Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxes04

Pearson sacked

Just shows you that certain managers tend to be a 'one club fit' only! Pearson has been the perfect fit for us in both his spells here but has failed miserably at Derby and in Belgium since his (very) unjust sacking for non related football reasons in summer 2015. Not sure if we'd have won the Prem. had he stayed though (probably not)….

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Guy said:

Just shows you that certain managers tend to be a 'one club fit' only! Pearson has been the perfect fit for us in both his spells here but has failed miserably at Derby and in Belgium since his (very) unjust sacking for non related football reasons in summer 2015. Not sure if we'd have won the Prem. had he stayed though (probably not)….

I'm not party to the details, but Vichai was a legendary chairman and I trusted his judgement on this. And it turned out quite nice.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, trabuch said:

I'm not party to the details, but Vichai was a legendary chairman and I trusted his judgement on this. And it turned out quite nice.

Well that debate will always exist, hence my last part of the post above! - when saying would we have won the Prem had media-unfriendly Pearson stayed and had media-friendly and genius tinkerman Ranieri not been hired when he was at the quintessential time for that one season only? - unlikely but as they say, "we'll never know"!

Not wishing to get into any Pearson spell three versus Puel being kept on indefinitely debate here (with £100+million spent in the summer only to be in 11th spot and with a largely diminishing hope off finishing top six-seven now) but stranger things have happened - but perhaps not that strange as re-hiring him for third time!

Of course it's common knowledge that Pearson owes his successful time here to Shakespeare and Walsh as his crew too as much as anything else, plus Mandaric bank rolling us with high quality loanees in League One ten years ago to ensure an immediate return to the Championship -  then to Pearson and co keeping the momentum going into the next season when we reached the Championship play offs before 'that' failed penalty to eliminate us from the final was struck by cocky Kermogant! SPell two was even more successful under the same regime as before of course - and which undoubtedly lead to our 'one off' fairytale season. I just hope Nige re-finds his life vocation once again re jobs/clubs at wherever that might be as we have loads to thank him for compared to where we were a decade ago!  

• Like 3

I love the bloke but he’s done as a football manager at a good level. Disastrous spell at Derby and even worse at Leuven. He needs Shakespeare and Walsh alongside him and I’m not sure any Championship clubs can afford the three of them nowadays. 

We’re his club, he managed us excellently but it was a serendipitous spell - the players, owners and management were all right for it to work out for him, mostly because of his decisions but everyone has a limit eventually. It’s not mutually exclusive but I’ve got more love for him than Ranieri which seems daft but he changed the landscape of the club but he can’t come back now.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Guy said:

I suspect that if so much as a hair was parted differently on Tom Hoppers bollocks we might not have won the league

6 hours ago, Guy said:

Agree.

Slightly off subject, I think Eddie Howe is another who could be perfectly described as a 'one club fit'. After his poor Burnley spell I think Howe moving will be a big risk for both him and the club he joins.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

Agree.

Slightly off subject, I think Eddie Howe is another who could be perfectly described as a 'one club fit'. After his poor Burnley spell I think Howe moving will be a big risk for both him and the club he joins.

Job security is about as good as he could get. It would probably take a really special offer for Howe to leave Bournemouth. Leaving to go anywhere else will be a big risk. 

Guest bss9401

He needs a low to middling League One club without huge expectations to rebuild his managerial career. Good luck to him but if he reaches too far his managerial career could be over. 

13 hours ago, abdul_fox said:

Dismantled a bloated, expensive and recently relegated outfit in Hull and built a young and hungry side in only a year and provided a huge platform for Hull's eventual promotion under Bruce. Also factor in that he had to drastically reduce the club's wage bill at the same time. He did a brilliant job at Hull tbf.

Yes, all his best work was done when he wasn't at the clubs.....let's keep it that way and let him not be at this club.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bss9401 said:

He needs a low to middling League One club without huge expectations to rebuild his managerial career. Good luck to him but if he reaches too far his managerial career could be over. 

He's a big enough name that it's hard to see him dropping down to that level, yet his stock has fallen too far to warrant anything higher. Puts him in an awkward position.

Reckon he'll take some time away from the game again - at least until the summer - then make a decision. He seems a pretty modest bloke so wouldn't surprise me if he took the opportunity to retire rather than seek out another high-pressure job. Either that or a return to a former club like Carlisle/Shrewsbury/Middlesboro etc.

15 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

Yes, all his best work was done when he wasn't at the clubs.....let's keep it that way and let him not be at this club.

Well he would hardly be sacked at a club one week then be re-hired at another some time after by the same owner - unless something had been in the pipeline for some time for that to happen! I'd be amazed if Pearson ever appeared here again in any sort of managerial/coaching capacity.

18 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

You seem to have forgotten the bit where he spent the majority of the season weaving his tactical magic to get us into the relegation zone in the first place! The jury is still out on how much influence he had in getting us out of it. After failing badly in his next job after us at Derby nobody appeared to be in a desperate rush to employ him. Leuven was a decent opportunity for him with our owners. Don't think he's covered himself in glory there and is a mere shadow of his former self without his two sidekicks. 

He didnt cover himself in glory but no one can doubt what he did for us.Its funny how he was at the helm and it was all his fault when we were in the relegation zone but when he managed us to that amazing run to get out of the relegation it somehow isnt down to him?!!

• Like 3

Look at it this way, he’s finished with King Power, so we can finally put the nail  in the coffin of him ever coming back here. 

In any walk of life, you need to adapt your style as the world changes. Managing a mellenial is different to managing a person born in the 80s / 90s. Mourinho went from a genius to a dinosaur in a short space of time. It can happen to anyone. 

I’ve long suspected that Shakespeare was the person, that the players confided in, turned to when they needed a shoulder. This lead to the bounce when he took over. No tactical noise though.

Walsh identified talent through the scouting network he’d assembled. Knows a good player, not so great at sorting contracts and splashing cash to get them.

On 03/02/2019 at 19:10, Beechey said:

Well, taking them to joint last place on points is a weird way to show how good you are at football management.

On 03/02/2019 at 18:09, Beechey said:

They were joint bottom of the league on points though.

Nothing "joint" about it, mate. Dead last (again) since this weekend's loss against a direct competitor at home. That was the final nail.

On 03/02/2019 at 21:59, fox in notts said:

Unfair. Nigel was great for us. Have some respect. Who knows where we would be without him.

Well, i know were we (Leuven) would be without him :whistle:

• Like 3