Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nickfosse

Lee Congerton

9 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Steve Walsh is available and his record puts Congerton’s to shame. Why would we do this?

His more recent record isn't and Everton fans couldn't wait to get rid. He was also the man responsible for the pointing out of Slimani , Musa and Silva who were all disastrous  mistakes.

When the news of Brendan leaving Celtic hadn’t yet been confirmed, I popped onto Celtic Talk to see the reaction. Apart from the general shock and bitterness, the silver lining for them was the hope this guy would also be leaving. 

56 minutes ago, sheffield_fox said:

Doesn't look great does it?

Anyone got any idea what Brendan sees in him?

He credits him for finding Countinho:

“The reason I brought in Lee Congerton was because he’s one of the best at it,” Rodgers said. “This is the guy who found me [Philippe] Coutinho.

“When I worked at Chelsea I remember Lee was away in South America, and he came back and told me about two players who were 14 or 15.

“He said: ‘Wow, there are two players out there we’ve got to try and get’. They were Coutinho and Neymar.

“At that point no one had heard of them.

“Alexandre Pato was another one I remember that he mentioned, so the reason I’ve brought Lee in is because of that.”

Please note, this doesn't make me want him here! Just trying to see why Rodgers might rate him. Bring back Steve Walsh SR please!

• Like 2

How bad can he be?

In the last few years we've splashed the majority of our transfer kitty on Musa, Slimani, Iheanacho, Ghezzal and Adrien Silva.

Granted there are a couple of good ones in there like Ricardo and N'didi (ignoring his current form), but as far as I'm concerned he won't have much to beat to be an improvement.

Edited by Nod.E
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

“The reason I brought in Lee Congerton was because he’s one of the best at it,” Rodgers said. “This is the guy who found me [Philippe] Coutinho.

“When I worked at Chelsea I remember Lee was away in South America, and he came back and told me about two players who were 14 or 15.

“He said: ‘Wow, there are two players out there we’ve got to try and get’. They were Coutinho and Neymar.

“Alexandre Pato was another one I remember that he mentioned, so the reason I’ve brought Lee in is because of that.”

Please note, this doesn't make me want him here! Just trying to see why Rodgers might rate him. Bring back Steve Walsh SR please!

To be fair most of us could have watched Coutinho and Neymar at 14/15 playing with boys of the same age and thought they were outstanding talents. I recall a story of Juventus playing Barcelona in a friendly and their then manager Fabio Capello enquiring about the availability of an unknown 16 year old Lionel Messi during the game.

It's not difficult to spot outstanding talents even to the untrained eye. I would prefer to judge these people buying uncut diamonds. The likes of Kante, Vardy and Mahrez when they're not considered world beaters and picking them out is a talent. If you look at Congerton's Sunderland record it's dreadful and he's bought many a £10M+ flop that are nowhere in the game a few years later.

I don't mind Rodgers bringing in a couple of assistants and also don't mind him recommending Congerton but that should be a board decision and way above his pay grade. Hopefully Rudkin will judge Congerton by his record and not his cronyism with Rodgers. 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

No one at Chelsea had heard of them ......

my pal just called me from China and made other observations and accusations that mark would be pretty upset to see repeated in here ...... all I can say was some of the free transfers that sland brought in under his responsibility should beg the question ..... why ???  There was no obvious gain for the club .......

5 minutes ago, Gerard said:

To be fair most of us could have watched Coutinho and Neymar at 14/15 playing with boys of the same age and thought they were outstanding talents. I recall a story of Juventus playing Barcelona in a friendly and their then manager Fabio Capello enquiring about the availability of an unknown 16 year old Lionel Messi during the game.

It's not difficult to spot outstanding talents even to the untrained eye. I would prefer to judge these people buying uncut diamonds. The likes of Kante, Vardy and Mahrez when they're not considered world beaters and picking them out is a talent. If you look at Congerton's Sunderland record it's dreadful and he's bought many a £10M+ flop that are nowhere in the game a few years later.

I don't mind Rodgers bringing in a couple of assistants and also don't mind him recommending Congerton but that should be a board decision and way above his pay grade. Hopefully Rudkin will judge Congerton by his record and not his cronyism with Rodgers. 

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

No one at Chelsea had heard of them ......

my pal just called me from China and made other observations and accusations that mark would be pretty upset to see repeated in here ...... all I can say was some of the free transfers that sland brought in under his responsibility should beg the question ..... why ???  There was no obvious gain for the club .......

I agree guys! Not an appointment I want to see us make. but just trying to provide some insight into why Rodgers trusts him.

In what other industry does this happen?

Top: Welcome to Leicester Mr.Rodgers, let me introduce you to your head of player recruitment, Mr. Macia, he's really good at his job and has been here a few years now.

Brendan: That's nice but I'd rather have my mate.

Top: Oh right, is he any good?

Brendan: No, he's rubbish, but a good laugh.

Top: OK, no problem.  Give him a bell and get him down here. Eduardo - Sling your hook.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The most worrying is how Rodgers systematically changed all the scouting and recruitment staff that Celtic had previously had in place and by all accounts it's been unsuccessful. They have had their hands tied in terms of finances at Celtic but in many ways that's probably been a good thing for the club. If Rodgers insists on bringing him here to replace Macia and then our existing scouting networks are also dismantled then we really will know that Rodgers has wooed Rudkin and Top and has complete control which in this instance might not be a good thing!

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The most worrying is how Rodgers systematically changed all the scouting and recruitment staff that Celtic had previously had in place and by all accounts it's been unsuccessful. They have had their hands tied in terms of finances at Celtic but in many ways that's probably been a good thing for the club. If Rodgers insists on bringing him here to replace Macia and then our existing scouting networks are also dismantled then we really will know that Rodgers has wooed Rudkin and Top and has complete control which in this instance might not be a good thing!

Ranieri started to dismantle the support staff, I guess the more successful your manager has been elsewhere the more power and influence they'll have to change all aspects of the football related stuff and we all want previously successful managers. It's the price you have to pay.

• Like 1

What seems bizarre is that even thou under Lee Congerton Sunderland went through a financial and footballing mess. There's complete hatred for Lee Congerton in Sunderland and Brendon saw fit to employ him at Celtic, resulting in Celtic fans can't wait to get rid of him. 

Need to ask about Brendon's judgement in hiring his pal Lee Congerton! 

7 minutes ago, Crispin LA said:

What seems bizarre is that even thou under Lee Congerton Sunderland went through a financial and footballing mess. There's complete hatred for Lee Congerton in Sunderland and Brendon saw fit to employ him at Celtic, resulting in Celtic fans can't wait to get rid of him. 

And that centre half that goes everywhere with Lee! I can't wait for him, he sounds GREAT

7 minutes ago, Crispin LA said:

You'd have to question his judgement in the transfer market at Liverpool as well, someone has already posted that mess on here. Rodgers  wasn't exactly sought after when he was given the boot from there and Celtic was the best he could have hoped for where he's won with a big fish in a little pond. Strange how in his first season with very little money, Stephen Gerrard was already breathing down Rodgers neck! IF he's a good coach then that's what he should get on with, in other areas he's clearly deficient. Let's stick to our current transfer policy, no more expensive never travelled 39yr olds! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

You'd have to question his judgement in the transfer market at Liverpool as well, someone has already posted that mess on here. Rodgers  wasn't exactly sought after when he was given the boot from there and Celtic was the best he could have hoped for where he's won with a big fish in a little pond. Strange how in his first season with very little money, Stephen Gerrard was already breathing down Rodgers neck! IF he's a good coach then that's what he should get on with, in other areas he's clearly deficient. Let's stick to our current transfer policy, no more expensive never travelled 39yr olds! 

They are 8 points clear, that's a pretty decent margin still. Yes, they tend to win the league by 15-20 points most seasons but Rangers have thrown quite a lot of weight behind things this year in terms of transfers for Gerrard so to cut the gap in half isn't that surprising. I could understand this if Rangers nearly pipped or did pip them to the title but it's doesn't appear to be happening, likewise the cup.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Russell sprout said:

Let’s give the bloke a chance,we aren’t going to get worse only better,

and working on celtics budget he would have been restricted massively in who he could recommend 

The bloke has had chances for a decade and appears to be an unmitigated disaster wherever he goes. 

Why does he suddenly deserve a chance here to prove he's capable after the evidence of his CV? 

• Like 2

People on here hate Rudkin without any knowledge of what his job actually entails, so I wouldn't take any notice of other fans' opinions of staff. 

Football fans are strange people.

• Like 2