Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel 'Facing the sack' - reports

55 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The point was, perhaps the manager know a little bit more than you (or me), and sometime it's perhaps worth giving people the benefit of doubt before lambasting them. Nothing to do with hindsight, it was blindingly obvious something was actually happening. 

I accept that. However the original point remains that playing Matty James in that game was an incredibly daft decision. I may have jumped the gun a little on who i’d have had in instead. 

I hope to god it was a protest pick because there was no way Matty should have been exposed to that situation. He wasn’t ready and it told. 

16 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Has Puel got some Russian Bots doing his defending? Seems like a load of relentless nonsense most of the time.

Yeah man. Can't believe anyone is defending him. It's pretty clear that we wouldn't have as many points if we hadn't won those games we won and we're only 7th because Puel won those games we'd only usually win every 14 years and if we'd lost them like we should have but actually didn't then we'd be 14th which is our true position except it's not because somehow we're 7th. Man's a fraud.

• Haha 3

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Being completely slagged off on 5 live now for his FA Cup team selection … quite rightly so.

Do foreign managers not understand the importance of our domestic cups ?

He did at Southampton, played his strongest side most of the time and got to two finals in a season.

2 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Being completely slagged off on 5 live now for his FA Cup team selection … quite rightly so.

Like Eddie Howeski and Chris Hughtonella ? 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Given all bar one have to have won it since 2004 have been foreign, I reckon so.

Is Neil Warnock being slagged off for playing a weakened team? Eddie Howe? Or does being crap in the league, as opposed to competent, automatically excuse you?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Why change then ?

Because we'd just had the Christmas period and have a large squad he needs to keep happy. He put out a team more than capable of beating Newport and they let him down. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, oxford blue said:

For example, if we got to quarter final, it would probably be similar to finishing 2 places higher, given extra tv revenue.

The prize money would be just over £600,000 for getting to a quarter final in the FA Cup, that's just over a quarter of what you get for each place in the prem' £2m. It only starts paying good money when you reach the semi finals really. 

The league cup has ZERO prize money unless you get to the final, when you get £50k or £100k if you win. Which is frankly shocking. 

5 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

Firstly, with regards to the finances, that is a hypothetical position to take. It would depend on much higher we finished in PL as a consequence of playing a weakened team. (Probably not much difference - will 1 game make much difference). For example, if we got to quarter final, it would probably be similar to finishing 2 places higher, given extra tv revenue. 

Secondly, momentum and confidence is important in any sport. Quite possible, a good cup run would help league form, particularly as there are no European games to play.

Thirdly, what about the fans, so important to Leicester? A good cup generates interest and enthusiasm across the city. If the playerswere so tired by afew cup that games we dropped points in PL, would the average fan prefer to finish say, 2  places lower ( wehave no chance of being relegated) or trying to win a competition we have the record of number of losing finals without a win?

Finally, is not the season effectively over? Realistically, no chance of a Champions League spot and I am unconvinced of the overall merits of a Europa League place.

PS Was Vardy unable to play? I may have missed something but I had not seen he was injured. Unless he wS,  very strange decision not to have him on the bench.

I feel for travelling fans but essentially cup fails are not reasons for sacking a manager. 

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Why change then ?

That's my point - maybe this stuff comes from the top.

Sadly, Pearson and Ranieri rarely put the strongest sides out in the FA Cup as well.

5 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

You think English managers don't do exactly the same thing?

7 minutes ago, Dames said:

I accept that. However the original point remains that playing Matty James in that game was an incredibly daft decision. I may have jumped the gun a little on who i’d have had in instead. 

I hope to god it was a protest pick because there was no way Matty should have been exposed to that situation. He wasn’t ready and it told. 

No problem with questioning James being picked, said myself I felt it was a mistake as you knew at some point you'd lose a sub because he would have to come off. 

1 minute ago, MattP said:

That's my point - maybe this stuff comes from the top.

Sadly, Pearson and Ranieri rarely put the strongest sides out in the FA Cup as well.

Interesting observation.

Perhaps I should rephrase it … why don't foreign owners understand the importance of our domestic cups ?

Somehow doubt though Top had much input into yesterday's team selection.

Just a general point but I don't think our transfer policy (investing in youth and potential) would change if Puel were to leave.

Absolutely zero proof to back this up but I doubt Maddison was a player Puel wanted off his own accord. I'm sure our scouting dept identified him long before last season ended, similar to how we signed Maguire.

Pretty sure Benkovic and Soyuncu were also signed without too much input from the manager, as alluded to by a couple of ITK's (supposedly) on here.

Just to be clear, I don't expect the manager to be the driving force behind every transfer (although he was for Pereira which was a fantastic piece of business), I just get the impression some fans beleive that if Puel were to leave, then so would our transfer strategy, which is simply not true. 

Edited by Fosse93

10 minutes ago, Dames said:

James needed a run out against someone other than the under 23s and I can’t see him playing instead of wilf or mendy so this would have been one of the only opportunities he gets. 

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The prize money would be just over £600,000 for getting to a quarter final in the FA Cup, that's just over a quarter of what you get for each place in the prem' £2m. It only starts paying good money when you reach the semi finals really. 

The league cup has ZERO prize money unless you get to the final, when you get £50k or £100k if you win. Which is frankly shocking. 

If those figures are accurate then that is woeful, let alone for a billion pound a year business. 

However figures do not tell you how important it is for fans to have days out at Wembley. I can remember all the wembley days I have been to since Derby play offs, finishing mid table in the Prem is great for bank balance but hardly memorable. Look at Everton, mid table in Prem for years and have won nothing, cups should be taken extremely seriously. 

9 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Why change then ?

Probably because he got sacked after taking Southampton to the final.

Not defending Puel but I can see why his mindset on the cups would change as a result.

14 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Very happy at the minute. 

Our squad was better than Burnley’s but certainly not good enough to play in Europe. Next season we’ll have a much better squad. 

Cardiff, Palace and Fulham matches were certainly not good enough which is what we need to work on. Again, next season we’ll have a much better squad. 

Summer time is obviously the best time to buy and make major changes to the squad. January can be a very difficult market; new signings might also have to be funded by players leaving. 

There is absolutely ZERO point in sacking the manager when we’re currently very stable in the league. I already posted my thoughts on this in the Long Term strategy thread. 

We all want the same thing. I just believe our long term goals are within our grasp and perfectly achievable with the current manager. It would be madness to sack him now. 

How do we know next seasons squad will be much better ?

Chances of holding on to Maguire/Chilwell are slim...Maguire especially..

Man City need a LB...Chilwell perfect for them..

As we know..despite 2/3 good signings since our PL win, we have bought plenty of shit too..

Summer signings are not guaranteed to be better..

3 minutes ago, HKFox said:

If those figures are accurate then that is woeful, let alone for a billion pound a year business. 

However figures do not tell you how important it is for fans to have days out at Wembley. I can remember all the wembley days I have been to since Derby play offs, finishing mid table in the Prem is great for bank balance but hardly memorable. Look at Everton, mid table in Prem for years and have won nothing, cups should be taken extremely seriously. 

I'm with you, I want cups. But we just don't know what the brief is from those above. It's sad that it's got to the point clubs don't bother, but this is a problem at many clubs.

• Like 2