Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Harry Maguire

Needs to get back to working on his defending. It's great that he can play the ball out confidently but ultimately his job is to defend. Been pretty dreadful this season and maybe the world cup hype went to his head.

There's a good player in there though

Edited by foxfanazer

30 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

In a back four, with attacking full backs he is average at best. In a back 3 where he is afforded more time on the ball to go forward (which is his strongest asset) and cover to drop in behind him, he is a very good player. I just don't any of the top clubs taking that risk and building their team around a limited player just to get the best out of him.

see your point, but the way some people go about it on here you’d think he has a wooden leg and a patch over his left eye. and a frozen shoulder.

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The Maguire situation is a funny one, I honestly think he could become a bit of a hinderance for us. He's too big a player to drop but I don't think we will sell him as none of the top clubs will want him. That means Soyuncu is pretty much done here before his career has ever started and Benkovic will likely fall foul next season to being the 3rd choice, sometimes 4th choice behind Morgan. I would happily sell Maguire, even for £25-30m as defensively he isn't good enough in a team like ours, he needs better players around him but I just don't see there being any interest.

Don't think he'll be behind Morgan not once he's acclimatised to the PL and injury free.

Rodger's re Evans article

“We have great experience within the squad. Look at the top end of the field in Jamie Vardy and you look at Wes Morgan behind the scenes, who doesn't play so much maybe but he has that good experience.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-makes-big-claim-2668243

• Like 2

I think comments from Burnley players are probably best ignored.   Harry is not having the best time it of late, but seriously Burnley are not thrilling the EPL either are they??.

I suspect he has probably been misquoted anyway.

49 minutes ago, MPH said:

thats exactly why  he couldn’t play center mid... they’d just pass the ball round him

Well it's less important in midfield because there would be defenders behind him to handle that. Of course awareness of what is happening around you is arguably even more important for a central midfielder, but you do have that insurance of if you lose the ball that there is someone else behind you who could recover the situation.

Regarding teams targeting Maguire, I recall in the "phantom" Nations League match against Croatia that their coaching team could be easily heard shouting Maguire's name over and over, and I believe they too were trying to target him as a weakness. But all this sort of talk should help him improve over time. Teams used to target Chilwell against us, playing the long diagonal in behind him over and over. I remember Liverpool at home trying this tactic many times, but it didn't work as he has adjusted to it after getting caught out last season when it happened. Maguire has had some good defensive performances this season too, so it's not like he is a complete liability. It's just that he is definitely not the finished article yet.

Harry is a new age Centreback. There are managers that seem to value the attacking side to a defender as much as their ability to defend. 

With Harry, you will get the best of him as part of a 3. (This isn’t a play 3 at the back rant) He thrives from being able to get on the ball and take some risks and as everyone has mentioned his positioning is suspect at times. With 3 at the back he can get away with this! 

I think its harsh to say to say he can’t defend, because he really can. You see this in his last ditch tackles and blocks, his ability in the air can’t be questioned. The issue is simply that he’s often the reason that he has to make last ditch saves. 

In terms of a defender he’s still young, I’m confident he will continue to improve

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 2

I've come round to the thinking that he's a bit over-rated in all honesty particularly defensively. Fair arguments about him possibly being fatigued after a long summer of playing as well but he's not at the top bracket like some would have you believe.

He's probably made more errors than Morgan this season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Well it's less important in midfield because there would be defenders behind him to handle that. Of course awareness of what is happening around you is arguably even more important for a central midfielder, but you do have that insurance of if you lose the ball that there is someone else behind you who could recover the situation.

Regarding teams targeting Maguire, I recall in the "phantom" Nations League match against Croatia that their coaching team could be easily heard shouting Maguire's name over and over, and I believe they too were trying to target him as a weakness. But all this sort of talk should help him improve over time. Teams used to target Chilwell against us, playing the long diagonal in behind him over and over. I remember Liverpool at home trying this tactic many times, but it didn't work as he has adjusted to it after getting caught out last season when it happened. Maguire has had some good defensive performances this season too, so it's not like he is a complete liability. It's just that he is definitely not the finished article yet.

You mean like the Fulham goal? You're right, Chilwell has dealt with that ball better, most likely after some mentoring from Fuchs, but he can still make the occasional mistake. I agree that Maguire, like every player, has improvements to make and he's got two excellent people to learn from in Wes and Kolo

16 minutes ago, cal21212121 said:

You mean like the Fulham goal? You're right, Chilwell has dealt with that ball better, most likely after some mentoring from Fuchs, but he can still make the occasional mistake. I agree that Maguire, like every player, has improvements to make and he's got two excellent people to learn from in Wes and Kolo

Yep, that was a throwback to what teams used to do. Though in this case, it was a clear human error instead of Fulham tactically identifying it as a clear weakness. They did nothing in that match until that mistake.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Didn't Guadiola target him as well?  Seems it's a growing theme.

18 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Stats like this are one of the reasons I find watching Maguire so frustrating. With his strength and ability in the air he should be a beast in the Rob Huth mould. He can contribute by going forward but by doing so he continually exposes his biggest weakness in his lack of pace. With a bit more tactical discipline I think he would be a much better player.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mancunianfox said:

Stats like this are one of the reasons I find watching Maguire so frustrating. With his strength and ability in the air he should be a beast in the Rob Huth mould. He can contribute by going forward but by doing so he continually exposes his biggest weakness in his lack of pace. With a bit more tactical discipline I think he would be a much better player.

I’m hoping he stays and Brendan can develop him further next season. It’s worth remembering that he had a brilliant summer but didn’t have a rest after coming home. Plus he’s had an injury, and Puel’s management wasn’t great either. 

• Like 2

I’d be much more pissed off to see Chilwell leave than Harry. Harry is good but I believe Chilwell will become exceptional.

It’s obvious what Maguire’s main limitation is....pace. I doubt he’ll ever be an ever-present in a really top side because his lack of pace just gets exploited too frequently.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

I think the whole defence looks nervous as a group, we make a massive amount of unforced errors.

I think we a rest and a summer off the boy can come back a better player.

I do think he must be mentally tired, it has been a whirlwind for him, ever since he came to us. I also think he can play a lot better than he has played for us, for most of the season.

I've come to the view that virtually all our players were under performing with Claude, form was lost and problems set in. I think we need a bit of time to see how the squad settles under Brendan, then we can judge our quality better.

Is Mags going to end up at that Nations Cup thingy, rather than on the beach next summer?:(

14 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I’d be much more pissed off to see Chilwell leave than Harry. Harry is good but I believe Chilwell will become exceptional.

It’s obvious what Maguire’s main limitation is....pace. I doubt he’ll ever be an ever-present in a really top side because his lack of pace just gets exploited too frequently.

Spot on both on counts.

15 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I think you're right about this, but I also agree that he's tired. Also, plenty of slow players have coped by reading the game well, and he perhaps could work on this. 

26 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

Daily papers saying Man U confident of signing him in the Summer for £65 million. I would snap their hands off if true. Benkovic will be a more than adequate replacement.

Ridiculous fee. Have to sell for that. 

But I doubt there is anything in it

37 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

Daily papers saying Man U confident of signing him in the Summer for £65 million. I would snap their hands off if true. Benkovic will be a more than adequate replacement.

It’s not a secret through - Harry to man u

We bought 3 CB’s last summer !!

it all fits 

those who wonder about his drop off in form should also remember how poor van dijk was for Soton in the half season before he left for lpool - once players hearts aren’t 100%  in it, they lose something from their game .....

EDIT: there is something that you could look out for though - if Brendan is able to talk him round into another year then you would expect to see his performance (and concentration) levels edge up .....but if he stays at his ‘comfortable level’ then expect him to leave in June after the nations league is done. 

Edited by st albans fox
  • Thanks 1