Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Harry Maguire

On 16/03/2019 at 18:21, 49er said:

On what basis is he 'class'. He's slow and, for a defender, reads the game poorly. Evans and Morgan are proper defenders. Harry can occasionally bring the ball out, but first and foremost we need someone who can defend. He would be ok at the likes of Man City or Man Utd because he would probably only have to deal with a couple of attacks in a game.

You're not watching the same player as me.

• Like 3

Just had a look on redcafe and some of their fans aren't so keen on this move. Apparently he's clumsy, lacks recovery pace and not instinctive enough to danger. Also "everytime I watch Leicester he's at fault for a goal" lol

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/is-harry-maguire-really-better-than-smalling-and-bailly-has-woodward-got-this-right.440763/page-8

22 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

Just had a look on redcafe and some of their fans aren't so keen on this move. Apparently he's clumsy, lacks recovery pace and not instinctive enough to danger. Also "everytime I watch Leicester he's at fault for a goal" lol

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/is-harry-maguire-really-better-than-smalling-and-bailly-has-woodward-got-this-right.440763/page-8

I think they're right. He's not good enough for United but if they want to spend 65m I certainly wouldn't stand in their way. However, that is without considering any coaching input from Rodgers though in fairness, I don't think he's renowned for his tight defences.

26 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

Well they're not wrong in fairness.

• Like 1

Big fan of Maguire but as much as I hate to admit, I do agree with a lot of the Utd fans opinions and sentiments towards him.

Maguire is one of those players that might just be a little too good for a team outside the top six but not quite good enough for a top six team, not at least as a regular starter anyway. He's had a pretty average season so far and I think the club would be tempted if someone offered silly money, which I still think might happen.

Its the same situation with Mahrez, too good for us but at Man City he's not ripped up any trees and has really struggled to nail down a starting spot.

We should only be selling one big player this summer.

If the fees are 75m for Chilwell and 65m for Maguire. Then i'd sooner sell Chilwell.

I think finding a replacement left back of Chilwell's quality will be easier than finding a replacement centre half of Maguire's quality.

Soyuncu or Benkovic are not ready to step up yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

If the fees are 75m for Chilwell and 65m for Maguire. Then i'd sooner sell Chilwell.

I think finding a replacement left back of Chilwell's quality will be easier than finding a replacement centre half of Maguire's quality.

Big money like this and Maguire should be let go.

If anyone offers over £50m for Chilwell I will drive him to whoever wants him. At the moment he remains massively over rated. Almost zero end product as a wing back, and out of position many a time at the back.

He has a great engine, but that alone is his only attribute.

It would be great business selling this pair for £125m. We have other young centre backs, plus we will have cash to buy a better left back. Ricardo for £20m looks a good buy; let’s get his twin on the left instead of Chillers.

2 hours ago, Dames said:

Big fan of Maguire but as much as I hate to admit, I do agree with a lot of the Utd fans opinions and sentiments towards him.

Maguire is one of those players that might just be a little too good for a team outside the top six but not quite good enough for a top six team, not at least as a regular starter anyway. He's had a pretty average season so far and I think the club would be tempted if someone offered silly money, which I still think might happen.

Its the same situation with Mahrez, too good for us but at Man City he's not ripped up any trees and has really struggled to nail down a starting spot.

On Harry,whether he stays or goes.....We will see him develope and improve.He's a CB...he's still 1-2 seasons off his peak.

unlike many on here I don't go for dissing off every player in a foxes shirt...I am clever enough to play wait and see...Plus I couldn't give a damn

what other forums say..and never use them to prove my own thoughts on a player....

these last 6 seasons has proven this forum can't pick a player....and still hasn't learnt,all quality potential PL players,usually are good enough,but need

Sometime and space,to start reaching their higher potential. ..Harry will get better,like Gomez & Stones.  Van dyke,is only showing now what he is all about!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AKCJ said:

With Fuchs leaving, selling Chilwell means we would not only have to replace one of the most promising full-backs around but also one of the best backup left backs in the Prem. I'd rather we sell Maguire as I honestly believe Benkovic will be a revelation for us next season. Evans and Big Ben, with Soyuncu, Morgan and Amartey as back up sounds good to me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

On Harry,whether he stays or goes.....We will see him develope and improve.He's a CB...he's still 1-2 seasons off his peak.

unlike many on here I don't go for dissing off every player in a foxes shirt...I am clever enough to play wait and see...Plus I couldn't give a damn

what other forums say..and never use them to prove my own thoughts on a player....

these last 6 seasons has proven this forum can't pick a player....and still hasn't learnt,all quality potential PL players,usually are good enough,but need

Sometime and space,to start reaching their higher potential. ..Harry will get better,like Gomez & Stones.  Van dyke,is only showing now what he is all about!!!

Gomez and Stones are both younger than Maguire and are performing at a higher level than him. Van Dijk is only a year older but is miles ahead in quality and has been showing quality in the Premier League for about 4 seasons.

I'm not slating Maguire here but the comparisons you've picked don't look good, at his age if Maguire was at the same level as the players you've mentioned he'd already be there or knocking on the door very loudly. He had a brief knock on the door in the summer but since then he's gone backwards slightly if anything.

I'm not saying Maguire is a bad player either, he's a very good player for the level we are at but the point was that he's probably not good enough for the level above as a first choice, he makes a fair amount of mistakes, his positioning can be suspect sometimes and has some issues with his concentration. He will improve some more over time and I hope he does but if we are offered 65 million for him then we should take it as we can reinvest that in other areas.

5 minutes ago, TonyN11 said:

Anyone joining Man Utd in the Summer would have to be sanctioned by Pochettino (I still think Man U will be after him) and I'm not sure he's a Poch player.

I don't think it'll be Poch. Fans will have a riot if it's not Solskjaer and Spurs have their swanky new stadium 

1 minute ago, TK95 said:

I don't think it'll be Poch. Fans will have a riot if it's not Solskjaer and Spurs have their swanky new stadium 

Yes but  Man U and Solskjaer will not win the league; Spurs and Poch will not win the league but Man U and Poch might.

5 hours ago, Dames said:

Gomez and Stones are both younger than Maguire and are performing at a higher level than him. Van Dijk is only a year older but is miles ahead in quality and has been showing quality in the Premier League for about 4 seasons.

I'm not slating Maguire here but the comparisons you've picked don't look good, at his age if Maguire was at the same level as the players you've mentioned he'd already be there or knocking on the door very loudly. He had a brief knock on the door in the summer but since then he's gone backwards slightly if anything.

I'm not saying Maguire is a bad player either, he's a very good player for the level we are at but the point was that he's probably not good enough for the level above as a first choice, he makes a fair amount of mistakes, his positioning can be suspect sometimes and has some issues with his concentration. He will improve some more over time and I hope he does but if we are offered 65 million for him then we should take it as we can reinvest that in other areas.

First ,before we go off presuming..and assuming.

He's actually  done well internationally,when he was called upon.!!!

For us,he's not been that bad,and carried a knock,then had another injury..so any heavy critic is way over the top   ...

The comparisons..were just to show that awareness of the various and different paths of CBs,that are often in the footballing headlines,and how they according to some fans,were not worthy of being classed for higher levels..

All 3 have had yoyo seasons!!

And yes Van Dyke has taken his level..Imo worthy of saying Wclass.....

Yes the other 2 are slightly younger....but Harry has proved his worth at Leicester and England

Too many go far too much into deep analysing,and detail...again he's broke through to International level and again imo,though he's not been consistent,still has shown,he is a top PL player,who's in the middle of his career....

CB s Like we have seen,are not any easy comodity to find....With..Evans,Harry...Benkovic  & Soyuncu,with Morgan in the background,is exactly the spread what we have been waiting,crying out for...Quality BLine with competition & cover,

for our new Manager BRodgers to have at his disposle .

Then fans,without any serious afterthought want to start to throw out the essnce of  that group,

which took time to build,for a miserable 60-80 million...I

Every CB,player make mistakes,even V.Dyke has had some low moments,so diving not jumping on Harry's hiccups,is defo OTT.

Plus saying or thinking he can't make that next step of level is IMO a total mis-judgement.....

ie: ...Squires...Vardy,Morgan,Huth,Simpson,Drinkwater,Albrighton,Chilwell,Periera......blah,blah blah.  Like the song says ."When will we/they ever learn"

US!!!    LEICESTER CITY, !!  THE TRAVELLERS-and SCAMPY TITLE WINNERS.!!!

I HOPE Maquire stays..I enjoy his Forward forages,late goals,the odd red card...and the knowledge he has quality that will take another upward curve..

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, AKCJ said:

I think the exact opposite of everything written here - quality outside is far harder to duplicate than having a big plodder in the middle to head things away. Soyuncu was a top Bundesliga prospect who played quite a few games for Freiberg - him and Benkovic are ready to be bloodied in the PL.