Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Tielemans

6 hours ago, Tommo220 said:

Absolutely!

the facts of the matter are that the training ground will likely end up on an uber low interest commercial mortgage for the next 35 years costing pittance per year, rather than (as you say) swallowing a massive amount of capital right now.

Actually its a payday type loan that will be paid off in 2 years,  All we have done is brought forward 2 years of TV payments.  There is no long term deferral of costs.  

It doesn't really matter whether it is Tielemans or someone else of the same calibre. The facts are that to really compete or to have any realistic chance of competing with the top 6 clubs sides like us need to recruit 3 or 4 players of that quality just to have a chance. Yes we can sell the likes of Maguire but that means we have one more top quality player to replace him.

we can get lucky on recruitment as we have done in the past but what is our actual success rate in recruitment doing that.ie how may have proved a success aginst those that have not?

The market is crazy.

10 million gets you a bang average player

20-25 million possibly one slightly better, though our track record shows this is far from certain even at those prices.

Top quality players come in around 40-60 million each and considerably more for the very best.

Spending 100--120 million , even if we were possibly considering it and past evidence suggests not, would only get around 3 players of the quality required.

5 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

There's two loans. 

The first loan has fixed payments occurring upon £18m being received from the Mahrez transfer in 2019 and 2020, totalling £36m. 

The second loan has fixed payments occurring upon the granting of TV money in the next two years. 

We don't know the stated amount of money loaned in the second deal but the TV money could account for up to £250million. The training ground is said to cost £100 million. 

There's opportunity there to receive up to £100 million of transfer earmarked money. 

What happened to the costs of running the club such as the 10s millions per year wages?  What do you think the tv money is usually used for? I am curious.

As many have already said and said well - this is the easiest decision on a transfer imaginable. Make the deal, even if you pay slightly over market. That upcharge is worth it as a hedge against failure. We already know who he is and what he can do for us.

• Like 2

The “sustainable” part of our model which I think we are trying to reach is buying young players with promise, developing them, trying to keep them together to develop our team but knowing a highly sought after player can be sold with little damage to our team.  It makes sense from a business point of view.

At the end of the day, Football is a Business whether we like it or not. 

I think Maguire will go this summer. That will allow us to buy Tielemans (and 1 or 2 more players which we need after releasing players and shipping out others who are not as valuable).  I don’t think we will be able to get him without one high-profile sale and although I’d like us to keep Maguire I think it’ll hurt us less than selling Chilwell or not buying Tielemans

Edited by car1os
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Given that the majority of the man's tweets consist of racist and sexist 'banter' or 'jokes' I'd say it's very unlikely he has any industry sources.

And I drew a completely opposing conclusion from his tweet history.... :ph34r:

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

No chance we have a net spend of over 100 million. We not man utd.

100 million for our owners isn't a great deal and can be injected more than one way and I believe by the end of the transfer window that we'd have spent plus that on a net spend for players this summer. I also wouldn't have thought man utd would be overly concerned with transfer figures of 100 mil for 1 player let alone 3-5.

17 minutes ago, car1os said:

The “sustainable” part of our model which I think we are trying to reach is buying young players with promise, developing them, trying to keep them together to develop our team but knowing a highly sought after player can be sold with little damage to our team.  It makes sense from a business point of view.

At the end of the day, Football is a Business whether we like it or not. 

I think Maguire will go this summer. That will allow us to buy Tielemans (and 1 or 2 more players which we need after releasing players and shipping out others who are not as valuable).  I don’t think we will be able to get him without one high-profile sale and although I’d like us to keep Maguire I think it’ll hurt us less than selling Chilwell or not buying Tielemans

We don't need to sell to buy 

Just now, Gerard said:

He's probably right. He was the first to bring us the news of the Hugo Lloris murder last month.

Best smack down ever :appl:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

finally someone posted what ive been thinking  ……...

the key of course is intelligent investment. that's always the problem - for every maguire there are two or three dogs ……… it tends to even out re expense and return.  tielemans is as close to a risk free buy, given his age, that you could find. his arrival should only be dependant on his desire to sign for us. 

west ham spent nearly 100m last summer. everton have invested heavily. teams such as palace and Newcastle aren't that many points behind us having flirted with relegation through the campaign. we must invest to maintain our position in the league and hope we get enough right to push on further. 

I read this with regard to our own recent record, and my back of a fag packet response is.... really?

Mahrez, Kante and Drinkwater netted us around 130 million. Maguire looks like he could make that another 40+ million. There's surely at least another 40 million that Ndidi, Maddison and Ricardo would now command vs. their initial cost to us.

And this just on purely in/out financial terms. Without having sold them, it's ridiculous the 'return' we've had on Vardy, Kasper, Huth and Evans - less than 10 million for the lot. 

Again, it's on the back of the proverbial, but has our expense and return really been 'evened out'?  Or do we massively exaggerate our mistakes?

Edited by turtmcfly

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

The club clearly puts back in what it makes on sales and clearly invests yearly. We have the 8th biggest gross investment since 14/15, so it wouldn't shock me they hadn't discussed it because we always invest when we can. 

I think the idea of £100m+ net spend is a pipe dream. Would be very nice if Top decides now is the time for a large investment, but when he only spoke about sustainability not a month ago yet, then to me that seems highly unlikely and any "top 6 challenge aspirations" are still long term. Top might not be his dad though and might fancy flicking a switch to boost the timescales. 

Sustainability long term is the business model we're aiming for. Top is canny enough, and learned that you don't go into the market displaying or talking about your fat wad otherwise you get rinsed.

We know that we are going to have to 'twist' at some point if we genuinely want Europe (and consistent Europe at that).

It's all a waiting game, guessing whether or not we'll go all in this summer isn't going to be based on one factor, but a number of factors, not all of which will be evident or be made or leaked to the public.

17 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

I read this with regard to our own recent record, and my back of a fag packet response is.... really?

Mahrez, Kante and Drinkwater netted us around 130 million. Maguire looks like he could make that another 40+ million. There's surely at least another 40 million that Ndidi, Maddison and Ricardo would now command vs. their initial cost to us.

And this just on purely in/out financial terms. Without having sold them, it's ridiculous the 'return' we've had on Vardy, Kasper, Huth and Evans - less than 10 million for the lot. 

Again, it's on the back of the proverbial, but has our expense and return really been 'evened out'?  Or do we massively exaggerate our mistakes?

We can all look at 3 players (oh and a potential) and talk all day long...its only 3 players.

The question is this: Do people keep harping on about our business model based on a one hit season wonder years ago? Or do we think about the here and now and the future?

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

What happened to the costs of running the club such as the 10s millions per year wages?  What do you think the tv money is usually used for? I am curious.

The likelyhood is that not all of the loan will be  for the training ground development. 

Equally there’s transfer fees received for other players such as Iborra and someone like Kanté would have been a staged transfer fee. Throw in Drinkwater too. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

People are too much insistence on a war chest of transfer fees. All clubs will look for value. The way fees work as well some positions are worth more than others. It’s hard to compare. For example you’d argue our value in Evans is substantial and someone like West Ham got significant value from Valbuena but probably not Diop. 

Many have mentioned Everton’s spending but you must remember they sold Stones and Lukaku for decent amounts to which it will be structured in a way they still gain some money for numerous clauses. 

There’s plenty of examples across the division of that. 

11 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

We can all look at 3 players (oh and a potential) and talk all day long...its only 3 players.

The question is this: Do people keep harping on about our business model based on a one hit season wonder years ago? Or do we think about the here and now and the future?

You seem to have some form of addiction that we must spend huge sums of money. 

We spent a combined £70 million on Musa, Kelechi and Slimani. 

All about identifying players who are value for money. Pereira the perfect example of a decent fee but a very good return. 

16 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Well that's your question, which in my opinion is confected bobbins. If I want to see 'harping on' I just need to have a gander at your multiple posts insisting that Top will stick 100 million quid into the business. 

Edited by turtmcfly
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

Sustainability long term is the business model we're aiming for. Top is canny enough, and learned that you don't go into the market displaying or talking about your fat wad otherwise you get rinsed.

We know that we are going to have to 'twist' at some point if we genuinely want Europe (and consistent Europe at that).

It's all a waiting game, guessing whether or not we'll go all in this summer isn't going to be based on one factor, but a number of factors, not all of which will be evident or be made or leaked to the public.

Putting in £100m as a one off doesn’t get you far these days. You need to be putting that in year on year to buy your way in, which we can’t do.

• Like 2