Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Harry Maguire

1 hour ago, turtmcfly said:

Neither do I, it's just an accidental 'clip'. Has there been any rule change since this, er, rule change... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36047575

'However, players committing accidental fouls that deny a goalscoring chance will now be cautioned instead. 

But deliberate fouls will still incur a red card.

Those include holding, pulling or pushing, not playing the ball, serious foul play, violent conduct or deliberate handball in order to deny a goalscoring opportunity'

That rule only applies in the 18 yard box 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/32461/11671431/harry-maguire-is-englands-weak-link-says-matej-vydra

Matej Vydra says the Czech Republic have identified Harry Maguire as a weak link in England's team and have also been told to kick their opponents at Wembley.

The Burnley striker claims England's defence is not as strong as their attack and that Maguire is the player they will be focusing on in the European Qualifiers opener on Friday night.

The Leicester defender was sent off early on in the match against Burnley on Saturday for a tackle on Berg Gudmundsson and although the Foxes won 2-1, Vydra believes it was a sign of weakness in Maguire's game.

The Leicester defender was sent off early on in the match against Burnley on Saturday for a tackle on Berg Gudmundsson and although the Foxes won 2-1, Vydra believes it was a sign of weakness in Maguire's game.

"Kane is top, Rashford as well, Sterling is in a great form. The attack is very strong. Defence, I don't say it's not strong as well, but it's not as strong as the attack," he said.

"For example, Maguire. We talked about him at Burnley before we played against Leicester. In some moments it seems he doesn't know what's happening behind him, that's why he got a red card after five minutes in the match against Burnley.

"They (England) would surely like to hold the ball and play a possession game, so we have to be close to them. Don't be afraid to kick them three or four times - then they may change the plan and play just one or two touches."

Interesting to read Matej Vydra's comments about Harry Maguire being targetted by Burnley. I am sure they are not the only team that has noticed this.

For example, Maguire. We talked about him at Burnley before we played against Leicester. In some moments it seems he doesn't know what's happening behind him, that's why he got a red card after five minutes in the match against Burnley.

Although Vydra isn't wrong in the fact that Maguire has weaknesses, only yesterday there was an article by Pascal Gross at Brighton saying Maguire is the toughest opponent he has ever faced as he's so strong at tackling and is skilful going forward.

• Like 3

I said this in another thread but there is no way Maguire is leaving this summer imo.

The top 6 aren't interested at a price we would want to sell at. We have him under a long contract so we'll get some years out of him.

Plus, his stock has fallen. He's still a very good player for a club of our level but the likes of Man United are not going to drop 60m on him - they can do better. 

The links last summer only came off the back of a top world cup and Jose being a bit desperate for a CB.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

How are the centre back options for these couple of games Maguire, Keane and Tarkowski? 

Maguire is a very good player but has the occasional sign of weakness, pretty much like most defenders around the world nowadays. 3 at the back was/is perfect for him. 

8 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

How are the centre back options for these couple of games Maguire, Keane and Tarkowski? 

Maguire is a very good player but has the occasional sign of weakness, pretty much like most defenders around the world nowadays. 3 at the back was/is perfect for him. 

It's convenient the 'key' players for the top few clubs have all withdrawn, getting to the business end of the season and they're withdrawing. I know we need to fit in games like this but I'd rather just have a week without football than friendly international games which are just money makers and chances to get injured.

Whilst I don't think Vydra is necessarily a Premiership quality player, I think he's quite right in his assessment of Maguire for me personally. His positioning isn't great and I think his comment that 'he sometimes doesn't know what's going on behind him' is spot on! ??. He seemed a better defender in his first season but after the World Cup, it's as if he believes all the hype and thinks his slow coach attacking is more important than his defending. I don't think it any coincidence that when he was previously injured, our defence looked and statistics tended to show, that we were more solid with Evans and Morgan. Neither are fast, Morgan looks uncomfortable on the ball, but both read the game so much better than Maguire and see defending as their job. That isn't to say Maguire is a poor player but, it wouldn't be the end of the world if we could get big money for him as we have two young centre backs in the wings and Benkovic in particular looks as if he could well make the grade. There are other areas we are more deficient in.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/32461/11671431/harry-maguire-is-englands-weak-link-says-matej-vydra

"For example, Maguire. We talked about him at Burnley before we played against Leicester. In some moments it seems he doesn't know what's happening behind him, that's why he got a red card after five minutes in the match against Burnley.

He is 100% correct. Maguire is superb at bringing the ball out, he could genuinely play centre midfield if necessary, but his positioning and awareness needs work and is the reason why he plays for a mid-table club instead of a Champions League one. He can learn it, and it will improve over time a bit like how Rio Ferdinand improve over time. I feel he is better than David Luiz for example who is another defender who is good on the ball. But we've seen it all season long, he has a mistake in him. 

7 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

He is 100% correct. Maguire is superb at bringing the ball out, he could genuinely play centre midfield if necessary, but his positioning and awareness needs work and is the reason why he plays for a mid-table club instead of a Champions League one. He can learn it, and it will improve over time a bit like how Rio Ferdinand improve over time. I feel he is better than David Luiz for example who is another defender who is good on the ball. But we've seen it all season long, he has a mistake in him. 

thats exactly why  he couldn’t play center mid... they’d just pass the ball round him

Ah but Neil Warnock disagrees.

Neil Warnock has dismissed suggestions Harry Maguire is the ‘weak link’ in the England team, telling talkSPORT he would be wanted by all the top Premier League clubs if he was available.

The Cardiff manager’s comments come after Matej Vydra admitted the Czech Republic team could look to target Maguire during Friday’s Euro 2020 qualifier at Wembley – which is LIVE on talkSPORT.

Maguire was one of the stars of the Three Lions’ run to the World Cup semi-finals in the summer – and even became an internet meme sensation – but he has struggled for form this season since returning to action for Leicester City.

Maguire has suffered a dip in form since the World Cup

Warnock admitted he had doubts over whether the centre-back would make it at the top level having watched from afar as he came through the ranks at former club Sheffield United.

But he is now pleased to see the 26-year-old proved him wrong, and insists Maguire is a credit to his club and country.

“From his days at Sheffield he’s just improved everywhere he’s gone,” Warnock said on Thursday’s Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.

“I must admit, I didn’t think he’d go that far at the time because I thought his pace would let him down, but he’s just been fabulous.

“You can’t tell me that not many clubs in the Premier League who would want to snap him up if he became available tomorrow.

“Good luck to him. He’s been credit to everybody.”

• Like 1

The Maguire situation is a funny one, I honestly think he could become a bit of a hinderance for us. He's too big a player to drop but I don't think we will sell him as none of the top clubs will want him. That means Soyuncu is pretty much done here before his career has ever started and Benkovic will likely fall foul next season to being the 3rd choice, sometimes 4th choice behind Morgan. I would happily sell Maguire, even for £25-30m as defensively he isn't good enough in a team like ours, he needs better players around him but I just don't see there being any interest.

i don’t understand some of the stick he gets. He’s an england regular who still hasn’t reached the peak age for a CB.

people have to understsnd  the pressure having 2 attacking/ pressing full backs puts on CBs. it makes them much more vulnerable. you have to develop a different mindset. Its the same as playing 3 cbs at the back instead of 2 cbs.. it’s another way of playing for a cb with a different positional awareness needed.

Granted, he needs to get used to all this, but goodness give the guy a break.

• Like 2

Just now, MPH said:

i don’t understand some of the stick he gets. He’s an england regular who still hasn’t reached the peak age for a CB.

people have to understsnd  the pressure having 2 attacking/ pressing full backs puts on CBs. it makes them much more vulnerable. you have to develop a different mindset. Its the same as playing 3 cbs at the back instead of 2 cbs.. it’s another way of playing for a cb with a different positional awareness needed.

Granted, he needs to get used to all this, but goodness give the guy a break.

In a back four, with attacking full backs he is average at best. In a back 3 where he is afforded more time on the ball to go forward (which is his strongest asset) and cover to drop in behind him, he is a very good player. I just don't any of the top clubs taking that risk and building their team around a limited player just to get the best out of him.

In regards to the England games Maguire is far better than Tarkovski or Keane. Those two are fairly dodgy at the best of times.

I would take Vydra's comment with a pinch of salt. The media were probably trying to get him to say something controversial, if not they made it up as usual.