Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mr Weller

Europa League

Probably a case of too little, too late. But that's not saying we can't push the likes of Watford and Wolves all the way. Who knows what could happen.

For some added perspective, if Puel was still here, I would just be happy to avoid a relegation scrap which we were getting pulled into. Amazing how things change.

Edited by Bezzanator89
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lcfcell said:

I think we’d all love it if we got 7th but I think from a footballing point of few it’s better we finish 7th next season when we’re better prepared 

Don’t forget there’s internationals next summer, half our starting line up wouldn’t be around for the early qualifying round

• Like 2

Is this team/squad ready for 60/70 games next year? Do the owners have the capacity/will to put both quality and depth into the squad that soon? Is it possible?

I think Mr. Flair's statement about 16/20 points from 8 says it all. But stuff happens.  I think Rodgers needs to keep building the team. The club needs to keep strengthening recruiting/ youth/ scouting/ training.

We have a nice young team. The little piggies will come and feed. We have to be prepared to use this to our advantage.

If we make next season's EuropaLeague from where we are now, it would mean we have had a fantastic end to the season, so while it is highly unlikely, I would be delighted if we qualified for Europe again. It would be a tremendous achievement.

I think our last three games is the issue, We could easily be level with them if not ahead in the next 5 games.... but after that i'd expect them to claw the points back whilst we drop them.

Be nice to give it a good go though!

3 hours ago, foxes21 said:

7th is still possible.

However if we do get into Europe then we need to improve the squad. 

It’s a myth our squad is great, it’s full of average players.

I wouldn’t want us to get into europe and be forced to play an average side and get knocked out in the group stages. You basically need a first and second team.

Our second XI looks like this:

Ward

Amartey, Morgan, Soyuncu, Fuchs

Mendy, Choudhury

Ghezzal, Okazaki, Albrighton

Iheanacho

That team is extremely bang average apart from 3 or 4 players at best. 

Fuchs definately  wont be here 

• Haha 1

We're too far off. It doesn't sound a lot to make up but it's then getting there and keeping up the form so that no-one else catches us.

Obviously I'd hope we did qualify although appreciate our squad probably isn't well enough equipped for it to be taken seriously and that's my worry, that we'd get in and just bomb in it for this reason.

I dont think we have the depth to compete in europe and the pl next season. Even with a summer transfer window. We would probably need two summer transfer windows to build a squad capable of doing both so i wouldnt be fussed about finishing 7th this year. If we did, fantastic. We could tred the waters in it and who knows. But its not the end of the world if we dont.

7 hours ago, foxes21 said:

7th is still possible.

However if we do get into Europe then we need to improve the squad. 

It’s a myth our squad is great, it’s full of average players.

I wouldn’t want us to get into europe and be forced to play an average side and get knocked out in the group stages. You basically need a first and second team.

Our second XI looks like this:

Ward

Amartey, Morgan, Soyuncu, Fuchs

Mendy, Choudhury

Ghezzal, Okazaki, Albrighton

Iheanacho

That team is extremely bang average apart from 3 or 4 players at best. 

That second XI isn’t average. It’s championship. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, sylofox said:

A man c ban could work in our favour to lol lol

It may not be as hard as we think it could go down to 8th. How's it work if they win both domestic cups and the league but get a ban? 

How does 8th get into Europe?

Please show working in your answer for full marks.

6 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

How does 8th get into Europe?

Please show working in your answer for full marks.

You don't need a slide rule it says in my post but here goes. 

If the cups are won by top six teams it goes to 7th place. So if man c finish top six and get a European ban surely it will go to 8th.

1 minute ago, sylofox said:

You don't need a slide rule it says in my post but here goes. 

If the cups are won by top six teams it goes to 7th place. So if man c finish top six and get a European ban surely it will go to 8th.

Top of the class! Just need to be clear on who to cheer for /boo in non-foxes matches. Not really much chance of a Man C ban imo. Money talks.

2 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

Top of the class! Just need to be clear on who to cheer for /boo in non-foxes matches. Not really much chance of a Man C ban imo. Money talks.

As they have already ignored a huge fine the ban is the only option. Fifa and uefa won't risk a scandal by not banning them. 

It's a bit of a long shot , but couldn't 8th place be enough, if Chelsea or Arsenal win the Europa League , therefore qualifying for next seasons Champions League, but then fail to finish in the top 4. This would leave 5 Champions league places for English Teams next season. Then it would need one of the Manchester clubs to win the FA cup & finish in the top 4. If this happens wouldn't Europa qualification be 6th. 7th & 8th. Bit complicated I know but think it's possible.

7 minutes ago, TOMMYG said:

It's a bit of a long shot , but couldn't 8th place be enough, if Chelsea or Arsenal win the Europa League , therefore qualifying for next seasons Champions League, but then fail to finish in the top 4. This would leave 5 Champions league places for English Teams next season. Then it would need one of the Manchester clubs to win the FA cup & finish in the top 4. If this happens wouldn't Europa qualification be 6th. 7th & 8th. Bit complicated I know but think it's possible.

Nope - max seven clubs allowed in European competition from each country 

I suspect if Man City are banned then England will simply lose the champions league place to which they were entitled .....I doubt uefa would allow the team finishing fifth to be subbed in