Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Harry Maguire

3 minutes ago, womp said:

although I understand what your saying then shouldn't most handballs or fouls in the box be red cards too?

If the hand ball stops a goal scoring opportunity then it is 

if the foul is not an attempt to play the ball and prevents a goal scoring opportunity then it is 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Obviously it's not good that he was caught out of position, but is it not the smart thing to do to bring the player down, take the red, keep it 0-0 and take your chances with 10 men, rather than go 1-0 down?

4 minutes into the game? No way. If it was in the 70th then perhaps but  that early into the game, we should just take the conceded goal and move on. We have one of the best records in the division at getting points from losing positions after all. I think he tried to make it look like he tripped Gudmundsson accidentally but knew what he was doing, and it was as clear a penalty as you will see all season.

This was very similar to Maddison's dive against Brighton earlier in the season where a stupid decision put the team in jeopardy but once again, the team bailed the player out. Luckily we have a very good team in this regard!

Anyway as @LinekersApples says, it's all worked out so let's move on with things. But for me, just how Morgan was dropped after his horror show against Wolves, it's Maguire's time to be dropped for a game or two. Even when Maguire is back, I'd personally start Evans and Morgan over him for one match or give Soyuncu a run out. Maguire on his day is a great player, but he's been complacent of recent and he needs to work on that.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Fox992 said:

If he hadn't of made the challenge we may of lost the game as In previous games when we went behind early. As it was we won so probably the right choice to sacrifice himself for the team. If we would of lost people would of been saying why didn't he make the challenge. 

True, if Burnley has scored first they might have sat back and kept us at arms length all afternoon.

I'm sure that every single other Premiership team would love to Harry on their books and he was a snip at £17m.

Typical of FT that in the afterglow of a famous victory we have a thread to slag off one of our most important players.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Heymister2015 said:

Maguire is our weakest link!

If he was he wouldn't be playing. We haven't seen enough of Caglar or benkovic to even think about benching or selling him. We aren't remotely linked with a central defender either. He is going no-where, unless he tries to force a move and we all know where the club stand with that.

Stop this nonsense. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

4 minutes into the game? No way. If it was in the 70th then perhaps but  that early into the game, we should just take the conceded goal and move on. We have one of the best records in the division at getting points from losing positions after all. I think he tried to make it look like he tripped Gudmundsson accidentally but knew what he was doing, and it was as clear a penalty as you will see all season.

This was very similar to Maddison's dive against Brighton earlier in the season where a stupid decision put the team in jeopardy but once again, the team bailed the player out. Luckily we have a very good team in this regard!

Anyway as @LinekersApples says, it's all worked out so let's move on with things. But for me, just how Morgan was dropped after his horror show against Wolves, it's Maguire's time to be dropped for a game or two. Even when Maguire is back, I'd personally start Evans and Morgan over him for one match or give Soyuncu a run out. Maguire on his day is a great player, but he's been complacent of recent and he needs to work on that.

Now you want to move on?  You started the bloomin thread!   :facepalm:

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

I didn’t start the thread, I added the comment to another older thread, which the mods then turned into a new thread. I didn’t start this thread even though it looks that way!

OK.  Yes it does look that way.

In that case I got it wrong.  Apologies.

Just now, murphy said:

OK.  Yes it does look that way.

In that case I got it wrong.  Apologies.

No worries!

For what it’s worth on his day I love Maguire and made a gif of his amazing Beckenbauer -esque run against Brighton. That side of his game is fantastic. I just try to be fair in both praise and criticism of all of our players and feel that today wasn’t an isolated mistake. 

I’ll be singing the Maguire song along with everyone else when he’s back but I want to see him return to the form that got him into the England team. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Some were calling him thick in the match thread. Obviously it's not good that he was caught out of position, but is it not the smart thing to do to bring the player down, take the red, keep it 0-0 and take your chances with 10 men, rather than go 1-0 down?

Not in the 4th minute it isn’t! 

He's not having a good season BUT I do think people need to realise if he was excellent week in, week out, he wouldn't be here.

He's an above average, top half defender – us and him are a good fit. We'd struggle to keep hold of anyone better, and if he left to go to a club in European ocmpetition I think his limitations would be exposed (and magnified) a lot more.

It doesn't always have to be one extreme or the other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jammie82uk said:

I don’t think it was intentional either but It can’t be a yellow card in that situation, if he’s given the foul then he must give a red card 

Neither do I, it's just an accidental 'clip'. Has there been any rule change since this, er, rule change... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36047575

'However, players committing accidental fouls that deny a goalscoring chance will now be cautioned instead. 

But deliberate fouls will still incur a red card.

Those include holding, pulling or pushing, not playing the ball, serious foul play, violent conduct or deliberate handball in order to deny a goalscoring opportunity'

Edited by turtmcfly

He is just such a frustrating player. He can look really good at times but has always has a couple of mental lapses each game and doesn’t seem to be getting any better in the department. Sadly they have been leading to us conceding recently, probably just bad luck there. Since day one I have never been able to work out if he is actually any good or not.

38 minutes ago, Langston said:

He's not having a good season BUT I do think people need to realise if he was excellent week in, week out, he wouldn't be here.

He's an above average, top half defender – us and him are a good fit. We'd struggle to keep hold of anyone better, and if he left to go to a club in European ocmpetition I think his limitations would be exposed (and magnified) a lot more.

It doesn't always have to be one extreme or the other.

and he is a national treasure and i’m still yet to be convinced that he hasn’t been either injured or unfit for basically the whole season, post world cup/involved in every international game.