Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

Guest MattP

Lord Ahmed of Rotherham charged with rape.

Important to state this was from a time where he was a young person himself, but the last thing that town needs at the minute.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-47413418

A member of the House of Lords has been charged with two counts of attempting to rape a girl. Former Labour peer Lord Ahmed of Rotherham, 61, is also charged with indecent assault of a boy under 13. Prosecutors allege the offences took place between 1971 and 1974, when Lord Ahmed would have been aged between 14 and 17. Two other men, Mohammed Farouq, 68, and Mohammed Tariq, 63, both from Rotherham, have also been charged.

A 17 year old girl has been stabbed to death at a park in East London.

She is the first teenage girl to die in a homicide in the capital this year.

knife crime in this country has become an epidemic and it is young people killing each other, the police just seem to have lost the streets of London and other areas.

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 11:11, foxy boxing said:

A 17 year old girl has been stabbed to death at a park in East London.

She is the first teenage girl to die in a homicide in the capital this year.

knife crime in this country has become an epidemic and it is young people killing each other, the police just seem to have lost the streets of London and other areas.

I'm still trying to comprehend this.

A young girl in a park, and some cretin decides they are going to stab her.

How does it come to this?  Who decides to do this?  I just can't understand it, is it mental illness?  I wish someone could explain it as its just made me so ****in angry.

How the family of this poor girl can cope with what's happened I don't know.

Edited by purpleronnie
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

I'm still trying to comprehend this.

A young girl in a park, and some cretin decides they are going to stab her.

How does it come to this?  Who decides to do this?  I just can't understand it, is it mental illness?  I wish someone could explain it as its just made me so ****in angry.

How the family of this poor girl can cope with what's happened I don't know.

Apparently her boyfriend confirmed her death in a short statement to the press, so it could've come about by someone who knew the victim/them both?

It's sadly with, these incidents, gone to the stage where it's like leaves falling from a tree during Autumn fall now - one after another in similar circumstances - with it largely being youngsters being the victims of such terrible acts but also them who appear to do it.

Hence I quite doubt that mental illness is the main reason why this keeps happening regularly but, very obviously, no-one with a sane mindset would be able to even think of commuting such acts - let alone actually doing it..

Wouldn't rule out this incident, and others recently and in the past, in being linked via gangs etc but it must be a massive headache for the local detectives/police to investigate each and single case of these..

Edited by Wymeswold fox

8 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Why do these ***** keep getting interviews ffs

27 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Because people unfortunately lap it up. Anger = clicks.

Lionator gets it spot on. 

This kind of shit riles people up enough to debate with other idiots (me included) on social media, most of whom will be equally myopic about one particular aspect of said story. Most of whom will also click through to the article and a small percentage of that will be daft enough to click on adverts which were targeted directly at these people in the first place based on their own browser history and (if you’re cynical enough) things they they’ve said aloud near their phones. 

Everything is for profit. Everything. 

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Jezbollah now also being hit with eggs in public, the shine appears to be off him.

Presumably these pollsters have opted not to mention the Tiggers as they're not a party yet? Makes it a bit meaningless - though the poll would probably be even worse for Labour if they did mention the Independent Group.

I've long thought that the Tories would win any early election held before the Withdrawal Deal is done. Partly because of Corbyn's unpopularity, but mainly on the "better the devil you know" principle: because voters wouldn't want to risk changing the govt/PM at such a critical moment. They might think the Tories are rubbish, but May gets a certain amount of credit for her patience and stamina. Even if many voters don't rate her or her decisions, they don't fancy gambling on a change just now - particularly not on Corbyn, who's perceived as an especially reckless gamble, rightly or wrongly.

What the hell happens to voting intentions if there's no early election and Brexit proceeds in March or June will presumably depend mainly on how Brexit turns out. If a deal is done and there's not too much short-term disruption (likely scenario IF there's a deal, as little will change for a couple of years apart from us having no say over EU decisions), then I'd expect Tory poll ratings to remain strong or rise....giving them a good chance of winning a majority if they engineer an election.

It's less predictable what happens to voting intentions if there's No Deal and that (or something else) causes chaos. I presume Tory poll ratings would slump, but who would benefit? It could benefit Labour, but alternatively there could be a big shift of votes to the Tiggers as a "fresh new face to clean up politics" or to Farage's new Brexit Party or to Batten's BNP-style UKIP. I don't imagine that any shift to those last 3 would lead to them winning many, if any seats in an election, but which voters shifted could dramatically affect the election result under FPTP: a big surge for the Tiggers could still benefit the Tories as some Labour votes would also switch, but a shift of Tory votes to the Brexit Party or UKIP probably wouldn't be matched by as many Labour switchers.

It's only under such circumstances (e.g. disastrous No Deal Brexit or perceived Brexit "sell-out", pissed-off Tory voters switching to Brexit Party) that I can imagine Corbyn ending up in No. 10. If the Tories are still in Govt and not too unpopular in 6 months time, Corbyn's chances of retaining the leadership will look bleak, I'd say - though he might go voluntarily through manoeuvring to allow a new leader from the Left the chance to become leader.....

Stephen Bush (New Statesman) on why May's tactic of offering public spending bribes to entice Labour MPs in Leave-voting Northern/Midlands seats to support her deal could backfire:

"How low are the chances of Theresa May's agreement passing the House of Commons on 12 March? Well, the DUP's parliamentary leader Nigel Dodds told the Westminster Hour last night that he wants “treaty-level, legally binding” change to the backstop agreement - which is nothing doing, at least not without losing further votes among Conservative MPs by making Brexit softer.

What about the government's attempt to woo Labour MPs in Leave areas with funds for their constituencies? Well, that's not going so well either. The government will announce £1.6 billion of public funding over six years - for context, local authorities have had their budgets cut by £16bn since 2010. As Labour MPs are angrily pointing out, the total pool of funds earmarked for their specific regions is less than the amount cut from the average local council, let alone something that could genuinely transform their local communities. And it has irritated pro-Brexit Conservative MPs in areas with acute rural poverty that these funds won't be made available to them. 

The bigger problem for May is that she is looking for votes in the wrong places in the wrong way. There is no point spending money to get John Mann to back Brexit because he's going to do it anyway for free. The public spectacle of offering money for votes makes it harder, not easier, for Labour MPs who want to avoid another referendum and believe it is in their political interest locally to back a deal. That the money is so small means that it won't receive any sympathetic coverage from policy wonks. That the limited cash is being confined to Labour areas will irritate Conservative MPs. It's a mess all round. 

As I explain in more detail here, Labour MPs in Leave seats' big problem is that they need a justification to Labour members as to why they voted for the Brexit deal, rather than a justification to their constituents overall. A cash injection that falls miles short even of making up for the cuts to local government isn't going to cut the mustard. 

Taken together, it makes it less likely that the the deal will pass on 12 March and may well delay rather than accelerate the movement of Labour MPs towards supporting the deal in Parliament".

May likes to portray herself as having principles (the people have voted and I have listened) but she's whoring herself to get her deal through. How many millions is she giving away (DUP, ferry companies, etc) and now 'regional spending'? Oh the irony. 

If May manages to get this crap deal through with these awful techniques then really we should be disbanding government and axing every sitting mp that voted for it. 

Shocking stuff. It was shit when the original vote happened, it's still equally shit now. 

3 hours ago, Innovindil said:

If May manages to get this crap deal through with these awful techniques then really we should be disbanding government and axing every sitting mp that voted for it. 

Shocking stuff. It was shit when the original vote happened, it's still equally shit now. 

I’m quite surprised that this is even legal. Shocking!

Guest MattP
20 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I'm actually quite relaxed about this having read the article in full, especiallythis part.

A spokesperson for the UK Space Agency (UKSA) said Dr Marshall's pessimism was not shared across industry and pointed to the recent "Size and Health" survey of British space businesses. This found that 73% of organisations expected income to grow over the next three years and 48% of those expected that growth to be more than 10% higher than in the previous three years. "Space is a truly global endeavour and a key part of the government's modern Industrial Strategy, with over £100m committed for new space infrastructure and a further £92m to develop options for a UK global satellite navigation system," the spokesperson told BBC News. "We have an excellent track record of working closely with the sector to drive growth, create jobs and collaborate with partners in Europe and the rest of the world. "This will continue once we leave the EU. We are committed to close international partnerships on space and science programmes, and will remain a leading member of the European Space Agency, which is independent of the EU."

24 minutes ago, MattP said:

I'm actually quite relaxed about this having read the article in full, especiallythis part.

A spokesperson for the UK Space Agency (UKSA) said Dr Marshall's pessimism was not shared across industry and pointed to the recent "Size and Health" survey of British space businesses. This found that 73% of organisations expected income to grow over the next three years and 48% of those expected that growth to be more than 10% higher than in the previous three years. "Space is a truly global endeavour and a key part of the government's modern Industrial Strategy, with over £100m committed for new space infrastructure and a further £92m to develop options for a UK global satellite navigation system," the spokesperson told BBC News. "We have an excellent track record of working closely with the sector to drive growth, create jobs and collaborate with partners in Europe and the rest of the world. "This will continue once we leave the EU. We are committed to close international partnerships on space and science programmes, and will remain a leading member of the European Space Agency, which is independent of the EU."

I wish I had the confidence of that government talking head wrt to future collaboration given the sounds being made from various parts of the space industry in the UK right now, but I guess only time will tell.

Looking forward to seeing a new future of co-operative work either way, just like I'm looking forward to seeing exactly what kind of bleeding edge satnav system can be bought, developed and launched for 92 million quid :thumbup:.

(Yes, I know they said options rather than the whole system itself, but a disturbing amount of people seem to be confusing the former with the latter.)

10 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/mar/04/birmingham-school-stops-lgbt-lessons-after-parent-protests

Disappointing, but not surprising. "our kids are too young to learn about this", yet not too young to be bombarded with religious teachings. 

Sigh. 

Very disappointing. Shouldn't be giving into religious fundies of any type.

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/mar/04/birmingham-school-stops-lgbt-lessons-after-parent-protests

Disappointing, but not surprising. "our kids are too young to learn about this", yet not too young to be bombarded with religious teachings. 

Sigh. 

Yup. The bigots won this time. Shameful. 

Three seperate bombs sent to London Airport, Heathrow Airport and Waterloo Station were all bombs according to anti-terror police.

Staff at Heathrow opened the parcel which burst into flames.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-security-alert-live-updates-as-police-investigate-suspicious-packages-at-waterloo-heathrow-a4083336.html

10 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Three seperate bombs sent to London Airport, Heathrow Airport and Waterloo Station were all bombs according to anti-terror police.

Staff at Heathrow opened the parcel which burst into flames.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-security-alert-live-updates-as-police-investigate-suspicious-packages-at-waterloo-heathrow-a4083336.html

Hmm, I guess they didn’t use Hermes if they arrived at the right place.