Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nickfosse

Lee Congerton

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

This is exactly the area of recruitment we are ****ing awful at. 

Sad because this is the area we need to be the best at. Especially if were going to compete top six. Our best players will be constantly poached and we need to be prepaired for the turnover every 2/3 years.

Its the turnover that kills you. I think that's one of the reasons Rodgers left Celtic when he did.  Knowing that the team hadn't been strengthened like it should.

33 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

This is exactly the area of recruitment we are ****ing awful at. 

Disappointed we didn't get this guy in who has now joined Stuttgart earlier this week. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/arsenal-transfer-news-sven-mislintat-leaving-bayern-munich-wenger-emery-watch-video-latest-boardroom-a8729936.html

4 hours ago, SO1 said:

Losing an owner, new manager, who really knows how many other people at the club will change this summer. I would think that everyone has to be on the same page. Thought I heard that Macia had everything buttoned up for the summer?

Naming targets isn't the same as having someone to bring them in. Walsh listed Slimani as a target when he left, but he didn't think that he was worth what we paid for him. 

• 4 years later...
On 06/03/2019 at 07:57, Ric Flair said:

Why have I a horrible feeling this era under Rodgers is going to be a disaster? Celtic fans will never leave us alone either, it's all set up for pain.

Fair point by Ric 5 years ago, as I was looking back at the Lee Congerton thread and along with many warnings that he will bloat our squad with unsaleable shite from Sunderland fans at the time and unsurprisingly look where we are. 

He did the same with Sv Hamburg as well. Look where both these teams are now.

I attach a great portion of our current demise and blame to this Fraud who has basically left us with a lot of Jack Rodwells and told us we could fly close to the Sun! The club hierarchy believed him.

Therefore it should follow that those that hired him should now do the honourable thing 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Parker Pen said:

Fair point by Ric 5 years ago, as I was looking back at the Lee Congerton thread and along with many warnings that he will bloat our squad with unsaleable shite from Sunderland fans at the time and unsurprisingly look where we are. 

I attach a great portion of our current demise and blame to this Fraud who has basically left us with a lot of Jack Rodwells and told us we could fly close to the Sun! The club hierarchy believed him.

Therefore it should follow that those that hired him should now do the honourable thing 

You have to ask why him when they'd have looked at his record. 

These jobs really aren't that difficult to get right but it's like most jobs - it's about how much guff you can talk and it's a closed shop to anyone who knows what they're actually doing. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Parker Pen said:

I think the problem he came as a package with Rogers and Top wanted Rogers in.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I think the problem he came as a package with Rogers and Top wanted Rogers in.

Exactly. They moved heaven and earth for BR and left it too late to act.

16 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

It went pretty much as feared - but once again I have to stress the responsibility comes from above them. They overlooked his bad track record. They didn't stop them wasting money. They didn't put an end to it when things had clearly gone to pot.

Effective recruitment is so vital particularly to a club like ours who don't have the abundance of resources others do yet we cut a corner on it and thought there would be no consequences.

Find it truly remarkable how Rodgers can have that first 8 months here, win a trophy, get into Europe twice and still probably come out of it a net negative.

Agree the higher ups carry the can, but given how much they wanted BR I can see why they brought him in when BR asked for him.  By the time they got rid,  BR's star was already on the decline and the damage was done.

Edited by JimmyC74

7 minutes ago, JimmyC74 said:

Agree the higher ups carry the can, but given how much they wanted BR I can see why they brought him in when BR asked for him.  By the time they got rid BR star was already on the decline and the damage was done.

I still don't think any sensible club should cave in that much on such an important thing as recruitment but I get how it happened. I think they vastly overestimated Rodgers' ability, although again, I can see why that happened. Some of it I can forgive, but the fact they waited that long to sack him kills any sympathy for me.

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I still don't think any sensible club should cave in that much on such an important thing as recruitment but I get how it happened. I think they vastly overestimated Rodgers' ability, although again, I can see why that happened. Some of it I can forgive, but the fact they waited that long to sack him kills any sympathy for me.

Totally agree. 

The drop off from the likes of Macia to Congerton was massive.

Edited by JimmyC74

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Really wish I hadn't been right on all this 😂😂 although to be fair, it went way better than I thought it would. I thought we'd have gone bust by now.

Or at very least done an actual Sunderland 

On 07/03/2019 at 01:06, chapero82 said:

Then the club have been very naive, they should look at the past problems to see that hardly ever works out very well!

I’m  really worried for us now because this is deeper than a manager problem 

Wow I was right to be worried lol 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Really wish I hadn't been right on all this 😂😂 although to be fair, it went way better than I thought it would. I thought we'd have gone bust by now.

We won the FA cup in that period.

Things aren't great now (can't believe I'm saying that as a Leicester fan when we're 2nd in the table with a game in hand. It's like I've no experience of our usual state (ignoring the previous decade)), but if you'd offered me ten years ago, You can win the FA cup, but you'll have to be relegated and have a transfer embargo, I'd have bit your hand off!

2 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Things aren't great now (can't believe I'm saying that as a Leicester fan when we're 2nd in the table with a game in hand. It's like I've no experience of our usual state (ignoring the previous decade)), but if you'd offered me ten years ago, You can win the FA cup, but you'll have to be relegated and have a transfer embargo, I'd have bit your hand off!

I know, my doomsday prediction of Rodgers and Congerton was far starker in that I predicted disaster from the off. The sad thing is, they inherited an excellent squad and we did some great things with a few regrets that it could have been better. But the devastating combination the longer they were here is all played out and the consequences along with those who were all misty eyed in charge of it means we are in ruins.

It didn't need to be like this, our achievements didn't need to come with a huge crash back down to earth to pay for it like many say they'd take it had they been offered, that's the saddest thing. 

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I know, my doomsday prediction of Rodgers and Congerton was far starker in that I predicted disaster from the off. The sad thing is, they inherited an excellent squad and we did some great things with a few regrets that it could have been better. But the devastating combination the longer they were here is all played out and the consequences along with those who were all misty eyed in charge of it means we are in ruins.

It didn't need to be like this, our achievements didn't need to come with a huge crash back down to earth to pay for it like many say they'd take it had they been offered, that's the saddest thing. 

It just goes to show: you can have the achievements, training ground and playing staff of a European club… but if your DoF is Championship standard, that’s where you end up. 

Congerton and rodgers bought in pkayers that inflated our pay structure and so wasted both trabsfermonies and wages.  This was in pursuit of rodgers sucess.  Yet Rodgers teams were always fragile and we lacked the confidence and determination to see seasoms out... failing to reach the ecl... and so replenish our  funds.  So this wild spending was a gamble that didn't bring sucess.

However the board were there too.  What ever the arguements that can be advanced as to the validity of laws, interpretation and jurisdiction we were sailing close to the wind... leading to the current financial mess.

The board allowed this to happen...1. for rodgers and congerton to gamble and 2. To sail too close to the wind in terms of ffp.

I wonder if the resignation of the fd was connected to this.

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Congerton and rodgers bought in pkayers that inflated our pay structure and so wasted both trabsfermonies and wages.  This was in pursuit of rodgers sucess.  Yet Rodgers teams were always fragile and we lacked the confidence and determination to see Seamus out... failing to reach the ecl... and so replenish out funds.  So this wild spending was a gamble that dudnt bring sucess.

However the board wre there too.  What ever the arguements that can be advanced as to the validity of laws, interpretation and jurisdiction we were sailing ckise to the wind... leading to the current financial mess.

The board allowed this to happen...1. for rodgers and cingerton to gamble and 2. To sail too close to the wind in terms of ffp.

I wonder if the resignation of the fd was connected to this.

Top and Co were too keen to give Rodgers *all* that he wanted and failed to question Congerton’s picks. Maybe they thought with buying abroad, untested PL “talent” (Daka, Soumare) would give them more bang to the buck but we failed miserably. 

Rudders has more fails than hits under his watch and needs to go promoted or not.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I understand this point, but I don’t really agree with it entirely. The other question is, is someone said you’ll win the FA cup, but in nine years face possible extinction, would it get the same response? 

Have we cut our nose off to spite our face? I’ve long said to the old man, one of these days a big club will get into a mess and end up folding…. Well, what if it that’s us? When you look at teams that have over extended their potential reach, when they’re not one of the big six, has ended in disaster…. Stoke, Portsmouth and Bolton are just a few examples. We’ve managed to achieve more than them, we’ve set the club up to financially compete behind the scenes with clubs thrice our size, we’ve ended up coming down, with that same budget…….  

As @Ric Flair and others have demonstrated over the last few weeks, this is just mind boggling, it’s suicidal, it’s potentially insanity….. the next nine games are now essentially must win for the existence of this club in my opinion, we’re one more disaster away from an empty king power, stadium……. That’s not an exaggeration, it’s a potential reality…..

So, if the worst was to happen, I really wouldn’t care about the League and FA cup wins, because they will mean nothing.

Im lost now, I don’t know what to think about the future, because the same people who drove this club into the ground, are expected to see us through what potentially going to be the roughest patch in the clubs history? Top should be accepting that he now can’t run this football club, under his stewardship it’s collapsing from the inside out, and the frightening thing is he seems oblivious to it all.

He needs to be restructuring his team, and bringing in better footballing people.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Or at very least done an actual Sunderland 

Feels like we're on the cusp of doing an actual sunderland, so don't write that off. If we don't go up this season I don't think we'll be far off to be fair.

• Sad 1