Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Summer Targets

6 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

100% agree with your last point there, some reason or another we have this obsession of finishing at the top end of the development leagues, which I get it looks good. However by doing that we are holding our lads back. I would much rather finish bottom every single season yet giving the boys the vital experience they need for the next step up. 

I see your point in Dewsbury-Hall but from what I’ve seen of him, I see a young Ward-Prowse type of player. With regards to Tavares I think 6 months as a regular in the u23’s see how he gets on. If he stands out, send him out on loan for the last 6 months & re-evaluate next summer what the next best step is. 

Its interesting that you mention Josh Knight as I personally think he will be in our first team squad next season. Yes he will most likely spend one more season out on loan but Posh fans have been absolutely raving about him. They love the boy. I seen comments about his crossing ability whilst playing right back & his ability to break down moves when playing CDM. I have a feeling his versatility will give him a good chance of being in & around the first team squad next year. 

The one player who did stand out the most for me though was Calvin Ughelumba, the boy looks so powerful down that left hand side & seems to have an amazing cross on him. Would like to see him be given a chance next pre season. Get him in with the lads next year, learning from Fuchs & Chilly. Then see if he can step up as back up to Chilly the following year.

Yeah Josh Knight has always impressed me, the added difficulty in making it in the PL for an academy player is not always whether they have the ability or not but the sheer amount of established and big money signings in the squad that they need to get past. I was surprised we went out and signed Benkovic AND Soyuncu last summer, it seemed overkill but we were obviously worried about Maguire going on deadline day. The issue now is we have excellent defenders like Soyuncu and Benkovic vying to be 4th or 5th choice and it's hard for them let alone Knight or Sam Hughes trying to get a gig. I just don't see how Knight, however impressed I've been with him gets a game here. We would need an injury crisis. I think he needs a season long loan to the Championship and then re-assess things, one things for sure I would not be losing him without a fight as he will be good enough for this level given time.

Spot on about Ughelumba too, think he's a machine down the left for the U23's, he might find it a bit easier to get a chance with the first team given there's only Chilwell and Fuchs. All it takes is an injury or something and he'd come in to consideration i'd have thought.

15 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I think there is a slight possibility that Rodgers could see the benefit of keeping Silva, and signing Tielemans. With Mendy then being surplus to requirements. Might be unlikely with the potential for us to use Silva to get Tielemans but I'm not completely against keeping both.

Keeper: Kasper and Ward

Right Back: Ricardo and Amartey (unless he wants to leave for a regular place)

Left back: Chilwell and Fuchs

Centre back: Maguire, Evans, Benkovic, Soyuncu, Morgan - possibly one too many (loan move for Soyuncu if Morgan is considered to be part of first team squad)

Central midfield: Hamza, Ndidi, Silva, Tielemans, Maddison - if Silva goes then Mendy might stick around but think we need to upgrade that role, deep lying midfielder who can pass forwards

Wingers: Barnes, Albrighton, Gray - obvious gap in the squad, need to spend good money on a quality winger, preferably someone who mainly plays on the right

Strikers: Vardy - interesting how Rodgers approaches this position because he needs back up but they need to be quality. Assuming we cut losses with Iheanacho and Slimani we need 2 strikers.

Lots of business not required but its an important window to fill crucial spots in the squad if we want to challenge. 2 strikers, right winger and centre midfielder and we are sorted, as long as no-one big leaves.

I think if there’s any chance of us getting Tielemans then Silva will be the major part of the jigsaw. If we turn around to Monaco & say we are keeping Silva but also want Tielemans there just gonna offer Youri to everyone. However if we build a trust with Monaco & say listen you love Adrien, we love Youri we will meet your price but include Adrien. Then everyone’s happy. Chances are Monaco will push for a deal to be done with us as they’ve already got a ready made replacement with a few quid in the bank. 

I agree with your point on Mendy though, I know he’s loved by the lads in the changing room but I just can’t see the need for him. He will be on big enough wages in a role that potentially an academy kid could fill. Like I’ve stated previously I can see us signing McGregor aswell as Youri which for me Mendy then has to move on.

I would imagine our recruitment will look like this.

in: 

potential new right back?

Youri 

McGregor 

Bowen/Forrest

Adams/Maupay

Out:

Simpson

Amartey? 

Mendy

King 

James

Silva

Ghezzal

Okazaki

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah Josh Knight has always impressed me, the added difficulty in making it in the PL for an academy player is not always whether they have the ability or not but the sheer amount of established and big money signings in the squad that they need to get past. I was surprised we went out and signed Benkovic AND Soyuncu last summer, it seemed overkill but we were obviously worried about Maguire going on deadline day. The issue now is we have excellent defenders like Soyuncu and Benkovic vying to be 4th or 5th choice and it's hard for them let alone Knight or Sam Hughes trying to get a gig. I just don't see how Knight, however impressed I've been with him gets a game here. We would need an injury crisis. I think he needs a season long loan to the Championship and then re-assess things, one things for sure I would not be losing him without a fight as he will be good enough for this level given time.

Spot on about Ughelumba too, think he's a machine down the left for the U23's, he might find it a bit easier to get a chance with the first team given there's only Chilwell and Fuchs. All it takes is an injury or something and he'd come in to consideration i'd have thought.

I think with regards to Knight if he wants a future with his then it won’t be at centre back it will be as a defensive right back/cover at CDM. I think management see this aswell hence why at Posh he’s yet to play as a centre back. The one thing that goes in Knight’s favour is BR praised Hamza for that grit that he has which BR stated we lack. Knight has that in abundance. The boy loves a tackle but also has great quality on the ball aswell as good positioning. 

With regards to Sam Hughes I always struggled to see how he would step up in our squad with the depth we had, I personally can’t see a future for him & I think his injury put the nail In the coffin. 

I do hope Ughelumba is given a chance in the summer as I think the boy has a bright future ahead of him.

9 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

I think with regards to Knight if he wants a future with his then it won’t be at centre back it will be as a defensive right back/cover at CDM. I think management see this aswell hence why at Posh he’s yet to play as a centre back. The one thing that goes in Knight’s favour is BR praised Hamza for that grit that he has which BR stated we lack. Knight has that in abundance. The boy loves a tackle but also has great quality on the ball aswell as good positioning. 

With regards to Sam Hughes I always struggled to see how he would step up in our squad with the depth we had, I personally can’t see a future for him & I think his injury put the nail In the coffin. 

I do hope Ughelumba is given a chance in the summer as I think the boy has a bright future ahead of him.

I think Knight needs a full season in the Championship, he's more than capable in other positions but let's face it as a back up right back he's not attacking enough and CDM even Choudhury has found himself not even on the bench for the majority of the season and that lad is mustard. Knight will be a player, just need to make it very difficult for him to be ignored and a loan move for a year and then he comes back and possibly replaces Morgan in the squad.

34 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I think there is a slight possibility that Rodgers could see the benefit of keeping Silva, and signing Tielemans. With Mendy then being surplus to requirements. Might be unlikely with the potential for us to use Silva to get Tielemans but I'm not completely against keeping both.

Keeper: Kasper and Ward

Right Back: Ricardo and Amartey (unless he wants to leave for a regular place)

Left back: Chilwell and Fuchs

Centre back: Maguire, Evans, Benkovic, Soyuncu, Morgan - possibly one too many (loan move for Soyuncu if Morgan is considered to be part of first team squad)

Central midfield: Hamza, Ndidi, Silva, Tielemans, Maddison - if Silva goes then Mendy might stick around but think we need to upgrade that role, deep lying midfielder who can pass forwards

Wingers: Barnes, Albrighton, Gray - obvious gap in the squad, need to spend good money on a quality winger, preferably someone who mainly plays on the right

Strikers: Vardy - interesting how Rodgers approaches this position because he needs back up but they need to be quality. Assuming we cut losses with Iheanacho and Slimani we need 2 strikers.

Lots of business not required but its an important window to fill crucial spots in the squad if we want to challenge. 2 strikers, right winger and centre midfielder and we are sorted, as long as no-one big leaves.

Mendy has made more of an impression than Silva and we probably need 3 defensive midfielders + 2 creative ones right now. Not the other way round.

Silva is not bad on the ball but lacks the fitness and urgency that we need around the middle. He won't be a success for the club even if Tielemans doesn't stay.

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think Knight needs a full season in the Championship, he's more than capable in other positions but let's face it as a back up right back he's not attacking enough and CDM even Choudhury has found himself not even on the bench for the majority of the season and that lad is mustard. Knight will be a player, just need to make it very difficult for him to be ignored and a loan move for a year and then he comes back and possibly replaces Morgan in the squad.

Yeah you are most likely right. One thing that is so promising & nice to see though is the quality of options we now have in our development squad. 

Talking about Knights attacking ability though, one thing I have noticed is the amount of praise he received from Posh fans regarding his crossing ability. Maybe there is potential there to mould him into a Kieran Trippier type of full back? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blue ROI said:

Mendy has made more of an impression than Silva and we probably need 3 defensive midfielders + 2 creative ones right now. Not the other way round.

Silva is not bad on the ball but lacks the fitness and urgency that we need around the middle. He won't be a success for the club even if Tielemans doesn't stay.

I personally think the 3rd holding midfielder should be taken up by one of the academy boys. Hughes, Knight & Tavares all can play in that role. I personally can’t justify paying the wages Mendy is on to be a 3rd choice Cdm which let’s be honest will be needed 4/5 times at max a season on the bench.

21 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Yeah you are most likely right. One thing that is so promising & nice to see though is the quality of options we now have in our development squad. 

Talking about Knights attacking ability though, one thing I have noticed is the amount of praise he received from Posh fans regarding his crossing ability. Maybe there is potential there to mould him into a Kieran Trippier type of full back? 

Would be good if he did

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Get that Ziyech from Ajax - 20/25m  stats are pretty impressive 21 goals and 22 assists in 47 games albeit in the Dutch league.

Tielemans - 40m

Sturidge - Cheap.

That's like Spurs fans expecting us to sell Maddison for 30m.

No way Ajax will consider that price.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

They only paid 9m and his contract expires in 2021 but you may be right they would probably want a bit more

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

He's apparently got a release clause of £25mil. If that's true then we've got to have a go, but I think the chances are he joins a top club.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dan LCFC said:

He's apparently got a release clause of £25mil. If that's true then we've got to have a go, but I think the chances are he joins a top club.

Ah that makes a bit more sense to  @whoareyaaa's valuation. A Kante moment for Ajax.

Would have thought £40 million based on Champions League performance.  

7 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

Ah that makes a bit more sense to  @whoareyaaa's valuation. A Kante moment for Ajax.

Would have thought £40 million based on Champions League performance.  

Will be interested to see what Ajax do. I think De Ligt's likely to go and De Jong's already gone, but they might look at Monaco and be a bit harder with their players leaving.

I really hope they hold onto as many as possible. Really do like Ajax. Genuinely have never been as gutted for another team as last night.

18 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Will be interested to see what Ajax do. I think De Ligt's likely to go and De Jong's already gone, but they might look at Monaco and be a bit harder with their players leaving.

I really hope they hold onto as many as possible. Really do like Ajax. Genuinely have never been as gutted for another team as last night.

They've been quite vocal, think it was Van Der Sar that there will be no more than a couple of them leaving and there will be no big fire sale.  Need to see how it develops I guess.

On 08/04/2019 at 03:30, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Mendez/Lallana/Talisca/Bruno Fernandez/Thorgan Hazard or even Mkhitaryan all different options that I can think of

For me if you get Mooy it’s to replace Mendy.

According to Belgian media, Thorgan Hazard is going to Dortmund.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

Hard to say.

Won't get as favorable a draw next season in the group stage and surely will lose 2 players at least in the summer.

On the other hand with Dutch Football strong again and with a strong brand they look to be in a good place. The first formidable team to emerge from outside the big 4 leagues since Porto in 2004 or to a lesser extent Dynamo Kiev in the late 90s.

Europe could be wide open for a new unfancied team to make a breakthrough. Half of Englands big clubs are not what they once were, Barca and Madrid have reached their peak, Juventus could struggle. Most of the bigger clubs look entirely jaded. A final involving Liverpool and Spurs is a reflection of that in a way. 

Be good if a club like Sevilla, Napoli, Eintracht Frankfurt, or Lyon could step up.

10 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

Be good if a club like Sevilla, Napoli, Eintracht Frankfurt, or Lyon could step up.

It's gone largely under the radar but there could be some debutants in next year's CL. 

Getafe, Atalanta, Eintracht Frankfurt are all hanging onto direct Champions League spaces. 

3 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

Get that Ziyech from Ajax - 20/25m  stats are pretty impressive 21 goals and 22 assists in 47 games albeit in the Dutch league.

Tielemans - 40m

Sturidge - Cheap.

Pretty sure he rejected both us and Spurs last summer.

On 09/05/2019 at 14:06, Ric Flair said:

On Knight, his advantage is his versatility.  Apparently he has played well as a RB and DM for Peterborough, which not only will make him attractive for teams loaning him next season (which he should be, to the Championship), it gives him more chances to get some gametime in the first team too eventually. 

On Ughelumba, if he gets a Championship loan next season and he delivers on his promise, I don't see why he wouldn't directly replace Fuchs as Chilwell's backup (although Chilwell might be off by then, hopefully not). That would be a great position for him to be in for future gametime surely.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

I don’t know how reliable Alan Nixon is but he’s making some bald statements on Twitter right now.... claiming there’s going to be one or two big surprises & that we will be one of the top 3 spenders in the Prem come end of the window. 

Top loans the club 100 million, middle finger up to FFP, we go out and buy Tielemans, McGregor, van de Beek, Mitrovic. I can already see it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1