Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel 'Facing the sack' - reports

Maybe the title of this thread needs changing or even closed completely until the next time the hacks share their insider bollooks ramblings claiming Puel facing the sack?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

What about my last sentence?

It's something new but I wouldn't call it something exciting. Genuine danger of becoming the Ipswich Town of the Premier League.

If you're happy to just take a spot in the League every year and pick up our TV money at the end (of which fans see little of) then that's fine. I personally find the idea very boring.

For the record I think we're moving in the right direction, but I think we have the potential to move in the right direction a damn sight faster than we are.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You have to take it all with a pinch of salt though, we had exactly the same under Pearson. Rumours of unrest, players leaking stuff to the press, fans making out it was all Pearson's fault because it suited their point of view. Turns out, Pearson knew best and he made everyone moaning about it look like total fools.

You're going to have loads of players moaning when we have too many in the squad, loads who know unless Puel goes they aren't getting another contract and are on the way out. Who cares if it's Simpson, Benny, Silva, Iborra, King, Okazaki grumbling. It's only a problem if it's Maguire, Chilwell, N'didi, Ricardo, Albrighton etc. If Stowell is moaning because he doesn't get listened to, so what.

Unless these sources are prepared to say exactly where the info comes from, it's best to tread carefully and not presume too much. If it's that bad, then the owners will know and they will act accordingly.

Like I said, one or two... I was just trying to put points down from both sides of the argument even though I am 70/30 wanting him out. Vardy was my main concern, yes he tried to put a spin on it, but saying it doesn't suit him... secretly I am sure he knew what he was doing there.

Edited by lcfceaves

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

It's something new but I wouldn't call it something exciting. Genuine danger of becoming the Ipswich Town of the Premier League.

If you're happy to just take a spot in the League every year and pick up our TV money at the end (of which fans see little of) then that's fine. I personally find the idea very boring.

For the record I think we're moving in the right direction, but I think we have the potential to move in the right direction a damn sight faster than we are.

The speed of transition I suppose can be debated but going by position in the league I would say definitely we're at our ceiling currently.  Maintaining that until the end of the season is our absolute season at this time  imo

I really think next season will be an indicator of where we are going.  I expect improvement

The cups have been a disappointment, no getting around that

I'm not happy to be a mid table team that doesnt seem to want anything more and I dont think anyone is

Nothing the club has done has suggests to me they would be satisfied with that

37 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Total insanity, managers just don't get the time anymore. You are either brilliant without 6 months or people want you out. Hope they go down.

Unbelievable, Won 8 Drawn 11 and lost 7 = sacked. Agreeably they sit at a measly 14th, but still harsh.

And the media say we are trigger happy :yawn:

1 minute ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Unbelievable, Won 8 Drawn 11 and lost 7 = sacked. Agreeably they sit at a measly 14th, but still harsh.

And the media say we are trigger happy :yawn:

They've lost 3 in the last 18.

Hardly the signs of a manager who should be sacked, every inch the signs of someone who perhaps needs a bit longer or a player or two, to convert draws to wins.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I found the idea of playing championship football ever again beyond boring. Staying in the prem is paramount. Mid-table every season will do for most of us.

19 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

How do you think we could be potential move faster, out of interest

54 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I think so yes. Bet their fans are laughing.

They will be as Rowett has shown at every club he favours experience over youth. That team at Derby last year had about 8 players over 30 in their XI. He's seemingly doing the same at Stoke and they just dont like the gig in the Championship.

6 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I don't really see what's wrong being a stable premier league team. It's not something I can remember being for any real period of time. The longest in my life was under MON.

I know people want excitement and with that comes risk of relegation. Would fans really want that?

It is NOT OK to be mid table, alright?

Winning the league, fine. Getting relegated, next best thing. But if you are midtable you are basically Stoke/West Brom

Only good news is being midtable will eventually get you relegated, which is great, and that will probably lead on to winning the league again, which is even better.

This is the model our club should be based on

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

How do you think we could be potential move faster, out of interest

Change of tactics against the teams that come to defend against us. We'd be converting a lot more draws into wins and losses into draws/wins if the shackles were off.

The patient style of play doesn't suit those type of games and its clear to see. When we are defending against these teams there is hardly any pressure on the ball, its stand off, be patient, don't dive in. Granted this has resulted in a better defensive record and the bookings and sending offs seem to have also dried up but I feel its taken a slight edge away from the team. This team is capable of pressuring and maintaining that pressure, forcing mistakes, breaking quickly on the counter but at the minute it is being handicapped by the patient safety first style of play. When we are attacking its the same, its all patient build up and side ways passing. We don't have a player that is capable of consistently 'unlocking' stubborn defenses and it shows, how many times to we get to the edge of an 18 yard box against 2 banks of 4 and all of a sudden we are playing it all the way back to the keeper, giving the opposing team a chance to reset. On top of that as we are not pressuring these teams often enough it allows them to conserve energry and pressure/break against us.

I think we are one or two creative players away from making this work but in the meantime I think Puel has to be more adventurous than he has been, we have a lot of pace and energy up front, let them put the pressure on a bit more and force the issue, I think by doing this we'll start scoring more.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Winning the league, fine. Getting relegated, next best thing. But if you are midtable you are basically Stoke/West Brom

Only good news is being midtable will eventually get you relegated, which is great, and that will probably lead on to winning the league again

Possibly but I’d say stoke and WB were just treading water. Most of our squad is under the age of 25 while stokes/West Brom’s was mostly full of 28-32 year olds. Also, staying in the league is vital to the stadium expansion and training ground if we want to grow and improve as a club. 

Just now, OhYesNdidi said:

Possibly but I’d say stoke and WB were just treading water. Most of our squad is under the age of 25 while stokes/West Brom’s was mostly full of 28-32 year olds. Also, staying in the league is vital to the stadium expansion and training ground if we want to grow and improve as a club. 

Midtable is a disgusting place to be and only inhabited by average teams who deserve to be elsewhere, or nazis. Fact.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

They will be as Rowett has shown at every club he favours experience over youth. That team at Derby last year had about 8 players over 30 in their XI. He's seemingly doing the same at Stoke and they just dont like the gig in the Championship.

I just looked at the team, doesn't look bad in terms of age other than a few defenders 30+. From what I can see it looks like the amount he's spent has done for him. They spent £30m on Afobe, Ince and Clucas... and another £20m on Mcclean, Etebo and Woods. Ouch.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Only good news is being midtable will eventually get you relegated, which is great, and that will probably lead on to winning the league again, which is even better.

This is the model our club should be based on

Our model should be winning the league or getting relegated. I'm not sure that's much of a model to be honest.

Our aim is to grow the whole club off and on the pitch, that could take a huge amount of time and the only way it's going to happen organically is to have a period of stability or amazing success. Now I'm sure we'd all much rather have the second option... but that isn't going to happen.

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, Babylon said:

I just looked at the team, doesn't look bad in terms of age other than a few defenders 30+. From what I can see it looks like the amount he's spent has done for him. They spent £30m on Afobe, Ince and Clucas... and another £20m on Mcclean, Etebo and Woods. Ouch.

That's unbelievable, totally out of control when players like that are going for that sort of money.

28 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

I found the idea of playing championship football ever again beyond boring. Staying in the prem is paramount. Mid-table every season will do for most of us.

I disagree - I had totally made peace with playing in the Championship when Claudio was taking us down. It was far preferable to watching the weird anti-football that we were playing, imo.

One thing the Championship is not is boring.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Our model should be winning the league or getting relegated. I'm not sure that's much of a model to be honest.

Our aim is to grow the whole club off and on the pitch, that could take a huge amount of time and the only way it's going to happen organically is to have a period of stability or amazing success. Now I'm sure we'd all much rather have the second option... but that isn't going to happen.

Thats a model that provides excitement and guaranteed success/failure

It also manages to circumvent reality just enough to correspond with the mentality of our fan base, and thats the most important thing for any successful organisation

You are usually very insightful, Babylon. Cant believe you cant see this. Stability is a myth!

• Haha 2

Stoke have massively underachieved 

they was 13/8 favourites to get promoted.

They have spent 50m and have a high wage budget for the division.

You can understand why the board have panicked, if a team doesn’t look like bouncing back the follow season they are often left to languish in the league.

when you look at his record for the squad at his disposal it’s not great.

People mention sitting comfortably in mid-table and looking to push on is great but with the  points we are on there's no chance of going down from this position. Surely fans would expect us to have a right go at the cups and put a competitive team out in all of these games bar a few changes. To be honest Puel could help himself by doing this and try and get fans on his side who obviously don't like him and by playing weakened teams this is playing into disgruntled fans hands.

What a lot of the seventh place evangelists are missing is that a lot of our players have been persuaded to come or stay because they've been told this is a club moving significantly forward, not one content to finish mid-table, maybe scrape a Europa League place and report for pre-season training in June. In the summer there's likely to be Top Six interest in Chilwell, Maguire, Maddison, possibly Pereira. If there is, they'll each have to weigh up guaranteed first team football, Europa League Thursdays (plus starting in July) - and that's if we do qualify, against playing in the Champions League for one of the big clubs and raising their wages. Very quickly you can turn  into Southampton - each season, at best, turning up a new raft of proven Premier League talent for the big clubs to exploit. And eventually that talent runs dry or the manager cocks up or both, and you get relegated. And you look back at the talent you could have used to build a team and wonder why no-one had the ambition to keep your best and go for it.

15 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

What a lot of the seventh place evangelists are missing is that a lot of our players have been persuaded to come or stay because they've been told this is a club moving significantly forward, not one content to finish mid-table, maybe scrape a Europa League place and report for pre-season training in June. In the summer there's likely to be Top Six interest in Chilwell, Maguire, Maddison, possibly Pereira. If there is, they'll each have to weigh up guaranteed first team football, Europa League Thursdays (plus starting in July) - and that's if we do qualify, against playing in the Champions League for one of the big clubs and raising their wages. Very quickly you can turn  into Southampton - each season, at best, turning up a new raft of proven Premier League talent for the big clubs to exploit. And eventually that talent runs dry or the manager cocks up or both, and you get relegated. And you look back at the talent you could have used to build a team and wonder why no-one had the ambition to keep your best and go for it.

Er, I don't see what the point is here. We should want to come lower than 7th so we don't get in the Europa League? But we don't want to come mid table either?