Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Since Harvey Barnes came back, are you happy with how he’s played?

5 hours ago, weller54 said:

Agree.. 

He looks confused playing wide left.. But perhaps that's Chilwell's fault? 

It can't be Chilwells fault, it's just that Harvey doesn't know where to go when Chilwell is charging the line. He's trying to watch running offside. Then does he stay wide, go inside or run behind possibly taking Vardy's space. These are all challenges he's currently trying to deal with. I'm sure this is something BR will help him with.

In a midfield role he seems more comfortable where he go in different did or even shoot. Obviously Madison is playing in the midfield role. But I think a system could be developed with Harvey on the left and Madison on the right.

At the moment he's just trying to fit in, but it's all part of a young players education.

Think he's done okay, but looked like a player needing a goal or key moment to give him belief. If he's left side, he's either in Chilwell's way or he has to cut inside. Played better today wide right where if he beats the man he can put a finish in or a final ball. Would probably benefit from switching wings during the game, just to vary things

Think he was trying too hard to get his first goal but the lad does ooze quality at times on the ball the way he takes on defenders and actually look for who to pass too in a better scoring position unlike some players, but now he’s got his first goal hopefully that will spur him on to score many more for us !!

14 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

Delighted to see him get of the mark. I was impressed with how calm he was with the goal in front of him. He didn't panic and slotted it away nicely.

This is why Barnes will become an important part of the team. He has good decision making, puts a lot of effort in, has quality and can keep his cool. Despite many setbacks he’s kept going and kept making those runs. In his post match interviews he also comes across as well educated - his dad has done a great job with him. That goal will be the first of many.

If you compare him to Gray I think Barnes has worse physical attributes. He’s not as fast, as tall nor can hit it as hard. But he has the better awareness and decision making. I really hope Gray can learn some of this off Barnes because then he’d be one hell of a player! Barnes right now reminds me a bit of Sterling when he first started playing though I don’t think he will quite get to that level. 

Barnes areas of improvement are his positioning which is often bizarre and he also tends to go missing at times during matches, something the Baggies fans mentioned. Mind you a certain Algerian winger we had also used to go absent for large patches in games and he wasn’t half bad! And positioning can easily be taught. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

This is why Barnes will become an important part of the team. He has good decision making, puts a lot of effort in, has quality and can keep his cool. Despite many setbacks he’s kept going and kept making those runs. In his post match interviews he also comes across as well educated - his dad has done a great job with him. That goal will be the first of many.

If you compare him to Gray I think Barnes has worse physical attributes. He’s not as fast, as tall nor can hit it as hard. But he has the better awareness and decision making. I really hope Gray can learn some of this off Barnes because then he’d be one hell of a player! Barnes right now reminds me a bit of Sterling when he first started playing though I don’t think he will quite get to that level. 

Barnes areas of improvement are his positioning which is often bizarre and he also tends to go missing at times during matches, something the Baggies fans mentioned. Mind you a certain Algerian winger we had also used to go absent for large patches in games and he wasn’t half bad! And positioning can easily be taught. 

It's weird, but he reminds me a little of Harry Kane in some of his attributes.

1 hour ago, Beechey said:

It's weird, but he reminds me a little of Harry Kane in some of his attributes.

I can understand that. Kane is tall but hardly a beast physically like a Drogba. He’s also pretty slow, but he makes up for it with great ability and ice cold clinical finishing. Being blessed genetically is brilliant if you have it but one of the reasons why football is awesome is because people like Messi, Zola, Maradona can get to the top of the game. Sheffield Wednesday got rid of Vardy because he wasn’t physical enough! lol:whistle:

9 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Yes he'll do well for us. I still think his best position is inside where he has more options and doesn't have too long to think.. He also has a much better understanding of the game than Gray

.I also think he has more Goals in him than Gray.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I can understand that. Kane is tall but hardly a beast physically like a Drogba. He’s also pretty slow, but he makes up for it with great ability and ice cold clinical finishing. Being blessed genetically is brilliant if you have it but one of the reasons why football is awesome is because people like Messi, Zola, Maradona can get to the top of the game. Sheffield Wednesday got rid of Vardy because he wasn’t physical enough! lol:whistle:

Maradona was the most genetically gifted player of all time. He was a deeply flawed man with a foul attitude but he had the balance and dribbling ability of a demigod. Do you mean football is a game where you don’t need to be talk? 

Edited by Mr Weller

48 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

Maradona was the most genetically gifted player of all time. He was a deeply flawed man with a foul attitude but he had the balance and dribbling ability of a demigod. Do you mean football is a game where you don’t need to be talk? 

Maradona was 5 foot 5! Hardly genetically gifted compared to players like Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale who are both over 6 foot, insanely fast and strong. His genius of course was his incredible ability to dribble, though his passing and footballing intelligence were also massively underrated because he was fantastic at that too. Make no mistake he put in the hours to become a dribbling maestro, though I'll give you that ability like that has a large element of natural talent too, just like players like George Best, Garrincha and Leo Messi have.

Barnes I put more in the category of players we have in the league now such as Bernado, Kante, Bernard (Everton) and Vardy who prove that you can make it if you are good enough. Barnes is hardly weak or short, I'm just saying that if you compared him to other players he's not got as good genetics. For example Leroy Sane's parents were a former professional footballer and an Olympic gymnast respectively and as a result he is six foot tall, fast as lightning and has incredible balance and technical ability. Some people just win the genetics lottery like that!

He’s come so close for so long and will have felt the pressure as he knows eventually he’ll be judged on goals and assists alone. Really pleased for him and I hope he gets his confidence and starts to fly now he’s broken his (m’) duck.

Probably in the vast minority on this, but I think long-term his best position may be striker. He has the work rate and pace to where he could really thrive in a false 9 role.

Edited by Deeg67

34 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Probably in the vast minority on this, but I think long-term his best position may be striker. He has the work rate and pace to where he could really thrive in a false 9 role.

This has crossed my mind as well. I’ve often wondered if the only two real wide players we have are Albrighton and Ricardo. (When called upon.) There’s an argument that both Barnes and Gray are played out of position. (And under early Puel, Maddison was often stuck out wide too.) I remember Norwich fans saying don’t put Maddison out wide he’s wasted, West Brom fans saying the same about Barnes and England U23’s playing Gray through the middle rather than out wide... it would explain some of the crossing ability or lack of it but I thought some of Harvey’s balls in yesterday were really impressive.

• Like 1

Barnes was a central midfielder, his game has changed beyond recognition in the last 3 years. He has taken to being a winger/forward with fair ease. He has added strength, pace and movement to his game so it wouldn't be surprising to see him develop in to a central striker role. His movement would need to be a lot better though as that's the key thing, MOTD highlight Arnautovic's bizarre movement whilst playing up front and compare it to Vardy you can see why strikers continue to get goals but makeshift players don't. 

Barnes is a huge talent, he seems born to score goals whatever position he plays. It was interesting to see the success he seemed to get from playing wide right on Saturday, I always thought that was the position he was least effective as he isn't rapid but as he is a strong finisher it was more dangerous for him to cut in. I prefer Albrighton on the right but him and Barnes could alternate throughout the game and it will be good to see these final 3 games against better sides. We need one more winger at least in the summer, I was convinced it needed to be a left footed right winger but maybe not?

• Like 1