Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bourbon Fox

Questions for Brendan Rodgers

4-5-1, 4-4-2 or 4-3-3? 

What kind of player do you want Ndidi to be (DCM or box-to-box)? 

Can we afford to buy a decent striker this summer without selling first? 

Who is going to replace Morgan as club captain when he does go? 

Where will Maddison be playing in five years (midfield, no. 10 or wing)? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/03/2019 at 22:17, SO1 said:

It's just made up from anecdotal evidence. Same old same old. Unless he can prove it of course. Which he/she can't. Happy to sit back and watch Rodgers prove all the naysayers wrong. Especially the misguided Liverpool ones.

That's my opinion.

When you've seen liverpool struggle in the last stages of Brendan's tenure, you can pretty much say where he got it wrong.

I still believe he's a good manager and he's made me and liverpool fans have some great moments in the 13/14 season. I'd like to believe that his approach to football has changed but his records on transfers has been abysmal to say the least. Coutinho was the major player that was hired and that was on the recommendation of Rafa when Brendan was new to the system. 

He had his way after the Suarez money and didn't get good enough recruits. His recruitment set liverpool back a few years.

• Like 2

And to also add. Most of the players bought under him really only started clicking on and becoming much better players after Klopp arrived.

Gomez was injured for almost the whole of Brendan's Tenure. Firmino bought on at the last transfer window of Brendan in Liverpool. Did make his share of astute buys like Milner,Can,Sturridge,Coutinho,Gomez,Ings,Lallana...wasn't his fault for the injuries that plagued Sturridge, Gomez, Ings & Lallana though. But the middling buys like Luis Alberto,Aspas(barely given a chance), having Moreno as a LB and the inability to improve on the squad of 2013 which nearly won the league when Suarez had left. He had the chance to make a good team and he blew it on duds like Benteke, Balotelli, Markovic and bet on a combination of young talent which wasn't ready to deliver yet + above average and not world class players. 

He is a good manager but his transfers historically have been middling at best and his inability to spend on a goalkeeper other than mignolet and unwillingness to spend on defense set liverpool back by a good few years. He did attempt to rectify matters by signing Sakho and Lovren but they weren't the players that needed signing. What liverpool needed was a Van Dijk.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sithbaare said:

When you've seen liverpool struggle in the last stages of Brendan's tenure, you can pretty much say where he got it wrong.

I still believe he's a good manager and he's made me and liverpool fans have some great moments in the 13/14 season. I'd like to believe that his approach to football has changed but his records on transfers has been abysmal to say the least. Coutinho was the major player that was hired and that was on the recommendation of Rafa when Brendan was new to the system. 

He had his way after the Suarez money and didn't get good enough recruits. His recruitment set liverpool back a few years.

13 hours ago, Sithbaare said:

And to also add. Most of the players bought under him really only started clicking on and becoming much better players after Klopp arrived.

Gomez was injured for almost the whole of Brendan's Tenure. Firmino bought on at the last transfer window of Brendan in Liverpool. Did make his share of astute buys like Milner,Can,Sturridge,Coutinho,Gomez,Ings,Lallana...wasn't his fault for the injuries that plagued Sturridge, Gomez, Ings & Lallana though. But the middling buys like Luis Alberto,Aspas(barely given a chance), having Moreno as a LB and the inability to improve on the squad of 2013 which nearly won the league when Suarez had left. He had the chance to make a good team and he blew it on duds like Benteke, Balotelli, Markovic and bet on a combination of young talent which wasn't ready to deliver yet + above average and not world class players. 

He is a good manager but his transfers historically have been middling at best and his inability to spend on a goalkeeper other than mignolet and unwillingness to spend on defense set liverpool back by a good few years. He did attempt to rectify matters by signing Sakho and Lovren but they weren't the players that needed signing. What liverpool needed was a Van Dijk.

You have your opinion I have mine. We'll just have to agree to disagree. I made some posts on the transfer thread to another poster which, I think, fits to what your speaking to here.

Good Luck in the league. I think the owners are scum.:)

WARNING:  THIS WILL CONTAIN ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE

"anecdotal" def. / adjective (of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research./Synonyms/ informal. unreliable. based on hearsay. unscientific.

That's what you've given me. Every last word of it. Sorry to be blunt. Because anecdotal is all we have. Both of us.

Structures /    It seems to me that football supporters are stuck between two worlds when it comes to a football managers/coaches responsibilities. The past, and present. In the past it was the manager that was entirely responsible for everything with the exception of signing the check. Now the manager is a part of a group which consists of 3 or in Liverpool's case 5 other principles in the room having a say on transfers and scouting. The power structure seems totally different then what was 20+ years ago. The modern football manager does not have time to scout every player in God's creation.

Liverpool /   Imagine having an opportunity of a lifetime. A chance to build something that you've been dreaming about for most of your life. you prepare, you interview, you interview again. You finally get the job.

and then they decide they want to have a Director of Football- Louis van Gaal. (Directors of football choose their own managers to give consistency to the style of play). Of course you tell them to go pound it. He's going to undermine you, fire you and possibly take your job. So Liverpool came up with an idea called the "Transfer Committee" and this is how the idea of "Brendan won't work with a DOF" came about. Brendan has his dream job and FSG(owners) have their transfer accountability........and they all lived happily ever after. NOT.

No one really knows how the transfer committee was run but its my observation that Brendan did not choose all of those transfers or even enter the names for consideration. Some sure. I guarantee you that some of those are moneyball signings as in driven exclusively by moneyball/analytics. In other words low fee punts. In Brendan's own words "I had to take somebody". 

Stories of the Evil Empire /  After finishing second in the league and being in the Champions League for the first time in years Luis Suarez left for Barcalona. Two weeks before the end of the window, having failed to get Alexis Sanchez, Rodgers was offered the choice of Samuel Eto'o(35) or Mario Balotelli to replace Suarez or nothing. I was fit to be tied. FSG are scum. All that work for that. Sturridge played 9 matches that year due to injury. Try replacing 55 goals.

During the 13/14 season(winter) Rodgers badly needed reinforcements and was offered Mohammed Salah(that one) for around 11mil. Supposedly it was agreed to and then Liverpool started Low balling Basel. Chelsea paid 13 mil and the rest is history. So Rodgers received nothing to win the league for what was a threadbare squad. Way to go FSG!

Then there's the story about Deli Alli and the opportunity to recruit him from MK DONS that was rejected by the committee. and Henrik Mkhitaryan and.....

I won't even talk about Celtic and their 1 or 2 million dollar punts or Dembele which Rodgers attracted for 500,000 only to be resold for 19 million. Or their idiot CEO who undermined Rodgers every window except the first.

Wake up because you, like me, no nothing. Its all anecdotal.

Support the manager. I hope its here that he's finally allowed to build the beautiful dream that's in his head. I saw Liverpool 13/14 and I will never forget it.

BR: "I want to prioritise every game. Next year, we’ll give it everything. If we want to be a club that can get into Europe, we have to get the players into a mindset that to be successful, you have to play 50 plus games a season. It's something I have experience of."

i want to hug him.

10 minutes ago, North Leeds Fox said:

Sounds very promising from those quotes. If he is serious about the top 6, I wonder whether that is an indication that he will be backed with big funds in the summer. 

Ambitions and expectations, challenging and making. 

It'll be the ambition but everyone is going to be realistic and know that it's not what's actually expected.

• Like 1