Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban fox

The ones that got away

The transfer window silly season is now over again until the summer and it was pretty quiet apart from several outgoings.

The lack of incomings got me to thinking about some of the might have beens of the past. Not just silly newspaper talk but those that were genuine potential signings that didn't come off

Top of the list:  Johan Cruyff.  February 1981 and I was at uni in Aberdeen of all places when I walked into a newsagents shop and heard the radio declaring that he had agreed to sign for Leicester.  I had to ask the shopkeeper if I had heard it right. I was gobsmacked. Unfortunately the deal collapsed at the eleventh hour when a better deal was offered by Spanish side Levante (including a percentage of gate receipts apparently)

John Toshak. 1974 and a £160,000 fee is agreed with Liverpool for the striker only for him to fail his medical. he returns to Liverpool and promptly starts knocking them in for fun, including scoring against us in the FA cup semi final.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, urban fox said:

Apparently so. According to the rumours he was due in England for talks but the volcanic eruption in Iceland had grounded all the flights so it never happened.

Wasn't he in talks with Blackburn? Never heard him linked with us.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention David Beckham.  Word has it that he was keen to return to England and link up with Sven. The new (at that time) owner were willing to stump up the £200k per week wages but the popular belief was that the Mrs didnt fancy swapping sunset boulevard for gallowtree gate

3 minutes ago, urban fox said:

I forgot to mention David Beckham.  Word has it that he was keen to return to England and link up with Sven. The new (at that time) owner were willing to stump up the £200k per week wages but the popular belief was that the Mrs didnt fancy swapping sunset boulevard for gallowtree gate

yes Sven did approach the beckhams about it and HER response was “Sven, can you really see me in Leicester?”

I genuinely can’t think of any in the past few years. As far as I can remember everyone we’ve been genuinely linked with recently has turned out bang average at best. Only one I can think is James McArthur, but he’s not exactly a world beater

41 minutes ago, Lestoh said:

I genuinely can’t think of any in the past few years. As far as I can remember everyone we’ve been genuinely linked with recently has turned out bang average at best. Only one I can think is James McArthur, but he’s not exactly a world beater

I thought he was a twat re that overreaction when Pearson was playfully strangling him on the floor on the sidelines at King Power after his fall - which seemed to cause a media frenzy for reasons entirely unknown!

7 minutes ago, Langston said:

Didn't one of Nige's staff admit recently that we were very near pulling off a deal for Miroslav Klose

Can't remember what season they were referring to though, could have been 13/14 or 14/15.

2011 before he moved to Lazio.

• Sad 1