Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel 'Facing the sack' - reports

15 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Other than James and Ghezzal, who else should/shouldn't have played yesterday?

Ward - shown hes more than capable in the league cup and needs game time. Right decision.

Simpson - prem winner, past his best but still a decent back up at the moment and Ricardo needed a break. Right decision.

Morgan - our captain and regular 1st teamer before his illness. Not sure soyuncu would have faired any better against matt and again, Harry needed a rest and has had injury concerns.

Evans - experienced international centre back and same as above as regards Soyuncu and Maguire.

Fuchs - another prem winner slightly past his best but good back up and again Chilwell needed a break and like Maguire has had injury concerns.

Albrighton - one of our 1st choice wingers and despite the penalty balls up looked decent

James - strange decision but not the reason we lost the game.

Hamza - has shown class recently in games against Everton, man c and Chelsea and needs game time to help his development. Mendy and Ndidi needed a rest.

Ghezzal - strange choice given his recent form, would have chose Gray but he scored the only goal. 

Okazaki - not many options in attack but probably would have chose maddison after he sat out against Everton.

Iheancho - our only striker other than vardy who needed a rest and has also had injury worries. 

So other than james and possibly Ghezzal and Okazaki, there wasnt alot wrong with the team. We lost because we didn't take our chances not because of the team selection. And please don't come at with "but if vardy played we'd have won" as 1. There is no guarentee we'd have won even with our strongest 11 (yes the chances would have been far higher but not 100%) and 2. There is no way any manager in the prem would have risked Vardy given the state of the pitch, his injury issues and his importance to the rest of our season. Te team selected should have been more than good enough to beat Newport. 

Puel’s PR man.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Md9 said:

James needed a run out against someone other than the under 23s and I can’t see him playing instead of wilf or mendy so this would have been one of the only opportunities he gets. 

He needed a longer run in the u23s and then easing into league games from the bench probably when we are coasting and can afford it, either that or send him on loan to the championship.

He was thrown in off the back of so long out against a team that was going to go above and beyond. Having rings run around you by league 2 players isnt going to do much for the confidence. 

As its been mentioned it also means we were essentially handicapped as he was going to need to come off at some point.

40 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Ward - shown hes more than capable in the league cup and needs game time. Right decision.

Simpson - prem winner, past his best but still a decent back up at the moment and Ricardo needed a break. Right decision.

Morgan - our captain and regular 1st teamer before his illness. Not sure soyuncu would have faired any better against matt and again, Harry needed a rest and has had injury concerns.

Evans - experienced international centre back and same as above as regards Soyuncu and Maguire.

Fuchs - another prem winner slightly past his best but good back up and again Chilwell needed a break and like Maguire has had injury concerns.

Albrighton - one of our 1st choice wingers and despite the penalty balls up looked decent

Hamza - has shown class recently in games against Everton, man c and Chelsea and needs game time to help his development. Mendy and Ndidi needed a rest.

Ghezzal - strange choice given his recent form, would have chose Gray but he scored the only goal. 

Okazaki - not many options in attack but probably would have chose maddison after he sat out against Everton.

Iheancho - our only striker other than vardy who needed a rest and has also had injury worries. 

So other than james and possibly Ghezzal and Okazaki, there wasnt alot wrong with the team. We lost because we didn't take our chances not because of the team selection. And please don't come at with "but if vardy played we'd have won" as 1. There is no guarentee we'd have won even with our strongest 11 (yes the chances would have been far higher but not 100%) and 2. There is no way any manager in the prem would have risked Vardy given the state of the pitch, his injury issues and his importance to the rest of our season. Te team selected should have been more than good enough to beat Newport. 

I agree on the team selection point but in this case does that mean the manager’s tactics aren’t working or he isn’t capable of motivating the players to put in a good performance? This is what worries me

As it took a lot of people to have a coincidental bad game at the same time for us to lose this match

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

We had a great summer window last year, but our best business was nailing down so many of our best players on long term contracts. 

This put us in a much, MUCH stronger position - anyone who wants to buy Maguire, Ndidi, Chilwell, Ricardo, will have to pay a fee likely higher than Mahrez’s £60m+. If they do leave, we can then afford to replace them. We are in the driving seat. 

I just can’t be doing with this persistent negative attitude. 

Not only that, we've seen over the past few seasons we won't sell more than 1 key player in 1 transfer window. We could have sold Maguire as well as Mahrez last summer but stood firm. We lost kante, then drinky then mahrez and i expect we may lose 1 more this summer, possibly Maguire but no way will Top sanction more than one big player to leave unless we get an obscene amount of money offered for them. We sell Maguire and use the money to get a striker and another attacking mid/winger, as we already have cover at the back with Benkovic coming back. I agree with you, all the negativity is boring now. People just need to accept hes staying for the forseeable! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

That's spot on for me also. Together with the fact that should one of our 'first teamers' get injured, it's benficial for their replacement to be match fit. I'm not surprised that James had a run out, he needs to be evaluated. Before injury, Puel preferred him to Iborra who we now know has gone with possibly Silva to follow. A fit again James would be good cover. One minute people are screaming for Choudhurys inclusion,  the next some are moaning about it. The back 4 were a solid choice. Puel is somewhat hamstrung with just Nacho and Okazaki up front, we all know that but it's hardly his fault. Just imagine the meltdown on here if he'd played Vardy who then aggravated his groin injury and was sidelined for 6 weeks! That would be far more of a worry than yesterday. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

I agree on the team selection point but in this case does that mean the manager’s tactics aren’t working or he isn’t capable of motivating the players to put in a good performance? This is what worries me

As it took a lot of people to have a coincidental bad game at the same time for us to lose this match

Motivation is such an unquantifiable idea - what more does Puel need to provide fringe players besides opportunity to make their case for more regular time in a meaningful match? None of them seized that chance, which is on the players and 

which is why at least about half the starting 11 from that game will be plying their trade elsewhere next season. 

Your Puel-out hardon is not willing to consider the players are culpable for the product on the field - we had no breaks (how many posts hit?) and that's how it goes sometimes, but as the post you're quoting states, the lineup was enough to beat Newport 9/10 times, we're just experiencing that 10th game.  

Edited by knitro

5 minutes ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

Some of the best managers have had cup upsets over the years. While Puel isn't completely blameless for yesterday, he cant really be blamed for our players inability to put the ball in the net. They scored 1 really good goal and a pen and we could and should have scored about 8. Taking nothing away from Newport as they played their hearts out but i just dont understand why some people throw all the blame for yesterday on Puel. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, the messenger said:

Pays me money I’ve got an opinion, just so happens i’m not a Puel lover and hate the football he promotes. Yes 7th but it won’t last mid table at best.

That’s fair enough, as they say opinions are like xxxxxxxxx, everybody has one...

Not a dig btw

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Crispin LA said:

I think the best coach for us would be..... 

1. Adi Hutter (Young Boys) they played great attacking football. 

2.Luis Pimenta (Brommapojkarna) only 36 and has a sports psychology degree from Liverpool Uni. 

3. Miguel Cardoso (Rio Ave) 

4. Florian Kohfeldt (Werder Bremen) 

5. Domenico Tedesco (Schelke) 

6. Eric Ten Hag (Ajax) 

7. Pablo Machin (Girona) 

This list is like football hipster crack cocaine.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

To be honest the idiocy of a lot of the Puel Out mob posts is strengthening my resolve to support him. Actually I can see a number of parallels with Big Nige's second term in terms of the job at hand.

Do people who want him gone now understand that means Rudkin dithering for 3 weeks before finding the cheapest and most subservient option out there? That's how every appointments been since The Nigel left.

The overwhelming likelihood is that the next man won't better what Puel is doing in the league and there's a reasonable likelihood it'll be a crap appointment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

It's been the same all year.... well except for when it hasn't.

Yes it's a problem against packed defences, the manger knows that and keeps saying that's exactly what he's trying to fix. That was an issue before he even arrived. Hence the last two getting sacked, you do remember that happening?

Let him get a few more players in, if they are of the same ability and attacking intent as Ricardo and Maddison then things could work out just fine. 

As for Newport, I'm sorry they didn't even defend well. We went through them time and time again and missed more absolute sitters than I can even remember. We managed twice as many shots as Spurs managed against them... and they weren't all tame shots from distance. We're talking a couple of yards out for no end of them. 

When Claudio or even mark robbins talk they are open about their challenges and focus.   What gets me about puel is its as if we've watched different  football matches.  He sometimes says we were unlucky..ie.. he made all the right decisions and if he were to do it all again he would do the same think.  Saying its Bad luck means you have failed to learn and so will not improve.  I would like him more if he was honest about what his priorities are.

I honestly believe his football is dull and that i want a marauding club we can cheer on and turn a game round.... sadly thats not puels bag.  His priority is to avoid the sack by being in the drop zone.  Cups dont matter to him... but they matter to me.   I hope top is looking at his options.. .. .. until he finds one we will continue to grumble between ourselves

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 1