Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Harry Maguire

Idiotic decision making from him today. Just take the 1-0 goal and let the team turn it around.

For me, he has been our worst defender this season, and that includes 2 reds and some absolutely horrendous Morgan mistakes. Maguire is superb bringing the ball out, but he needs to work on the fundamentals. His positioning is poor, and his tackling average.

I hope he turns it around because he is a very likable person, but honestly the suspension might do him some good. Let's try Soynucu for some games, or at least bring him off the bench. On current form and with his Celtic experience, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Benkovic in the first team next season.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Idiotic decision making from him today. Just take the 1-0 goal and let the team turn it around.

For me, he has been our worst defender this season, and that includes 2 reds and some absolutely horrendous Morgan mistakes. Maguire is superb bringing the ball out, but he needs to work on the fundamentals. His positioning is poor, and his tackling average.

I hope he turns it around because he is a very likable person, but honestly the suspension might do him some good. Let's try Soynucu for some games, or at least bring him off the bench. On current form and with his Celtic experience, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Benkovic in the first team next season.

Agree with all that but personally, I think he flatters to deceive when coming out with the ball imo as I see him as cumbersome which tends to slow us down. He usually takes three or four paces, stops, takes three or four more, stops, by which time Vardy and others are marked and nullified. It will be good to see who comes in and how they do. Would like Soyuncu to be given an opportunity but trust Rodgers, who sees him every day to make the right decision.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

He never intended to take him down, it was a accidental trip as he tried to chase him.

He had to go but I not convinced he meant it.

I feel the same and a yelllow card instead of red.Ive seen heaps that are worse.

no surprise he has sent the most players of this year.I think thats his 9th.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, womp said:

I feel the same and a yelllow card instead of red.Ive seen heaps that are worse.

no surprise he has sent the most players of this year.I think thats his 9th.

I don’t think it was intentional either but It can’t be a yellow card in that situation, if he’s given the foul then he must give a red card 

• Like 2

A lot of people have been excited about the high press that Rodgers brings, but that also brings a high defensive line which can cause us problems with our slow CBs such as it has today. 

I think Harry knew what he was doing.  He took one for the team and it worked out.  He is still a very good player.

Let's focus on the positives - Tielemans, Barnes, Wilf, Maddison....

16 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Yep - England centre back desired by Man City and Man Utd and prob the other top six clubs isn’t good enough for us ...... 

Didn't say he's not good enough for us, but I am saying that his current form is poor, which it is.

He is suspended now anyway, but I feel like being dropped for a game or two is not the worst thing that could happen.

3 minutes ago, Mee-9 said:

He's had a dodgy month or so but at the end of the day, he's class.

Just a dip in form. 

I do hope it's just a dip in form. As I say I like the player a lot, but he's made too many mistakes this season for my liking.

Maguire is one who could do with the end of the season. He's had a summer and season fulled with very high highs and very low lows. His form has dropped off since he's returned from injury but he's a defender with plenty of room/time to improve. If a £45-50mil offer came in I would probably be happy to take that but, unless the sale is something the club NEED to bring in other targets, I'd keep him and would be happy if he was still here next season.

I’ve seen it a bunch of times and I still can’t see much contact. Especially not enough to go down. More of a dive than a foul. It especially irked me because we’ve seen time and time again more blatant fouls being given only a yellow (Kompany vs Vardy for starters). 

If he hadn't of made the challenge we may of lost the game as In previous games when we went behind early. As it was we won so probably the right choice to sacrifice himself for the team. If we would of lost people would of been saying why didn't he make the challenge. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mee-9 said:

He's had a dodgy month or so but at the end of the day, he's class.

Just a dip in form. 

On what basis is he 'class'. He's slow and, for a defender, reads the game poorly. Evans and Morgan are proper defenders. Harry can occasionally bring the ball out, but first and foremost we need someone who can defend. He would be ok at the likes of Man City or Man Utd because he would probably only have to deal with a couple of attacks in a game.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

I don’t think it was intentional either but It can’t be a yellow card in that situation, if he’s given the foul then he must give a red card 

although I understand what your saying then shouldn't most handballs or fouls in the box be red cards too?

Just now, 49er said:

On what basis is he 'class'. He's slow and, for a defender, reads the game poorly. Evans and Morgan are proper defenders. Harry can occasionally bring the ball out, but first and foremost we need someone who can defend. He would be ok at the likes of Man City or Man Utd because he would probably only have to deal with a couple of attacks in a game.

He's slow.   - like John terry was ?

reads the game poorly.    In your opinion 

Harry can occasionally bring the ball out,    No, he can always bring the ball out, unlike some of our other central defenders 

He would be ok at the likes of Man City or Man Utd because he would probably only have to deal with a couple of attacks in a game..  isn’t that the position we’re striving to get to ??.

when he rocks up at yanited next season and looks like a snip at 45m, you’ll all be moaning as to why we sold him ......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He hasn't been great recently, but we should all remember that most of our players were losing form towards the end of Puel. Some have picked up quickly, but we haven't had great stability at CB this season.

So let's not stick the boot in too hard. He will be very useful when VAR comes in.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, womp said:

although I understand what your saying then shouldn't most handballs or fouls in the box be red cards too?

No because accidental fouls in the box by a last defender denying a goal scoring opportunity fall under the triple jeopardy rules and result in a yellow card