Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Barnes coming back

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

All the lads on their forum talking about him just warning the bench for us clearly haven't seen Rachid Ghezzal play. 

This. If we currently had Josh Low on loan at Wycombe Wanderers I'd want him recalled to take Ghezzals place in the squad 

• Like 2

I am sure he's going to get to play a decent amount... last season we had Mahrez who was undroppable (apart from those times he made himself unavailable) and Albrighton/Gray fighting it out for the other spot. These days we don't have any wingers who are guaranteed to get in the first XI. He's also a year older and by the looks of things has come on leaps and bounds. Personally I wouldn't start him tomorrow unless he's been training with us on the quiet, but definitely bring him on around 60 mins. I can't go, but I am confident he's going to get a huge ovation. 

2 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I am sure he's going to get to play a decent amount... last season we had Mahrez who was undroppable (apart from those times he made himself unavailable) and Albrighton/Gray fighting it out for the other spot. These days we don't have any wingers who are guaranteed to get in the first XI. He's also a year older and by the looks of things has come on leaps and bounds. Personally I wouldn't start him tomorrow unless he's been training with us on the quiet, but definitely bring him on around 60 mins. I can't go, but I am confident he's going to get a huge ovation. 

He's training with the lads today.

• Like 1

Like many others I am torn on this, but one advantage is that Harvey should get a proper chance to settle in the first team ahead of next season, rather than a handful of pre-season friendlies in the summer.  I'd expect him to come on from the bench against Southampton, but to be a regular in the starting eleven for the rest of the season.

A possible starting eleven for next season:

Vardy

Barnes Maddison Ndukwu

Ndidi Choudhry

Chilwell Maguire Benkovic Ricardo

Kasper

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WilmslowFox said:

Like many others I am torn on this, but one advantage is that Harvey should get a proper chance to settle in the first team ahead of next season, rather than a handful of pre-season friendlies in the summer.  I'd expect him to come on from the bench against Southampton, but to be a regular in the starting eleven for the rest of the season.

A possible starting eleven for next season:

Vardy

Barnes Maddison Ndukwu

Ndidi Choudhry

Chilwell Maguire Benkovic Ricardo

Kasper

For a minute I thought you had Vardy in goal and Barnes in a back three.  Was gonna proper slag you off then realised my error.  X

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dames said:

It happened last season and Puel was in charge so there is a bit of a precedent to go on.

I'm hoping the lad comes back and steps up but there is every chance he's been brought back as cover after Diabate has gone on loan. The good news in that is at least he's ahead of Diabate in the order of things now hopefully.

The two situations are not remotely analogous. 

CP on Harvey Barnes: “He can add to us. I’m happy about his progress. He played very well. I would like to thank West Brom who gave him good opportunities. It is a good moment for him to come home and help his teammates. He trained and will be available tomorrow.”

Says a lot about our other options on both wings, Gray and Ghezzal in particular.

One has stalled, the other one has seemingly never arrived in English football.

Hope Barnes acts as some sort of welcome competition for these two, they need to step up in the league.

1 minute ago, Deeg67 said:

The two situations are not remotely analogous. 

Very similar actually he was performing to a very similar level albiet in a worse team in Barnsley. His statistics for both seasons are similar, arguably you can say he scored more goals this season because he's playing in a better team.

I have extremely high hopes for the lad but if Puel didn't fancy him at the start of the season whats changed? Only thing for me is Diabate going on loan and needing cover.

I hope i'm wrong on all counts in this instance.

Just now, Dames said:

Very similar actually he was performing to a very similar level albiet in a worse team in Barnsley. His statistics for both seasons are similar, arguably you can say he scored more goals this season because he's playing in a better team.

I have extremely high hopes for the lad but if Puel didn't fancy him at the start of the season whats changed? Only thing for me is Diabate going on loan and needing cover.

Don't worry, not much doubt about that.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I just hope Harvey is happy with the decision as he was well on his way to becoming championship player of the year.

I'm sure it was a tough choice to recall or not, so i'm having 100% faith in Puel.

You raise a good point, but given the chance I'm sure Harvey would prefer to play in the premier league. Playing against Liverpool, Man City, Tottenham etc will compensate for championship player of the year. Like you I have faith in Puel on this one, the extra year has made a massive difference to Harvey's progress and I expect him to take it. Exciting times but please give him time it is a big step up. COYF

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deeg67 said:

Don't worry, not much doubt about that.

Believe me I hope i'm wrong.

I think Barnes is good enough and has been good enough for a while now - he should have been in our team since the start of this season at the very least.

29 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Cruel Puel

Home game against Norwich

2nd against 4th

3 points difference

Massive game, massive crowd, guaranteed to start and star.

Sad for him and us.

Better player next season when it counts staying there or coming back now?

Or he can take 17 games of prem football to get ready for next season with the squad?

3 minutes ago, Dames said:

He's shown good consistency and stood out even more at that level. People are allowed to let players progress and amend their opinion along the way. Plus we probably expected to get a top class replacement for Mahrez and not a rushed last minute panic buy in Ghezzal.

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He's shown good consistency and stood out even more at that level. People are allowed to let players progress and amend their opinion along the way. Plus we probably expected to get a top class replacement for Mahrez and not a rushed last minute panic buy in Ghezzal. 

I agree with you and I think i'm playing a bit of devils advocate in this instance.

I think he should be thrown straight in as his confidence is going to be high and he's been in good form this season. Lets hope the lad develops into the top class replacement we've been crying out for.

9 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He had one of the greatest ever Leicester players in front of him last season though.... Plus Mahrez was still here.

p51938.png

I really really like and appreciate Albrighton, but right now I am still flippin bitter about that stupid handball....

The Barnes recall makes total sense. Strengthening the wings must be a priority as Gray blows hot and mostly cold and Ghezzal seems very very standard to put it mildly. So it would have been silly to go shopping, when we have a pretty big talent running around and lightening the Championship up, that we can recall. Feel for WBA, and it could have been great for Barnes to participate in a promotion push, but we actually really need him right now.