Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel 'Facing the sack' - reports

5 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

Oh dear.....subtitles required. So a lot of people saying we're seventh, and we should be happy to be seventh. Never mind the Cups, it's the league which brings in the money. Seventh as high as LCFC can expect to be - stop moaning. I hope that's a fair summary.

What I'm saying is that once you settle for that, once the players know you've settled for that, then what reason do they have to stay? Are they going to tell their grandchildren of the glorious three seasons on the trot they finished seventh in the EPL? Of the time they scored a hat trick in the frozen wastes of Russia in the third qualifying round (away leg) of the Europa League? And once the players don't want to stay, what are you left with? Watching a team in permanent transition, trying to replace gifted players year on year. And then the one year you fail, you get relegated. Stoke have gone, Southampton will go.

But what are you saying we should do instead?

You are literally just describing every team that doesn't have £250m to spend every summer at the moment

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

Oh dear.....subtitles required. So a lot of people saying we're seventh, and we should be happy to be seventh. Never mind the Cups, it's the league which brings in the money. Seventh as high as LCFC can expect to be - stop moaning. I hope that's a fair summary.

What I'm saying is that once you settle for that, once the players know you've settled for that, then what reason do they have to stay? Are they going to tell their grandchildren of the glorious three seasons on the trot they finished seventh in the EPL? Of the time they scored a hat trick in the frozen wastes of Russia in the third qualifying round (away leg) of the Europa League? And once the players don't want to stay, what are you left with? Watching a team in permanent transition, trying to replace gifted players year on year. And then the one year you fail, you get relegated. Stoke have gone, Southampton will go.

But we are highly unlikely to win trophies, you know it (well maybe not), I know it and the players know it. Do you think it's gone unnoticed that in 135 years won just three pots?

Doesn't matter if you decide to put your all into them, if Liverpool come calling, or Man City, or Man U. We could have won two league cups and an FA Cup in three years, the players will still want to leave most of the time, because we aren't that size of team. We can't offer the money, everyone knows that no matter what our recent success is, it's unlikely to carry on because we don't invest the money to.

It's a moot point, because not matter how we attack competitions it's not going to change the football food chain.

I'm gutted that we lost to Newport Co. and are out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle. It's embarrassing.

I'm not convinced that Puel is the rigth man for the club. However, I don't blame his team selection for the defeat. That team should have been plenty good enough to easily win against any League 2 side. I expect any other manager would have done the same, and I would have, as well. Especially after such a busy schedule over Christmas. You want to rest players who need it, and also give a chance to players who haven't had a look in for a long time. You want players like Nacho and Shinji to shake the rust off and build some confidence. You want your 2nd string to start building relationships with each other and gaining experience. This was an absolutely perfect opportunity to do that.

There are many sticks to beat him with, but I don't think Puel's resting players against Newport fuching County is one.

• Like 2

Just now, Raw Dykes said:

I'm gutted that we lost to Newport Co. and are out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle. It's embarrassing.

I'm not convinced that Puel is the rigth man for the club. However, I don't blame his team selection for the defeat. That team should have been plenty good enough to easily win against any League 2 side. I expect any other manager would have done the same, and I would have, as well. Especially after such a busy schedule over Christmas. You want to rest players who need it, and also give a chance to players who haven't had a look in for a long time. You want players like Nacho and Shinji to shake the rust off and build some confidence. You want your 2nd string to start building relationships with each other and gaining experience. This was an absolutely perfect opportunity to do that.

There are many sticks to beat him with, but I don't think Puel's resting players against Newport fuching County is one.

My only gripe with the selection is James, and to be fair if it hadn't been January Iborra or Silva would have been in there instead. Even with him it was good enough to win, proven by how many sodding chances we created. Another day we'd have banged in 8 goals. You can't legislate for every single playing pretty much missing a sitter or two.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

I agree with the build-up it needs to be slicker but against the lower teams who sit deep the backwards/sideways passing is deployed to try & shift them from their shape, this looks horrible when they don't commit & yes when they do commit we need to be faster to exploit it but when its worked there’s a lot on here that suggest its the players doing their own thing, but far from it, they have just actioned the plan quicker.
Puel still needs time/windows to get those missing links between defence & attack as pointed out there are so many that need to be shipped out prior to getting in new players that fit his style.
Sticking with Vardy it is down to him to adapt, the fact you mentioned us from 2yrs ago as a team that would play to his style suggests there isn't a team out there now that would, not a team above us for sure.
His England goal scoring record is much like his City 1, he's scored 4 of his 7 goals against the top teams Germany, Spain, Holland, Italy the teams that would have come at England, I'm sure if Vardy wasn't so 1 dimensional at the time he would have had a lot more caps & goals.
I don't think there was an underlying dig with his comment, i think he knows he has to change tactically to fit the change of formation & an aging body.

Agree in part, but whilst Vardy is supposed to adapt he’s still the only player who can put the ball in the net... 

Moving ball from back to front has to quicken, but going sideways also has to be varied... switch flanks more often, play more risky passes more often, at the moment I don’t see us doing that, especially with both Mendy and N’Didi in centre mid but he persists. We have fantastic wing backs but don’t switch the play quick enough imo ... it’s improved a lot since Fuchs and Simpson days though 

7 minutes ago, lcfceaves said:

Agree in part, but whilst Vardy is supposed to adapt he’s still the only player who can put the ball in the net... 

Moving ball from back to front has to quicken, but going sideways also has to be varied... switch flanks more often, play more risky passes more often, at the moment I don’t see us doing that, especially with both Mendy and N’Didi in centre mid but he persists. We have fantastic wing backs but don’t switch the play quick enough imo ... it’s improved a lot since Fuchs and Simpson days though 

Every Ndidi pass is risky.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Milo said:

100% Agree - you might have missed the earlier post above, though.

I don't want to get relegated and/or languish anywhere. Was merely responding to a point made that stated the Championship is boring. I don't think it is.  :thumbup:

I apologize. I certainly don't think it would be boring! I have a tendency to prefer steady safety to excitement, however.

1 hour ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Puel has been here for little more than a year!  Nobody is saying be happy with 7th forever, only that for where we are now its pretty good so its crazy to talk of sacking the manager.

And 7th would be an admirable achievement for this club this season

Well how long would you be happy with 7th for? What do you want to happen after that? Do you seriously think a club can develop with the underlying belief that we should be grateful to be where we are and not get above or ahead of ourselves? Are you going to start a series of chants and songs proclaiming the achievement of finishing seventh? "We've finished seventh - you'll never sing that.." - that type of thing...?? Thank goodness for the transfer window - cos most of you lot would have given up on winning the league....- you know "we don't do trophies here...we can't compete.." whine whine whine  

56 minutes ago, Wdywd said:

But what are you saying we should do instead?

You are literally just describing every team that doesn't have £250m to spend every summer at the moment

I'm suggesting that we should make ourselves safe in the Prem and go all out for the Cups where anything can happen in a one-off game. FACT we've held Man City in two League Cup Quarter Finals but lost on penalties! We've trickled out of the FA Cup in the past two seasons with barely a whimper - and in the latter case to lower League opposition with our best striker "resting" at home. The Europa League last season was an open goal but we managed somehow to miss it. Success has a way of building momentum and more success and belief....

56 minutes ago, Babylon said:

But we are highly unlikely to win trophies, you know it (well maybe not), I know it and the players know it. Do you think it's gone unnoticed that in 135 years won just three pots?

Doesn't matter if you decide to put your all into them, if Liverpool come calling, or Man City, or Man U. We could have won two league cups and an FA Cup in three years, the players will still want to leave most of the time, because we aren't that size of team. We can't offer the money, everyone knows that no matter what our recent success is, it's unlikely to carry on because we don't invest the money to.

It's a moot point, because not matter how we attack competitions it's not going to change the football food chain.

That simply isn't true - but they do need a reason to stay.

Sack Puel  and bring in Moyes, then Allerdyce and  then Mark Hughes so he can build a squad good enough for the Championship playoffs.

How quickly we forget the League 1 days and the decade outside the Premier, and the crappy ground that we used to sit in before the KP. We are 7th in the best division in the history of the known universe. Get a grip people. We have never had it so good.

• Like 1

Just now, smudgerfox said:

I'm suggesting that we should make ourselves safe in the Prem and go all out for the Cups where anything can happen in a one-off game. FACT we've held Man City in two League Cup Quarter Finals but lost on penalties! We've trickled out of the FA Cup in the past two seasons with barely a whimper - and in the latter case to lower League opposition with our best striker "resting" at home. The Europa League last season was an open goal but we managed somehow to miss it. Success has a way of building momentum and more success and belief....

Thing is I basically agree with this, although I still want to finish 7th as well. Well, I want to finish higher than 7th but being realistic that has to be the aim. I don't think we should have to give up on the league to succeed in the cups. I want to aim for being successful but I think that's what we are doing.

I was fine with what we did in both cups this year, the team in both games we lost was alright. In fact playing Hamza in that first game against Man City turned out to be a huge benefit cos it's broken him into the first team. I want to be able to make a few changes and still win. And really I don't think we were very far off winning both, we should've beaten Newport obviously and the league cup game came down to some shit penalties. 

The problem with the 'anything can happen in a one-off game' argument is it works both ways, as we saw on Sunday. If you put your whole season on the line where success relies on coming through 5 or 6 of those you're taking a huge chance.

Just now, sishades said:

Sack Puel  and bring in Moyes, then Allerdyce and  then Mark Hughes so he can build a squad good enough for the Championship playoffs.

How quickly we forget the League 1 days and the decade outside the Premier, and the crappy ground that we used to sit in before the KP. We are 7th in the best division in the history of the known universe. Get a grip people. We have never had it so good.

Totally agree Susan:ph34r:

2 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

Well how long would you be happy with 7th for? What do you want to happen after that? Do you seriously think a club can develop with the underlying belief that we should be grateful to be where we are and not get above or ahead of ourselves? Are you going to start a series of chants and songs proclaiming the achievement of finishing seventh? "We've finished seventh - you'll never sing that.." - that type of thing...?? Thank goodness for the transfer window - cos most of you lot would have given up on winning the league....- you know "we don't do trophies here...we can't compete.." whine whine whine  

That simply isn't true - but they do need a reason to stay.

We havent even finished 7th yet.  How you are bored with something that is yet to happen i'll never know lol 

To isolate the cup failings I do agree its frustrating, but in the context of squad issues at the time what we did does make sense...

They want to finish as high up the table as they can, and we need a squad that is capable of winning these earlier rounds using the reserves to a degree, I believe a good cup run needs to be earned by the whole squad, to a degree

What a difficult one this is. 

The facts are:

1. We are in a league position that is very good compared to our general historical situation.

2. We are a bigger spending club now than we have ever been in the past, so is Point 1 valid as a positive anymore?

3. A high number of the players want him gone.

4. Should the club react to player power?.

5. The football makes you want to stay at home, it’s dull at the best of times.

6. I turn the radio off when he is on as he is so dull.

7. He is trying to play the correct way, but is failing miserably in the final third.

This is not a normal situation as we are in a good league position, so it’s really creating divides and I personally am sitting on the fence. Think I will sit on the fence until he has gone as it’s a damn sight more interesting view than having to go and watch the football. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sishades said:

might as well do that, whats the point in stability or stable playing squad when we can entertaining football finish lower in the table too

5 minutes ago, Rob1742 said:

The facts are:

1. We are in a league position that is very good compared to our general historical situation. 

2. We are a bigger spending club now than we have ever been in the past, so is Point 1 valid as a positive anymore? 

3. A high number of the players want him gone. 

4. Should the club react to player power?.

5. The football makes you want to stay at home, it’s dull at the best of times.

6. I turn the radio off when he is on as he is so dull.

7. He is trying to play the correct way, but is failing miserably in the final third.

This is not a normal situation as we are in a good league position, so it’s really creating divides and I personally am sitting on the fence. Think I will sit on the fence until he has gone as it’s a damn sight more interesting view than having to go and watch the football

The last comment tells me everything about your support for the club.. and it aint good. You sound like we are in the relegation zone. I dread to think how you are if that was the case.. ~morbid

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

I find the investment in and introduction of new young players both interesting and a breath of fresh air. Young players will be inconsistent and some were so busy criticising for example, Chilwells occasional foopahs last year, they forgot to see him doing all the right things he did that got him noticed by Southgate. Guadiola and Klopp have also been complimentary but I guess that doesn't fit in with some people's agenda. Pereira, how much has he improved having been shown a bit of faith? Maddison, Choudhury, are they not exciting young prospects? Ndidi, Barnes, Ndidi, Benkovic and Soyuncu, don't these kids interest you? Can people only live for the very moment of the last game, can't they look forward and see potential exciting times ahead? We were going nowhere very fast about a year ago but I  can at least now see a future. Those who go through life expecting misery and disappointed usually get what they wish for. It's just in this case I see beyond the false hope and can put up with a bit of pain. We've suffered a lot worse than this dilemma of languishing way back in 7th in the Premier League.

Who?

Morgan over Benkovic

Evans over Söyüncü

Chilwell debut 2 years previous

Hamza debut before Puel then left out for an age

Ghazzel 26

Aging Vardy our only real forward, no young player supporting or knocking on the door

He's doing nothing out of the ordinary. Players only realistically have playing window of 10 years.

We have 3 regular players of 22, others are hardly kids.

Had the opportunity against Newport, they're the games to introduce youth not play a bunch of players you have openly rejected

Edited by Bob Hazels shorts

3 hours ago, Milo said:

In your opinion it's boring - in my opinion it's not.

Well, the whole reason for the championship's existence is to get out of it and into the prem. that's not an opinion it's a fact. Boring doesn't come into it, it's all about the money and playing the best sides in the Country. For the life of me, I can't see how playing at a lower level with no chance of playing the likes of Man City, Liverpool, Man United, Chelsea etc can be anything but boring. 

7 hours ago, FilbertFrog said:

You need to take a rest from the internet its fried your brains 

the summer spend in the PL this summer was £850m around 6/8 times what it was back then ! 

Yes on shit and the league is now so mumdaune it’s created an enormous gap now between the top 6 and the rest and tbh the teams at the top of the championship are not far behind you only have to look at Wolves and Cardiff by no means getting battered 

we have spent over 200m since winning the league just because big money is splashed out doesn’t make the league the best it’s the most taken for a ride League in the world, Slimani £28m it’s bonkers now 

7 hours ago, Babylon said:

I'm sorry but what a pile of absolute horse shite.

Can you back up your comment with stats please explain how a team can win 8 games in an entire Calender year and sit 7th and the league is the best in the world I think someone works for Sky here! 

I find the investment in and introduction of new young players both interesting and a breath of fresh air. Young players will be inconsistent and some were so busy criticising for example, Chilwells occasional foopahs last year, they forgot to see him doing all the right things he did that got him noticed by Southgate. Guadiola and Klopp have also been complimentary but I guess that doesn't fit in with some people's agenda. Pereira, how much has he improved having been shown a bit of faith? Maddison, Choudhury, are they not exciting young prospects? Ndidi, Barnes, Ndidi, Benkovic and Soyuncu, don't these kids interest you? Can people only live for the very moment of the last game, can't they look forward and see potential exciting times ahead? We were going nowhere very fast about a year ago but I  can at least now see a future. Those who go through life expecting misery and disappointed usually get what they wish for. It's just in this case I see beyond the false hope and can put up with a bit of pain. We've suffered a lot worse than this dilemma of languishing way back in 7th in the Premier League.

3111.jpg.b27ebd44e97ee1f8b1a2b0f07edd320c.jpg

I agree with your post, btw.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mark - Reading said:

Can you back up your comment with stats please explain how a team can win 8 games in an entire Calender year and sit 7th and the league is the best in the world I think someone works for Sky here! 

Well first and foremost, I don't know if you're heard but the table isn't based on a calendar year. Even if it was, we've won 14 games in the calendar year.

Secondly "best league in the world" what are you talking about?

Lastly, our points total falls within the same sort of margin it was done mostly for the last decade.

On 02/01/2019 at 09:54, Babylon said:

7th place after round 21 (not all games played)...

2018-2019 31pts

2017-2018 34pts

2016-2017 33pts

2015-2016 32pts

2014-2015 33pts

2013-2014 37pts  (Man U)

2012-2013 33pts

2011-2012 35pts (Liverpool)

2010-2011 30pts

2009-2010 36pts (Liverpool)

2008-2009 30pts

Now whilst it might be a point or two lower than normal, it's in the ball park. When you're talking about the fact a missed pen against Cardiff cost us having the highest points total for 7th at this stage for 5 years. Especially when you consider the top 5 have way more points than usual at this stage.