Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nickfosse

Lee Congerton

Its possible that we might end up employing this fella because he's Brendan's buddy and he may not actually do much!  if he costs us 500k/year and he isn't allowed to do anything important then maybe just leave it as being the price of Rodgers being happy here.   if Rodgers fails then this guy will be gone anyway.  he may be a decent bloke to have about the place - just dangerous with a cheque book and Top's signature !

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Its possible that we might end up employing this fella because he's Brendan's buddy and he may not actually do much!  if he costs us 500k/year and he isn't allowed to do anything important then maybe just leave it as being the price of Rodgers being happy here.   if Rodgers fails then this guy will be gone anyway.  he may be a decent bloke to have about the place - just dangerous with a cheque book and Top's signature !

That would be ridiculous.

Rodgers is a professional and the club aren't here to pander to him to have his mate around for £10k a week. The club always comes first and Brendan will know that better than most. 

4 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Hope this is true.

All for giving chances to people but there is literally no track record here to suggest that he should even get a seconds thought from us.

We should be paying good money to get a quality head of recruitment in. They will pay for themselves and more.

7 hours ago, Gerard said:

That would be ridiculous.

Rodgers is a professional and the club aren't here to pander to him to have his mate around for £10k a week. The club always comes first and Brendan will know that better than most. 

I agree ........ but this is LCFC and professional football we’re talking about ......the usual rules of common sense don’t apply ......

the fella would do his job but the hierarchy wouldn’t sign off his deals .............  just trying to make myself feel better about it and find a way where he doesn’t trash our transfer policy (which is broadly ‘so so’, when using people with a decent track record!) 

11 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Hope this is true.

All for giving chances to people but there is literally no track record here to suggest that he should even get a seconds thought from us.

We should be paying good money to get a quality head of recruitment in. They will pay for themselves and more.

And the thing about signing a Head of Recruitment is that his CV is basically the be all and end all. 

It doesn't matter how well or badly he interviews when you can see who he has signed and for how much and then with hindsight judge his signings retrospectively. It's a tough interview when your record is unambiguous and there for all to see when all you've signed is crap for good money. 

Edited by Gerard

8 hours ago, Crispin LA said:

Didn't he let Salah go for peanuts to Liverpool, also isn't he DOF and will probably end up at Arsenal cos he worked with Emery 

£35m for Salah was a reasonable fee at the time, it was before the Neymar move iirc

On 06/03/2019 at 11:10, StriderHiryu said:

He credits him for finding Countinho:

“The reason I brought in Lee Congerton was because he’s one of the best at it,” Rodgers said. “This is the guy who found me [Philippe] Coutinho.

“When I worked at Chelsea I remember Lee was away in South America, and he came back and told me about two players who were 14 or 15.

“He said: ‘Wow, there are two players out there we’ve got to try and get’. They were Coutinho and Neymar.

“At that point no one had heard of them.

“Alexandre Pato was another one I remember that he mentioned, so the reason I’ve brought Lee in is because of that.”

Please note, this doesn't make me want him here! Just trying to see why Rodgers might rate him. Bring back Steve Walsh SR please!

I'd love a new coutinho but I'm not convinced. 

Getting Steve Walsh back would be great. 

20 hours ago, AKCJ said:

He's off to Arsenal.

I don't know where you've heard that AKCJ (I thought Monchi was going there), but if true, that's a real let off for City.  I met the guy when he was at Sunderland and I've never know anyone with such a high opinion of himself, or such a thick skin from ANY criticism!

He was shite there and everyone hated him - the Coaching staff as well as the fans!  He lumbered Sunderland with some terrible signings - and sounds like he continued that with Celtic.

Considering the Arsenal Head of Recruitment connection, I think City could find a Macia replacement in Sven Mislintat, who has just left that job at the Gunners.  He did OK in his 17 months at the Emirates, including finding Aubameyang, but his track record at Dortmund was fantastic. He has great scouting connections throughout Europe (and hopefully in the UK now) - and speaks good English! 

Edited by Outfox the Fox

4 minutes ago, Outfox the Fox said:

I don't know where you've heard that AKCJ, but if true, that's a real let off for City.  I met the guy when he was at Sunderland and I've never know anyone with such a high opinion of himself, or such a thick skin from ANY criticism!

He was shite there and everyone hated him - the Coaching staff as well as the fans!  He lumbered Sunderland with some terrible signings - and sounds like he continued that with Celtic.

Considering the Arsenal Head of Recruitment connection, I think City could find a Macia replacement in Sven Mislintat, who has just left that job at the Gunners.  He did OK in his short time at the Emirates, but his track record at Dortmund was fantastic. He has great scouting connections throughout Europe (and hopefully in the UK now) - and speaks good English! 

I think he means monchi 

I think Rudkin still has a fair hold over transfer dealings doesn't he? We seem to have a clear direction we're heading in and he's a big part of it.

I can't imagine Congerton coming in will steer away from that brief and I'd have thought Rudkin's say is the final one.

Just now, Langston said:

I think Rudkin still has a fair hold over transfer dealings doesn't he? We seem to have a clear direction we're heading in and he's a big part of it.

I can't imagine Congerton coming in will steer away from that brief and I'd have thought Rudkin's say is the final one.

Mislintat wouldn't tread on Rudkin's Director of Football toes. At Arsenal he was a straightforward Head of Recruitment, that was his problem. Arsenal want a new Director of Football, with a much wider role than Recruitment. Mislintat couldn't (or didn't want to) do that - and so they moved him on.  Since February, they have been looking for a DoF with a good track record - and Monchi seems to be that man. 

No, I think Mislintat would fit in well to Macia's role.

26 minutes ago, Outfox the Fox said:

I don't know where you've heard that AKCJ (I thought Monchi was going there), but if true, that's a real let off for City.  I met the guy when he was at Sunderland and I've never know anyone with such a high opinion of himself, or such a thick skin from ANY criticism!

Considering the Arsenal Head of Recruitment connection, I think City could find a Macia replacement in Sven Mislintat, who has just left that job at the Gunners.  He did OK in his 17 months at the Emirates, including finding Aubameyang, but his track record at Dortmund was fantastic. He has great scouting connections throughout Europe (and hopefully in the UK now) - and speaks good English! 

How much do you have to pay someone to find an unearthed gem like auba .???

i have heard that there is a pretty good left footed magician at Barca ............ getting on a bit but probably worth a look .......

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Outfox the Fox said:

Mislintat wouldn't tread on Rudkin's Director of Football toes. At Arsenal he was a straightforward Head of Recruitment, that was his problem. Arsenal want a new Director of Football, with a much wider role than Recruitment. Mislintat couldn't (or didn't want to) do that - and so they moved him on.  Since February, they have been looking for a DoF with a good track record - and Monchi seems to be that man. 

No, I think Mislintat would fit in well to Macia's role.

I haven't mentioned Arsenal or Sven Mislintat?

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

How much do you have to pay someone to find an unearthed gem like auba .???

i have heard that there is a pretty good left footed magician at Barca ............ getting on a bit but probably worth a look .......

Unearthed a gem in Aubameyang for £56m. :D

1 hour ago, Langston said:

I haven't mentioned Arsenal or Sven Mislintat?

I quoted you because of what you said about a Head of Recruitment not having a final say on transfers - that would be down to Rudkin.  I agree, so we need a replacement for Macia who would be happy to take that role.  Mislintat would probably take that - it was what he was doing at Arsenal.