Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

7 hours ago, st albans fox said:

That’s a tad cynical ....he won’t love the club like we do but I’m sure he has a lot of fondness for us. 

he he wants to play for Man City and win things or he wants to secure his family’s next fifty years + with a forty million quid contract from yanited 

7 hours ago, Goober said:

Why can’t he love the club and want to better his life/career? 

I imagine he’s extremely thankful of the platform the club gave him, how they’ve looked after him and he probably has a genuine bond with a lot of the people here.

5 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I don't agree with this at all.  Someone can love the club and still realistically accept the chance to go to one of the biggest clubs in the world for a huge pay increase.  Good God - compare the way Harry has handled this situation with the way Mahrez did.

I've said if before - I don't know how any LCFC fan could ask more of a guy than what Harry has done with regards to the transfer drama.  I'd sell him in a heartbeat for 80 million but I'll regard him with nothing but gratitude if he does go.

I don't doubt that he may have 'fondness' for the club, don't doubt he's grateful for the platform we've given him, and agree he's handled the situation well- with dignity, even - and I have nothing bad to say about him; but he wasn't born here, never supported us, and has only been here a couple of years. There is no way he 'loves' the club, that is just a gross undervaluing of the word.

Put yourself in his shoes, as Leicester fans. If you were good enough to play football, and spent a couple of years at a club other than Leicester, would you 'love' that club because they treated you well? Could you love any club but Leicester?

• Like 1

Only club Harry loves, and rightly so, is Sheff Utd I would have suspected

He has respect and fondness for Leicester, for what he has gained since he came here (England, EPL progress, ££, etc)

But anyone who suddenly expects him to be our #1 fan is kidding themselves.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

I don't doubt that he may have 'fondness' for the club, don't doubt he's grateful for the platform we've given him, and agree he's handled the situation well- with dignity, even - and I have nothing bad to say about him; but he wasn't born here, never supported us, and has only been here a couple of years. There is no way he 'loves' the club, that is just a gross undervaluing of the word.

Put yourself in his shoes, as Leicester fans. If you were good enough to play football, and spent a couple of years at a club other than Leicester, would you 'love' that club because they treated you well? Could you love any club but Leicester?

In answer to your last question - of course you could but unlikely in two years .......

we we have plenty of examples in our squad of players who have no natural affinity to the cub who clearly do love it 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, happy85 said:

Man Utd are getting closer to signing Harry Maguire. The deal is being finalised with the fee being close to €90m (£81m). 

24699FE7-8574-4252-94B7-EEFE313B7E83.png

I don't care about how much we have to pay for him, I don't want to see Phil Jones in our defence this season.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Thecarrickfan said:

I don't care about how much we have to pay for him, I don't want to see Phil Jones in our defence this season.

That makes two of us :thumbup:

• Like 1

This is a complete aside, but I feel like there was a conscious effort by the club to foster a really good camaraderie and develop a peer group for all these guys which makes the off the pitch environment so appealing; I think it's one of the better things the club's done. I think it's kept Maguire publicly ambivalent and hooked Youri. I imagine this is in stark contrast to 'top clubs' more mercenary, cutthroat environment where I imagine to a certain extent there peer groups are more siloed and it's really business only. Obviously all these guys talk to each other so I get the sense a lot of them know how good it is here? I could be talking out of my ass but if I recall Drinkwater said something to this effect after his departure.

Anyways point is, I think its a major kudos to the club that they targeted this as an attainable differentiator to make us more attractive to top players. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Buce said:

??. Love where this thread has gone. Debating our ability to love on FT?. Superb. Funnily enough, I had this conversation with my second-born the other day. I was explaining to him that I could never love him as much as his older sister as she was here first  ..........  Or was it the other way round, that I could never love her as much again  now there was a new addition to the family?! ?‍♂️ Or was it that my capacity to feel love was completely independent and unaffected by a previous  or subsequent relationship? One of those.  ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Guest Markyblue
40 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Only club Harry loves, and rightly so, is Sheff Utd I would have suspected

He has respect and fondness for Leicester, for what he has gained since he came here (England, EPL progress, ££, etc)

But anyone who suddenly expects him to be our #1 fan is kidding themselves.

If he loved this club he wouldn't leave simple as.  Hes already at a progressive club on more money than most of us can dream about.  Hes an England regular and got a manager that will get the best out of him and team mates young and hungry for success.  Does he love us not if he leaves he dont.

1 minute ago, Markyblue said:

If he loved this club he wouldn't leave simple as.  Hes already at a progressive club on more money than most of us can dream about.  Hes an England regular and got a manager that will get the best out of him and team mates young and hungry for success.  Does he love us not if he leaves he dont.

Man Utd us a massive club, will continue to be so for the next 10 years should they even finish 6-8th every season during that time.

Certain clubs are just huge, almost despite their on field antics. 

He doesn't love Leicester, he greatly appreciates what his time here has given him. To claim otherwise is just hyperbole and disingenous

Fans see things in a very binary way, you are either a) a fan, or b) a dick

Key Point (Dare I say fact..) Players are rarely fans.

:scarf:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, knitro said:

This is a complete aside, but I feel like there was a conscious effort by the club to foster a really good camaraderie and develop a peer group for all these guys which makes the off the pitch environment so appealing; I think it's one of the better things the club's done. I think it's kept Maguire publicly ambivalent and hooked Youri. I imagine this is in stark contrast to 'top clubs' more mercenary, cutthroat environment where I imagine to a certain extent there peer groups are more siloed and it's really business only. Obviously all these guys talk to each other so I get the sense a lot of them know how good it is here? I could be talking out of my ass but if I recall Drinkwater said something to this effect after his departure.

Anyways point is, I think its a major kudos to the club that they targeted this as an attainable differentiator to make us more attractive to top players. 

I agree with all of this - I think the club have made a conscious effort to create a good atmosphere and strong team spirit. I'm sure Pearson started it, or at least valued it highly, and it's carried on since then.

However, I think the idea was to keep morale high and make the club a good place to work in order to get the best results on the pitch. I think the fact that it might make us a more attractive club to top players is a by-product. A very welcome one, nonetheless, but still not the main aim.

10 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

I just don’t want to see Phil Jones this season, in any capacity

Recommend you avoid hospitals, clinics, doctors, possibly even chemists in that case :ill:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

However, I think the idea was to keep morale high and make the club a good place to work in order to get the best results on the pitch. I think the fact that it might make us a more attractive club to top players is a by-product. A very welcome one, nonetheless, but still not the main aim.

I think fostering the best possible environment has many benefits - perhaps the one you highlight is achievable before top players would be interested, but I imagine in the long term plan wants both goals rather intentionally. I mean the club along with the supporters (and his teammates) were all in on the 'Youri stay' campaign. I dunno - I think we're mostly agreeing!

Brendan talking ..   would strongly suggest to me that if he goes we will look to bring in someone else ...    ie Caglar and  Benko not, at this moment in time, the answer ...

61F6D8A0-C123-40A7-BFFC-B45235BFF99A.jpeg

Edited by Countryfox

21 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Brendan talking ..   would strongly suggest to me that if he goes we will look to bring in someone else ...    ie Caglar and  Benko not, at this moment in time, the answer ...

61F6D8A0-C123-40A7-BFFC-B45235BFF99A.jpeg

Or...mind games Just telling the world Maguire is also valuable to us,if he does go we need time to find a replacement.!!

If Rodgers says..."oh well if he goes,we have adequate cover"...

Harry thinks..then let me go...!!

Prospect buyer,thinks!! then why should we pay too much for someone they can easily replace.

Nothing is obvious,nothing is so black n white!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Man Utd us a massive club, will continue to be so for the next 10 years should they even finish 6-8th every season during that time.

Certain clubs are just huge, almost despite their on field antics. 

He doesn't love Leicester, he greatly appreciates what his time here has given him. To claim otherwise is just hyperbole and disingenous

Fans see things in a very binary way, you are either a) a fan, or b) a dick

Key Point (Dare I say fact..) Players are rarely fans.

:scarf:

I’m a fan AND a dick. But then I’m sure you’re all aware of this. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Buce said: