Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mr Weller

Europa League

2 hours ago, TOMMYG said:

It's a bit of a long shot , but couldn't 8th place be enough, if Chelsea or Arsenal win the Europa League , therefore qualifying for next seasons Champions League, but then fail to finish in the top 4. This would leave 5 Champions league places for English Teams next season. Then it would need one of the Manchester clubs to win the FA cup & finish in the top 4. If this happens wouldn't Europa qualification be 6th. 7th & 8th. Bit complicated I know but think it's possible.

Max of 7 teams in Europe from same country. UEFA rules

We were shit and as good as getting relegated next season when Fulham equalised yesterday lol 

we wont catch them this season, and we need a monumental clear out and a staggeringly good transfer window in the summer to even get nearly competitive for 7th next season. We’ve got too many average players masquerading as world beaters at the minute, and that isn’t to say they won’t improve. But we’re no way near good enough for Europe as it stands at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Manini said:

We were shit and as good as getting relegated next season when Fulham equalised yesterday lol 

we wont catch them this season, and we need a monumental clear out and a staggeringly good transfer window in the summer to even get nearly competitive for 7th next season. We’ve got too many average players masquerading as world beaters at the minute, and that isn’t to say they won’t improve. But we’re no way near good enough for Europe as it stands at the moment. 

This, pretty much. I actually despair at how bad our options are from the bench and how thread-bear our squad is considering the amount of money we've spent over the last few years. Everyone would love a Europa run and I think it's inevitable that we'll get there in the next five years. We desperately need a much better, deeper squad, though, to manage both competitions and remain competitive across all cups.

Quite depressing to think about what we've squandered transfer wise since 2016, our greatest recruitment opportunity ever.

Our season ends brutally so i dont think it will happen. Of course would be nice and if by sone miracle it happens then bonus. But im more excited about a new season  that has good memories. This season has been tough and i think next season will be kinder to us. 

I might be wrong. But if Wolves or Watford continue in the cup and win it, doesn’t 7th stop from being a Europa place? Thought 7th was only a Europa spot if someone who is already in Europe wins the cup? 

1 minute ago, AjcW said:

I might be wrong. But if Wolves or Watford continue in the cup and win it, doesn’t 7th stop from being a Europa place? Thought 7th was only a Europa spot if someone who is already in Europe wins the cup? 

Yep that’s right, a top four team has to win the FA cup.

Just now, KFS said:

Yep that’s right, a top four team has to win the FA cup.

Annoying really, you kinda want wolves or Watford to continue being distracted by it so we can catch them, but also don’t want them to win lol 

10 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Our season ends brutally so i dont think it will happen. Of course would be nice and if by sone miracle it happens then bonus. But im more excited about a new season  that has good memories. This season has been tough and i think next season will be kinder to us. 

With a bit of luck we could put another 12 points on the board before the tough games start, but you never know with us, could win them all or lose them all. I’d be happy with 7th and no Europe though as I think we’ll be in a much better position to play in Europe next year

Edited by yorkie1999

Just did a predictor. 

Had Wolves lose 3 times and draw once. Had us draw away at West Ham, lose at Man City and get a point at home to Arsenal.

Still fell 4 points short. Its gonna be a big ask. 

Edited by Aleksz

9 minutes ago, leicesterseddon said:

IMO the way to qualify for the Europa League is directly into the group stage by winning a domestic cup.  

Still possible (just) that we could finish 7th this year...but I also suspect that a non-top 4 team could win the FA Cup this year too.  

Well, let's hope that Man City can also mount a decent comeback, then... (It's one of those days, innit?)

4 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Knowing our luck we’ll finish 7th but then Newport will go and win the ****ing Cup blocking us from Europe. 

If newport won the cup that would be massive and would have no problem not going to europe.

It's unlikely that we will get into Europe this season, a shame, but given what's happened to Burnley's form this year after qualifying last season without the player resources and not spending any pound notes,  I'd rather wait a year and give it a good go in both league and Europe. But my biggest wish is to see us win the FA cup before I die, and I'm running out of time rapidly.

• Like 1