Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Harry Maguire

11 hours ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Big money like this and Maguire should be let go.

If anyone offers over £50m for Chilwell I will drive him to whoever wants him. At the moment he remains massively over rated. Almost zero end product as a wing back, and out of position many a time at the back.

He has a great engine, but that alone is his only attribute.

It would be great business selling this pair for £125m. We have other young centre backs, plus we will have cash to buy a better left back. Ricardo for £20m looks a good buy; let’s get his twin on the left instead of Chillers.

How to make 50 million seem like it's not quite enough. 

£65m for Maguire is too good to turn down. It’d have to be silly money (£70m+) for me to be convinced to let Chilly go.

Although if that does happen, the smart thing to do would be to negotiate deals for their replacements before they actually go so that selling clubs don’t put their price up knowing we have a bit of money to spend.

Edited by Devonfox1884

22 hours ago, AKCJ said:

We should only be selling one big player this summer.

If the fees are 75m for Chilwell and 65m for Maguire. Then i'd sooner sell Chilwell.

I think finding a replacement left back of Chilwell's quality will be easier than finding a replacement centre half of Maguire's quality.

Soyuncu or Benkovic are not ready to step up yet.

I'm pretty much convinced of the opposite of this post lol

• Like 2

If we sell our best players for big money we'll never be able to replace them for players as good or better in the long run.

We'll end up slipping further down the table.

We could not attract a Chilwell or Maguire or Vardy now at the level they're at. It's too much of a gamble to hope to constantly develop players to England first team standard.

Lose those 3 for example and it's all a gamble. All unknown. Most likely relegation.

• Like 2

Expecting a new left back to come in and just be quality is a leap of faith. Chilwell is a home grown boy and will  always offer that little bit more than someone else of the same ability. 

Maguire is not the type of player that grows on trees either. Some of his assets in the position he plays are not very common ....

he will be a big loss but given the choice, I would prefer to lose Harry at this stage. We should be aiming to keep them both but this is the real world, not football manager .....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NewquayFox said:

Would be a big loss for us if both Maguire and Chilwell left, lack of ambition by our club in my opinion......

Our club has shown the greatest ambition in getting Brendan in as manager. I'm sure the players will think the same. Had Puel still been in charge there would have been an exodus of our best players. Hopefully, the players will now want to give it at least another season along with new signings to see how far we can go.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Exactly the same. As per usual, I agree and think completely the opposite to AKCJ. Chilwell is destined to become a superb LB imo and far more difficult to replace long term than Maguire.

Spot on. We could replace Maguire without looking in the transfer marker. Chilwell would be incredibly difficult to replace.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1

On 23/03/2019 at 07:17, Col city fan said:

Exactly the same. As per usual, I agree and think completely the opposite to AKCJ. Chilwell is destined to become a superb LB imo and far more difficult to replace long term than Maguire.

Yep. Good left backs are more difficult to find than good centre backs.

Massive shame that Evans isn't younger because he's our best defender hands down.

Edited by Fox92

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Yep. Good left backs are more difficult to find than good centre backs.

Massive shame that Evans isn't younger because he's our best defender hands down.

The lad from Celtic looks to be available for £25m and Scots think he's better than Andy Robertson.

Harry Maguire is the only CB we've had for about 20 years that a top side would actually want. Mad how people are underrating him after 1 or 2 mistakes. 

A back four of Ricardo, Evans, Maguire and Chilwell should be kept together if we want to improve. Not many players available to us that can improve that back 4. It's comfortably the best outside of the top 6. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 23/03/2019 at 08:47, Grebfromgrebland said:

If we sell our best players for big money we'll never be able to replace them for players as good or better in the long run.

We'll end up slipping further down the table.

We could not attract a Chilwell or Maguire or Vardy now at the level they're at. It's too much of a gamble to hope to constantly develop players to England first team standard.

Lose those 3 for example and it's all a gamble. All unknown. Most likely relegation.

I don’t want to see them leave but accept  Barcelona and Real Madrid are the only teams in the world who don’t have to worry about losing their best players to other teams (and even Neymar and Ronaldo left) we can do our best to keep them but if Champions League clubs come in with offers they’ll more than likely go.

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

The lad from Celtic looks to be available for £25m and Scots think he's better than Andy Robertson.

Harry Maguire is the only CB we've had for about 20 years that a top side would actually want. Mad how people are underrating him after 1 or 2 mistakes. 

A back four of Ricardo, Evans, Maguire and Chilwell should be kept together if we want to improve. Not many players available to us that can improve that back 4. It's comfortably the best outside of the top 6. 

The Scots have many strange opinions, and apparently Tierney has been struggling all season with a reoccuring injury, which doesn't exactly sound like something we would like. Defensively he could very easily get exposed playing in the PL.

How many LBs can you name in this league that can both defend and attack at a high level? Chilwell is unique and developing further.

Maguire, on the other hand, although being in the Top 5 best ball playing CBS in the league (behind only Alderweireld, van Dijk, and Luiz imo) is defensively average to good at this level and we can replace him suffering only a minimal drop in quality imo.

• Like 3

I don't want Harry or chillers to go and think/hope that they give it at least another season. Hopefully they will see progression (providing that actually happens) and want to stay. Looking at what the club want to achieve. Thats what I think they will be hoping for. Just need Rodgers to do what we all know needs doing. Keep the best, get rid of the crap, and add more quality. Here's to hoping that happens :fc:

49 minutes ago, blue army 1988 said:

Much better than Chilwell right now in my opinion

with respect to your opinion …………….

as many have said, we shouldn't be selling our best players. if you are clever, then you sell those below the top level for a big fee and keep the ones at the top happy. however, this is the real world and if a player wants to go then as long as we get an obscene amount of money for them then we likely have to sell - i wouldn't allow both to leave in the same season though. if maguire has been promised a move for the right price then he should take precedence over chillys request

On 23/03/2019 at 08:38, NewquayFox said:

Would be a big loss for us if both Maguire and Chilwell left, lack of ambition by our club in my opinion......

I understand the frustration at the prospect of losing half the England defence. But to say the club lacks ambition is just ludicrous. Ten years ago, or even less, we were getting excited about signing lower league players with a bit of promise!  Now we have a stadium expansion on the way, a Championship winning year under our belts, quarter-finals for fun, one of the most state-of-the -art training facilities  in the world being constructed currently, players on wages that most teams in the world can’t match and incoming transfers that are for simply astronomical fees. And then those players can’t even get game time. Add to that a very good name as manager, I just don’t know where you see the lack of ambition? We are not, and never will be United or Liverpool. Players will always want to go to the next level if they possibly can. It’s just human nature. But at least we are asking/getting decent money when they do and reinvesting. Is that not ambition? It may not be Peter Risdale ambition or Portsmouth ambition- but I think we can do without those irresponsible fantasies. Rant over. Apologies! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Agree with that also.

I think, when you look in the PL, a club our size isn't probably going to get any better than Maguire. I have always felt, however, his errors get glossed over more than other players (especially Morgan) and that's not a recent change in opinion for me.

The back four you mention there should be kept together, and hopefully will be.

• Like 1