Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nickfosse

Lee Congerton

18 minutes ago, SO1 said:

So this is a rumour based on paper talk. Granted its not the Daily Mail and I've been humbled pretty well after last week.

I know very little of Congerton with the exception of Celtic. Compper was a 1mil punt with health problems. The others were the same 1 mil here 2 mil there and occasionally 3-4mil. Projects all and were given to Brendan to see if he could work his magic. I have a feeling the success rate on those type of transfers is pretty low.

I guess i'm on the fence about this. Guessing Rodgers is not going to recommend someone as a favor who has the ability to undermine him with incomptence. Why would he come here? Rodgers needs this to work.

John Percy has good sources when it comes to Leicester so this is worrying. 

I'll be fuming if this comes off as all the warning signs are already there. We've signed players in the past that look awful on the face of it and are generally proved right. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Russell sprout said:

Let’s give the bloke a chance,we aren’t going to get worse only better,

and working on celtics budget he would have been restricted massively in who he could recommend 

what a rousing endorsement. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bablemikey said:

I would imagine Rodgers would want the absolute best he could get in this critical position and if he feels that is Congerton then so be it. 

If the club are to back Rodgers then I would hope that they would back him in this too.

Yep back Brendon in getting a fella in who nearly destroyed Sunderland! 

But heck you and Russell sprout aren't bothered about his past f**k ups and want him here

22 minutes ago, Crispin LA said:

Yep back Brendon in getting a fella in who nearly destroyed Sunderland! 

But heck you and Russell sprout aren't bothered about his past f**k ups and want him here

I just reckon that Rodgers is probably much better qualified than me, you, or anyone else on here to decide. After all, it will absolutely directly affect any chance of success he has as our manager. I doubt he’d take the decision lightly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crispin LA said:

Does anyone know if Rudkin or Top read's these thread's. It may sway their decision in hiring this tw*t. 

Just afraid that we are going to end up with most of staff as picked by Brendon irrespective of their past failures. 

Worked well with Ghezzal. 

5 hours ago, reynard said:

If people feel so strongly against this potential appointment then write/email the club directly to express your concerns.

Nah, I'll just boo players I don't care for when they're subbed on. 

• Haha 2

A few on here have mentioned that he did not have a serious budget at other clubs. That may well be so but Walsh picked up probably the best three players this club has ever had in Kante, Mahrez and Vardy for less than £8m between them.  surely that is the trick to great recruitment: picking out the gems before someone else does (or knowing when to take a risk on an out of contract one Albrighton, Fuchs on frees). Any fool can recruit great players when they have unlimited budgets but it sure as hell hurts when it goes the other way and all the money is wasted on non performers and sh*te.  We have had far too much of that recently but we did improve last summer. Not every signing big money or otherwise will be a roaring success but under Walsh we certainly seemed to get it right more times than not but I don't see that at S'land or celtic from this guy.

If there is a chance we could get Walsh back we should do so.

Can’t help but think there’s been a bit of an overreaction on here! We’re basing a lot of this on Celtic fans reactions, and they’ve hardly covered themselves in glory when it comes to opinion lately.

Yes his time at Sunderland doesn’t appear great on the surface, but anyone who has seen the documentary will see there were some severe deep rooted issues there that no manager or player was able to impact upon. When he signed the likes of Borini and Rodwell people applauded those signings because on paper they should have been a success and at the time were a coup for Sunderland. 

Hes then gone on to Celtic at a time where they’ve decided not to spend money... and by all accounts has plucked out a couple of decent loans in Édouard, Weah, Toljan and our own Benkovic. 

The Pedigree is there for all to see, anyone who can convince Frank Arnessen to take them with him to his new project is clearly going to be someone who is good at player identification. 

We’ll need a new chief scout in the summer given that Macia is leaving/has left/never existed.... might not be the worst idea! 

• Like 1

The importance of having a high quality Chief Scout cannot be overstated when the whole club strategy is to pick up promising but untested youngsters and develop them. I don’t know anything about this guy but it’s vey worrying if supporters at his previous clubs think he’s no good.

This thread gives me a really sick, sinking feeling.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Can’t help but think there’s been a bit of an overreaction on here! We’re basing a lot of this on Celtic fans reactions, and they’ve hardly covered themselves in glory when it comes to opinion lately.

Yes his time at Sunderland doesn’t appear great on the surface, but anyone who has seen the documentary will see there were some severe deep rooted issues there that no manager or player was able to impact upon. When he signed the likes of Borini and Rodwell people applauded those signings because on paper they should have been a success and at the time were a coup for Sunderland. 

Hes then gone on to Celtic at a time where they’ve decided not to spend money... and by all accounts has plucked out a couple of decent loans in Édouard, Weah, Toljan and our own Benkovic. 

The Pedigree is there for all to see, anyone who can convince Frank Arnessen to take them with him to his new project is clearly going to be someone who is good at player identification. 

We’ll need a new chief scout in the summer given that Macia is leaving/has left/never existed.... might not be the worst idea! 

Hugely naive this is, the warning signs are there and not from his time at Celtic. Hamburg was a huge disaster, then Sunderland even worse. 

Put it this way, if he came here and was as bad here as previous then we would have no excuses and only ourselves to blame. There is absolutely no need to take a punt on someone with this poor a record, that's the bottom line. We arent a struggling club, with very little money and a damaged reputation. We have a very ambitious owner, who is one of the best in football and off the field we seem to be operating a bit more savvier after a few years of making some big mistakes. Let's not bury our heads in the sand, if we need a new head of recruitment get someone with a very good track record for where we want to be as a club.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

The problem could be that to get Rodgers, the club had to promise him that he would have free reign to bring in staff as he sees fit.

Then the club have been very naive, they should look at the past problems to see that hardly ever works out very well!

I’m  really worried for us now because this is deeper than a manager problem 

Edited by chapero82

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

The problem could be that to get Rodgers, the club had to promise him that he would have free reign to bring in staff as he sees fit.

Very true in which case we should have thought twice before hiring him. I'm usually in agreement with a manager being able to bring in his own staff I whom he has confidence together with his choice of plsyer, after all, he'll sink or swim by performances on the pitch. Usually we've never really heard too much about the backroom staff. In this case there seems to be a lot of baggage with this scout that more than one set of fans have been alerted to which tends to not bode well.