were defending Champions, at the time he was sacked we were 17th having won 5 games in 21 in the League and we'd been beaten 14 times. That simply wasn't, nor isn't, good enough for a side defending the title of Champions of England. But I was still amazingly proud of our Champions League run and it created memories i'll cherish as much as I cherished the PL win.

But right now we're a nothing club. Destined to be last every weekend on Match of the Day until the end of the season because we don't play an expansive brand of football, we don't concede many but we don't score many, we're boring and we're going to finish 7th to 12th. 

I don't even see how it's a "this or that" scenario. We're more than capable of maintaining mid table while playing our first 11 in the cup games. If you don't think that we are then you best pray to God that we don't get into Europe.

I dont understand how you see it simply as that,  'right now we're a nothing club'

Yes we dont score and concede much, so if you look at it purely in those terms then we're Burnley of last season right?

Except we're clearly not and clearly in transition and we dont really know how Puel's team is going to look until we have a couple more transfer windows

How we are playing now is not the be all and end all of the trajectory we're on.  Thats my opinion anyway.  But if i'm wrong and it ends up being as far as Puel's reign will go then he can go once this is demonstrable.  At the moment I dont see how someone can be of the opinion that we are aiming to be exactly where we are now.  We're not, but it takes time, and being a nothing club with security in the top half of the table is actually something new and exciting for us, premier league title aside

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

I dont understand how you see it simply as that,  'right now we're a nothing club'

Yes we dont score and concede much, so if you look at it purely in those terms then we're Burnley of last season right?

Except we're clearly not and clearly in transition and we dont really know how Puel's team is going to look until we have a couple more transfer windows

How we are playing now is not the be all and end all of the trajectory we're on.  Thats my opinion anyway.  But if i'm wrong and it ends up being as far as Puel's reign will go then he can go once this is demonstrable.  At the moment I dont see how someone can be of the opinion that we are aiming to be exactly where we are now.  We're not, but it takes time, and being a nothing club with security in the top half of the table is actually something new and exciting for us, premier league title aside

Hence 'right now'.

Nothing interesting is going on at Leicester is there?