Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AndyNCH

Maddison and Sophie

Maddison seemed to accept the booking at the time? It's a shit law but at the end of the day there are a million ways to pay tribute to someone, so if players choose to do that then they have to accept they've put the ref in an invidious position really.

• Like 3

Of course he should have been booked, he and the club know the rules. 

I think there must be better ways to get the sentiment over as he could easily pick up another yellow and cost us the points, especially with Harry already seeing red.

Sterling did the same Friday but he didn't remove his whole shirt which was fine

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyNCH said:

Thought this might help in bringing some perspective to Madderz' tribute.  Ref's do have to follow the law set I accept but surely there are times when the law is in ass and commonsense better advised.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/james-maddison-praises-sophie-taylor-bravery-1-5851984

They get the booking for removing the shirt,i don't know why they don't just pull it up to reveal the tribute we'd all see it just the same.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Collymore said:

Of course he should have been booked, he and the club know the rules. 

I think there must be better ways to get the sentiment over as he could easily pick up another yellow and cost us the points, especially with Harry already seeing red.

Sterling did the same Friday but he didn't remove his whole shirt which was fine

I'd like to think the ref wouldn't see the first yellow as the "warning" card if he made a bad challenge later on. Might be wrong, but you see refs all the time not giving a 2nd yellow for fouls theyd clearly give a 1st one for.

The rule is there to be applied consistently. Otherwise you get dodgy grey area between genuine tributes and other political slogans etc. The ref can't police the validity of messages on shirts so the rule is that everyone gets booked for it..

Maddison doesn't have a problem with it, so not sure why it's still up for discussion?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Fox92 said:

No need to bring Oliver into it. He was doing his job. If he wouldn't have booked him then it'll open a can of worms as to further incidents and "well Maddison got away with it so why didn't I".

Indeed, it’s very easy to say “it’s common sense” but it’s not, that’s  ludicrous. What your essentially saying they are now responsible for not only making moral judgements on what’s justified and what’s not but they are suppose to know every player on the pitches personal situations. Ridiculous. You take your shirt off your in the book.

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Like 3

I don't think you would ever see a ref give a second yellow after taking a shirt off for a tribute. I'm sure if Maddison had done something bookable after his yellow Oliver would have told him right that's a yellow card offence do it again and I will have to send you off.

• Like 1

I made the point at the time that it was a bit risky to say the least and he could have put his team in trouble and got a  roasting on here for it.

Lots of other ways to make a personal tribute.

I just wonder about these guys like what happens in the dressing room when hes putting on his shirt did Brendan say don't do it

54 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

I don't think you would ever see a ref give a second yellow after taking a shirt off for a tribute. I'm sure if Maddison had done something bookable after his yellow Oliver would have told him right that's a yellow card offence do it again and I will have to send you off.

Im sure someone has been sent off for that.

Maddison planned it beforehand, so would have been well aware that he would have got a yellow for it.

Rodgers presumably knew about it as well and approved it - again knowing what the punishment was.

Oliver was visibly apologetic when carding Maddison but was following the rulebook. Applying any sort of discretion makes the rule fall into a dangerously grey area so it was the right choice.

All parties involved did the right thing in the situation, and Maddison's response highlights that. It's a complete non-issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You can quite see in all fairness to the referees that in situations like this, they’re reluctant to do so but have to. 

Actual reason being it’s a stipulation from sponsors, they want their brand to be on show when photographers are taking pictures of the players when they score.