Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cricket 2019

What time do you usually get to the ground for an Ashes test @MattP/anybody else?

Due to be heading to Edgbaston on Sunday (weather and game permitting) and trying to work out a reasonable time. Annoyingly trains from Leicester don't run that early on a Sunday so may have to go from Rugby if we're going to drink! Would 10/just after 10 be reasonable?

Guest MattP
19 hours ago, Izzy said:

They don't make umpires like Shep anymore. Legend

Steve Bucknor was my favourite, swear he was asleep at the crease and used to get woken up when the bowlers appealed. 

Guest MattP
10 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

What time do you usually get to the ground for an Ashes test @MattP/anybody else?

Due to be heading to Edgbaston on Sunday (weather and game permitting) and trying to work out a reasonable time. Annoyingly trains from Leicester don't run that early on a Sunday so may have to go from Rugby if we're going to drink! Would 10/just after 10 be reasonable?

Depends what venue.

Im staying on Broad St this weekend so usually go to a spoons about 730/8 for breakfast and a pint then get a taxi to the Edgbaston tap about 9.

Trent Bridge I just get train from Leicester as it's easy.

Edited by MattP

9 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

My Dad just had his confirmation e-mail from Edgbaston for Thursday. Gates open at 9am and he's getting there early as it'll be heaving. He's also going from Rugby then shutle bus from New Street to the ground.

I hope you get to see some cricket on Sunday. Got a feeling 20 wickets might have fallen by then!

• Thanks 1

Would absolutely love a last minute ticket for tomorrow or Friday if anyone has any “unfortunate” drop outs lol 

Wasn't expecting to be off when tickets came out but got a week off before starting a new job next week! 

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, AjcW said:

Would absolutely love a last minute ticket for tomorrow or Friday if anyone has any “unfortunate” drop outs lol 

Wasn't expecting to be off when tickets came out but got a week off before starting a new job next week! 

Do you live near?

There are always the odd ticket knocking about in the pubs or outside the ground if you go down unless it's a massive event like a WC final or the day we potentially win it.

Just now, MattP said:

Do you live near?

There are always the odd ticket knocking about in the pubs or outside the ground if you go down unless it's a massive event like a WC final or the day we potentially win it.

Yeah I’ve considered it. I’m in Nottingham so it would be a bit of a gamble. Will keep an eye out on Twitter and here for now and see tomorrow, might just rock up!

Woakes starts over Archer as expected then. Glad Root's shown some bollocks and gone 3. Had to really.

Weather permitting I think we'll win the opener. Looks like they're leaving Starc out for this one too. Cannot wait

1 hour ago, MattP said:

On what logic would Denly bat at four whilst Root and Roy bat above him?

Crazy. 

Literally think we may as well have stuck with Leach as a batter if they're going to potentially burn those two so Denly can come in not having to face the new ball.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Bairstow has to come in ahead of Buttler surely? Maybe even above Stokes?! 

If Bairstow's down there because they don't want him batting higher due to him keeping then we may as well sling Denly out, take the gloves off Bairstow, push him up to three and bring Foakes in.

Not really a vote of confidence in our top order to not have us reeling at Fvck All for Three every innings if he's down there.

If that's our top 4 of choice (which it definitely shouldn't be, by the way) then surely the order should be 

Burns

Denly

Roy

Root

That's what I'd go for anyway. Roy looks far more a swashbuckling 3 than a Test match opener, whilst Denly has fairly regularly opened for Kent down the years. No way Denly should play if he's batting at 4. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MattP said:

Steve Bucknor was my favourite, swear he was asleep at the crease and used to get woken up when the bowlers appealed. 

And then send everyone else to sleep taking 15 minutes to make his mind up.