Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nickfosse

Lee Congerton

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

His more recent record isn't and Everton fans couldn't wait to get rid. He was also the man responsible for the pointing out of Slimani , Musa and Silva who were all disastrous  mistakes.

Still walks all over Congerton’s record.

• Like 1

I personally don’t feel comfortable with some of the comments coming from Brendan at the moment in regards to how much input he will have into the football side of things. In this day and age we all know football is a massive business and millions and millions of £ ride on decisions that are made in regards to recruitment. 

I think the structure of, First Team Manager and Head of Recruitment working under the Football Director is a sensible way of working things.

I agree there needs to be cohesion between the 3 but at the minute it feels a bit like an old boys club and Brendans getting all his pals a job. Despite the chat before Brendan joining of his team of staff working with the current staff, I’ve already heard some have effectively been replaced and will be gone in the summer. 

• Sad 2

There are enough unanswered questions from his time at sland which should ring alarm bells ……. if we do employ him then i'm concerned because i don't believe its healthy for a new manager and head of recruitment to come in  at the same time and, more importantly, also be good pals. i know re steve walsh and pearson but that began a long time ago, when cash was tight and walsh grew into the role whilst he was here.

however, if macia is going and he is much if a muchness with the other options then i guess its where we will go

8 minutes ago, Mr Mister said:

Hope he is not appointed. His recruitment decisions ran Sunderland to the ground.

I mean I agree I don’t want him. But it was a lot more than just recruitment that ran them in to the ground. 

13 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Would far prefer to see the return of Steve Walsh (who is available) than this guy, who has a very questionable record.

3 hours ago, sm1 said:

Exactly,  we need to write a letter to the club. 

Strongly doubt that he'll return.

He wanted to live closer to his family in Merseyside, hence why he took the job offer up at Everton when they came calling; and apparently has reservations now about returning to football at the expense of losing valuable time with his family ties etc, and plus the fact that he's nearly 66.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

45 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

People on here hate Rudkin without any knowledge of what his job actually entails, so I wouldn't take any notice of other fans' opinions of staff. 

Football fans are strange people.

You have a point, but his track record is there to see at Hamburg (relegated), Sunderland (relegated) and Celtic. Fans might jump on the bandwagon as they need a scapegoat but if the facts show a horrendous amount of money wasted and long contracts then there's enough there to suggest we should steer clear.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

The bloke has had chances for a decade and appears to be an unmitigated disaster wherever he goes. 

Why does he suddenly deserve a chance here to prove he's capable after the evidence of his CV? 

Because he will at least have the financial backing to buy ‘takent’,

lets be honest it’s not like others haven’t failed massively,so worst case is he’ll do as bad,

and if Brendon Rodgers who as the manager feels it’s in our best interest then let’s back him rather than question his appointments 

Edited by Russell sprout

1 minute ago, Russell sprout said:

lets be honest it’s not like others have failed massively,so worst case is he’ll do as bad,

and if Brendon Rodgers who as the manager feels it’s in our best interest then let’s back him rather than question his appointments 

We’ve did that before with Peter Taylor and it didn’t end well!

2 minutes ago, Russell sprout said:

lets be honest it’s not like others haven’t failed massively,so worst case is he’ll do as bad,

Yeah, let's just give free reign and then if it goes wrong then worry. Sunderland blew an absolute fortune in an era when transfers fee were a bit more modest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

They are 8 points clear, that's a pretty decent margin still. Yes, they tend to win the league by 15-20 points most seasons but Rangers have thrown quite a lot of weight behind things this year in terms of transfers for Gerrard so to cut the gap in half isn't that surprising. I could understand this if Rangers nearly pipped or did pip them to the title but it's doesn't appear to be happening, likewise the cup.

I don't know how reliable that transfer market site is but according to that, Celtic spent 13.8m on transfers plus 5 free transfers and 5 loans. Rangers have spent 10.4m plus 8 loans. To cut the gap that much on a first season return to the Scottish Premiership with only one transfer window compared with years of Celtic spending whilst Rangers were in the doldrums, tends to suggest to me that Gerrard has been more than a little shrewd in his signings compared to Rodgers or whoever is doing the transfer deals. You also look at Gerrard's signings and can see the logic behind most of them. One season to get that close to them is quite ominous I think and although it has got to be good for Scottish football, to me it tends to suggest that with time, Rodgers stood a good chance of losing Celtic's supremacy.

Just looked at both Rodgers and Congerton's record at Celtic in the transfer market and it's more the distinct lack of signings than their abject failure. There's a general consensus that there was even more dross recommended by Congerton but the Celtic board refused to sanction the deals but looking at what they have bought it's a smattering of unknowns who have helped Celtic win everything domestically but hard to ascertain whether they are any good at a more competitive level (pony in Europe).

Before Congerton turned up Rodgers and his team brought in Sinclair, Hayes, Dembele (class), Eboue (barely played in 3 years) and Dorius de Vries.

More recently there has been Ntcham (done well), Edouard (done well), Benkovic and Weah on loan (both good) but then some less so good in Compper, Hendry, Morgan. Not quite as bad as the disasters at Sunderland and Hamburg.

10 minutes ago, Russell sprout said:

He spent over £100m at Sunderland.

Why on earth should we give a proven failure another chance? 

Which particular transfers has he made that inspire you with confidence about his ability to spot talent and value? 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Still walks all over Congerton’s record.

Yes I agree and we have to credit him hugely with the Vardy's, Marhez's and Kante's of our team to be totally fair about it. I'm just saying that personally, regardless of Congerton or not, I wouldn't want him or NP and Shakespeare back. Time to move on.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Russell sprout said:

If he wants to employ such a complete duffer the club would be mad not to question his appointments! You'd have to question his judgement, motives and sanity.

All jokes aside, I find it incredulous that posters on here aren't happy unless they are constantly looking for negatives. The poor chap has only been here 5 minutes ffs and people are throwing in the 'we're all doomed' comments. Is this for the I told you so bank, just in case? 

Opinions are one thing but some of the conclusions drawn from very little knowledge, feelings and worst of all other fans forums lol

I would love our fans to try patience and see how things unfold, though I suppose 8 days is sufficient time to reach these wild conclusions for Foxes Talk?

10 minutes ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

All jokes aside, I find it incredulous that posters on here aren't happy unless they are constantly looking for negatives. The poor chap has only been here 5 minutes ffs and people are throwing in the 'we're all doomed' comments. Is this for the I told you so bank, just in case? 

Opinions are one thing but some of the conclusions drawn from very little knowledge, feelings and worst of all other fans forums lol

I would love our fans to try patience and see how things unfold, though I suppose 8 days is sufficient time to reach these wild conclusions for Foxes Talk?

No one is berating Rodgers and I for one am quite excited by his appointment.

Congerton's job title is Head of Recruitment. We can have a much better informed opinion of his competence as we can see the signings he has made in his career. It really is ugly reading. I honestly think I could do better myself as a one man band and I'm not saying that in jest, I really mean it. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gerard said:

No one is berating Rodgers and I for one am quite excited by his appointment.

Congerton's job title is Head of Recruitment. We can have a much better informed opinion of his competence as we can see the signings he has made in his career. It really is ugly reading. I honestly think I could do better myself as a one man band and I'm not saying that in jest, I really mean it. 

I have only scanned the thread, however, there are posts questioning Rodgers, comparing to Peter fkn Taylor and old boys club etc etc. Congertons record does look abysmal granted but I truly don't think our senior management are mugs and until this appointment is confirmed I will keep my pitchfork in the shed lol

44 minutes ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

Rodgers has the worst win percentage of any Leicester manager in history - why wouldn't we be concerned?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

I have only scanned the thread, however, there are posts questioning Rodgers, comparing to Peter fkn Taylor and old boys club etc etc. Congertons record does look abysmal granted but I truly don't think our senior management are mugs and until this appointment is confirmed I will keep my pitchfork in the shed lol

So this is a rumour based on paper talk. Granted its not the Daily Mail and I've been humbled pretty well after last week.

I know very little of Congerton with the exception of Celtic. Compper was a 1mil punt with health problems. The others were the same 1 mil here 2 mil there and occasionally 3-4mil. Projects all and were given to Brendan to see if he could work his magic. I have a feeling the success rate on those type of transfers is pretty low.

I guess i'm on the fence about this. Guessing Rodgers is not going to recommend someone as a favor who has the ability to undermine him with incomptence. Why would he come here? Rodgers needs this to work.

11 minutes ago, SO1 said:

So this is a rumour based on paper talk. Granted its not the Daily Mail and I've been humbled pretty well after last week.

I know very little of Congerton with the exception of Celtic. Compper was a 1mil punt with health problems. The others were the same 1 mil here 2 mil there and occasionally 3-4mil. Projects all and were given to Brendan to see if he could work his magic. I have a feeling the success rate on those type of transfers is pretty low.

I guess i'm on the fence about this. Guessing Rodgers is not going to recommend someone as a favor who has the ability to undermine him with incomptence. Why would he come here? Rodgers needs this to work.

Exactly my feelings re Rodgers, he's left a pretty much guaranteed succesful role in the SPL to put his reputation, in a much tougher league, back on the line with us. He appears far too astute to do anything to blemish this opportunity, time will tell.