Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Claude Puel calls for a Leicester City reality check

8 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Did they ask for 7th pre or post helicopter crash? 

I have a target to hit at work for a bonus but as the year progresses, my director understands that there’s market pressures what change circumstances.

The Cups are worth absolutely **** all in finance. £135k we’d have won beating Newport. However if we get an additional televised games after 10 in the PL, you get a further £1.13 million per game.

To give you an idea to get that money in the FA Cup, you’ve gotta reach the Final. 

Well resting all those players against Newport went well....

• Haha 3

He’s cleverly distorted the situation by implying the fans think we should be 6th - which paints us as unreasonable. 

Unfortunately for Puel, that is not the situation amongst the fan base at all. 

In fact, people are angry at not taking the cups seriously, poor performances at home and constant tinkering. 

Yes other PL clubs rotated for the FA cup, that’s true... 

But how many are sure of staying up without competing at the top end? 

How many used an away tie in the 3rd round to bring back a player who’s been sidelined for 10 months through injury? 

How many made a ‘sympathy substitution’ (King) utterly unsuited to the game? 

Puel’s rant yesterday was just an attempt to distract attention from his failings. 

And anyway, we won’t finish 7th...more like 11-14 or so at this rate. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

Well resting all those players against Newport went well....

Vardy, Ricardo, Maddison, Schmeichel, all were rested against Newport, yet were poor today. 

If they had played then the way they had played today the Newport result we would still have been out of the cup. 

Of the rested players only Ndidi and Chilwell were any good today. Resting Mendy today would have been worthwhile too! 

There is still work to do, and todays poor performance was down to the players not the manager. 

10 minutes ago, foxinsox said:

Vardy, Ricardo, Maddison, Schmeichel, all were rested against Newport, yet were poor today. 

If they had played then the way they had played today the Newport result we would still have been out of the cup. 

Of the rested players only Ndidi and Chilwell were any good today. Resting Mendy today would have been worthwhile too! 

There is still work to do, and todays poor performance was down to the players not the manager. 

The point stands that today's result, in conjunction with last week's, makes it impossible for him to justify his Newport team selection on any grounds other than 'the side was strong enough to win'. Personally I feel that's a bit of a distraction, because that side should have won and our problems are the same regardless of our exact choice of personnel.

The fact that we - like Puel's last side - struggle to break anyone down, is the wider problem. In our case it doesn't seem to matter where the opposition are in the league, or even whether they have 11 men on the field, or are in the top three tiers of football at all - if they sit deep, we'll struggle to cause them too many problems. And I'm not laying the blame squarely on Puel's doorstep for that, because we struggled against sides that sat deep long before he turned up. Progress may have been poor in that area, and his side's build-up play may well be slow, predictable and poorly suited to both us and the EPL in general, but the problem isn't Puel and Puel alone.

But managers have to take responsibility for poor results, even when individual errors occur, otherwise they can't take credit for positive results when individual brilliance occurs. On balance I don't think Puel's job should be at risk right now, but it's daft to absolve the manager of responsibility for his decisions.

Edited by inckley fox
  • Like 2

What worries me Puel calls it a project,  that seems to me his way and excuse to get more time and when it does not work by this time next year and he is still in a job the project word comes into play again. It is not a project it is a delaying tactic. Then the next thing is players move on like Mahrez he says how can we replace him true but it is not a one man team clubs players move on from other clubs you adapt, Leicester always have players like Mahrez who will move on. It is your job to fill the space so the team gel and not use this as an excuse again  Puel will never fulfil this project it is his way to try and fool us to keep his job.If in 3 years and he is still here and the project is a success I will take this all back. In the mean time I will carry on watching his negativity he puts into the team and enjoy the defending tactics he uses.What worries me Puel calls it a project,  that seems to me his way and excuse to get more time and when it does not work by this time next year and he is still in a job the project word comes into play again. It is not a project it is a delaying tactic. Then the next thing is players move on like Mahrez he says how can we replace him true but it is not a one man team clubs players move on from other clubs you adapt, Leicester always have players like Mahrez who will move on. It is your job to fill the space so the team gel and not use this as an excuse again  Puel will never fulfil this project it is his way to try and fool us to keep his job.If in 3 years and he is still here and the project is a success I will take this all back. In the mean time I will carry on watching his negativity he puts into the team and enjoy the defending tactics he uses.What worries me Puel calls it a project,  that seems to me his way and excuse to get more time and when it does not work by this time next year and he is still in a job the project word comes into play again. It is not a project it is a delaying tactic. Then the next thing is players move on like Mahrez he says how can we replace him true but it is not a one man team clubs players move on from other clubs you adapt, Leicester always have players like Mahrez who will move on. It is your job to fill the space so the team gel and not use this as an excuse again  Puel will never fulfil this project it is his way to try and fool us to keep his job.If in 3 years and he is still here and the project is a success I will take this all back. In the mean time I will carry on watching his negativity he puts into the team and enjoy the defending tactics he uses.What worries me Puel calls it a project,  that seems to me his way and excuse to get more time and when it does not work by this time next year and he is still in a job the project word comes into play again. It is not a project it is a delaying tactic. Then the next thing is players move on like Mahrez he says how can we replace him true but it is not a one man team clubs players move on from other clubs you adapt, Leicester always have players like Mahrez who will move on. It is your job to fill the space so the team gel and not use this as an excuse again  Puel will never fulfil this project it is his way to try and fool us to keep his job.If in 3 years and he is still here and the project is a success I will take this all back. In the mean time I will carry on watching his negativity he puts into the team and enjoy the defending tactics he uhat worries me Puel calls it a project,  that seems to me his way and excuse to get more time and when it does not work by this time next year and he is still in a job the project word comes into play again. It is not a project it is a delaying tactic. Then the next thing is players move on like Mahrez he says how can we replace him true but it is not a one man team clubs players move on from other clubs you adapt, Leicester always have players like Mahrez who will move on. It is your job to fill the space so the team gel and not use this as an excuse again  Puel will never fulfil this project it is his way to try and fool us to keep his job.If in 3 years and he is still here and the project is a success I will take this all back. In the mean time I will carry on watching his negativity he puts into the team and enjoy the defending tactics he usWhat worries me Puel calls it a project,  that seems to me his way and excuse to get more time and when it does not work by this time next year and he is still in a job the project word comes into play again. It is not a project it is a delaying tactic. Then the next thing is players move on like Mahrez he says how can we replace him true but it is not a one man team clubs players move on from other clubs you adapt, Leicester always have players like Mahrez who will move on. It is your job to fill the space so the team gel and not use this as an excuse again  Puel will never fulfil this project it is his way to try and fool us to keep his job.If in 3 years and he is still here and the project is a success I will take this all back. In the mean time I will carry on watching his negativity he puts into the team and enjoy the defending tactics he uses.

What worries me Puel calls it a project.docx

35 minutes ago, woodland fox said:

What worries me Puel calls it a project,  that seems to me his way and excuse to get more time and when it does not work by this time next year and he is still in a job the project word comes into play again. It is not a project it is a delaying tactic. Then the next thing is players move on like Mahrez he says how can we replace him true but it is not a one man team clubs players move on from other clubs you adapt, Leicester always have players like Mahrez who will move on. It is your job to fill the space so the team gel and not use this as an excuse again  Puel will never fulfil this project it is his way to try and fool us to keep his job.If in 3 years and he is still here and the project is a success I will take this all back. In the mean time I will carry on watching his negativity he puts into the team and enjoy the defending tactics he uses.What worries me Puel calls it a project,  that seems to me his way and excuse to get more time and when it does not work by this time next year and he is still in a job the project word comes into play again. It is not a project it is a delaying tactic. Then the next thing is players move on like Mahrez he says how can we replace him true but it is not a one man team clubs players move on from other clubs you adapt, Leicester always have players like Mahrez who will move on. It is your job to fill the space so the team gel and not use this as an excuse again  Puel will never fulfil this project it is his way to try and fool us to keep his job.If in 3 years and he is still here and the project is a success I will take this all back. In the mean time I will carry on watching his negativity he puts into the team and enjoy the defending tactics he uses.What worries me Puel calls it a project,  that seems to me his way and excuse to get more time and when it does not work by this time next year and he is still in a job the project word comes into play again. It is not a project it is a delaying tactic. Then the next thing is players move on like Mahrez he says how can we replace him true but it is not a one man team clubs players move on from other clubs you adapt, Leicester always have players like Mahrez who will move on. It is your job to fill the space so the team gel and not use this as an excuse again  Puel will never fulfil this project it is his way to try and fool us to keep his job.If in 3 years and he is still here and the project is a success I will take this all back. In the mean time I will carry on watching his negativity he puts into the team and enjoy the defending tactics he uses.What worries me Puel calls it a project,  that seems to me his way and excuse to get more time and when it does not work by this time next year and he is still in a job the project word comes into play again. It is not a project it is a delaying tactic. Then the next thing is players move on like Mahrez he says how can we replace him true but it is not a one man team clubs players move on from other clubs you adapt, Leicester always have players like Mahrez who will move on. It is your job to fill the space so the team gel and not use this as an excuse again  Puel will never fulfil this project it is his way to try and fool us to keep his job.If in 3 years and he is still here and the project is a success I will take this all back. In the mean time I will carry on watching his negativity he puts into the team and enjoy the defending tactics he uhat worries me Puel calls it a project,  that seems to me his way and excuse to get more time and when it does not work by this time next year and he is still in a job the project word comes into play again. It is not a project it is a delaying tactic. Then the next thing is players move on like Mahrez he says how can we replace him true but it is not a one man team clubs players move on from other clubs you adapt, Leicester always have players like Mahrez who will move on. It is your job to fill the space so the team gel and not use this as an excuse again  Puel will never fulfil this project it is his way to try and fool us to keep his job.If in 3 years and he is still here and the project is a success I will take this all back. In the mean time I will carry on watching his negativity he puts into the team and enjoy the defending tactics he usWhat worries me Puel calls it a project,  that seems to me his way and excuse to get more time and when it does not work by this time next year and he is still in a job the project word comes into play again. It is not a project it is a delaying tactic. Then the next thing is players move on like Mahrez he says how can we replace him true but it is not a one man team clubs players move on from other clubs you adapt, Leicester always have players like Mahrez who will move on. It is your job to fill the space so the team gel and not use this as an excuse again  Puel will never fulfil this project it is his way to try and fool us to keep his job.If in 3 years and he is still here and the project is a success I will take this all back. In the mean time I will carry on watching his negativity he puts into the team and enjoy the defending tactics he uses.

What worries me Puel calls it a project.docx

What else can it be but a project...with Puel or any manager???

11 hours ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Can’t really defend that 

Maybe I was swayed by his talk. I still agree with his vision but ironically I don’t think he’s the man to execute it?

As much as I crave stability the results and displays are alarming.

If top decides to give him the boot I’ll support it.  

Theres no shame in saying the tide has swung, some weeks I’ve been Puel in and some weeks I’ve been Puel out, but that’s literally summed up his reign. 

That's where I stand as well. He talked the talk but I don't think he can make it work here. I truly believe we peaked under Puel in December 2017 and he won't ever produce a run as good as that here again. Find myself repeating myself on this one a lot but I just don't see the big improvements.

We are rubbish more often than we're good.

• Like 3

Genuinely believe he was destined for failure before he started. Large chunks of the fan base never took to him and his demeanour. The place is now flat with neither the players nor fans trying to help the other out. Feels like a downward spiral and nothing he can do can change that. 

Im a believer in momentum and the two cups have completely killed that. I’d make a change now, put a temporary manager in charge perhaps an ex player with good rapport (like Man Utd have done) till the end of the season whilst we conduct a thorough top to bottom review of what our plan is going forwards. 

Another depressing Saturday afternoon yesterday which felt like Groundhog Day. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

What else can it be but a project...with Puel or any manager???

No I am just saying when Pearson, Ranieri were managers they were looking to the next game, but Puel is going on about what his plans are in 3 years even the best managers don't do this.Puel needs to look at the next game not try and secure his future..

The only good thing I can judge Puel on is he is giving young players a chance. Other than that I can count a number of games on one hand that I've actually enjoyed. I've been bored to tears at his tactics, never really look forward to any game, a few have surprised me but on the whole very very disappointing. Performance counts for everything as far as I'm concerned, not league position, I want to be excited when I go to a match, I can take defeat as long as we play well. 

Just a thought but if the club have accepted we're a work in progress developing for the future then could they issue double loyalty points in this period for those that go along to brave it, enabling those same people to benefit when it all clicks, I know they can't reduce their income by slashing ticket prices but £45 to watch what is essentially a training session is becoming ridiculous. At Derby it's free!

49 minutes ago, glen parva fox said:

The only good thing I can judge Puel on is he is giving young players a chance. Other than that I can count a number of games on one hand that I've actually enjoyed. I've been bored to tears at his tactics, never really look forward to any game, a few have surprised me but on the whole very very disappointing. Performance counts for everything as far as I'm concerned, not league position, I want to be excited when I go to a match, I can take defeat as long as we play well. 

Claude Puel isn’t the only manager to try young players... admittedly, they are only a handful that we’ve seen in this country in recent history, we’d rather spunk money on average foreigners, but in Germany, Austria, France etc. that is the norm, it’s their policy almost (except Bayern’s and PSG’s of this world...)

I'm not convinced by this whole "Puel is great at bringing young players through" argument.

For me it's a case of he's had to because either any senior pro available in that position he's shunned to one side or alternatively he hasn't brought a replacement in.  If anything the younger players brought in last season such as Ndidi have regressed.  Maddison is also showing signs of underperformance this season.

Who exactly in France is he responsible for bringing through?  All I read is Hazard this, Hazard that, and no one else.

• Like 1

The young player thing is surely a bit of a red herring. Most managers would have seen it was time to bring in Chilwell and Choudhury could have been introduced earlier. Maddison was an obvious signing. If the emphasis is so much on youth then I don’t see why we’re up to our eyes in first team centre halves when we have really strong players in that position in the under 23s and at Louvren. And we’d have a young striker knocking them in for fun at under 23 level and pressing for a first team place. Relying on young players is a nice-to-have option but you can’t make it a strategy. 

It’s not as if the impact of the youngsters is rising dramatically as they bed in.  It’s too early to judge Hamza, Chilwell has improved defensively but since he’s one of our main attacking options, his final ball really does need to improve. Maddison is obviously a talent but he rarely dominates the opposition. Gray is stuck where he has always been. Puel seems to think it’s enough to play them and give them experience - but we should be seeing these players make a significant contribution now. The fact is they’re not doing. In fact the only players to be consistently Prem standard are Pereira, Schmeichel, Vardy and Maguire, Morgan and Evans.