Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Since Harvey Barnes came back, are you happy with how he’s played?

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

There was a moment against Newcastle towards the end of the first half where Barnes was down right in front of me in miles of space waiting to counter and Chilwell had the ball near the corner. All he had to do was clip it up the line. 

He ended up cutting inside and ruining the move. 

Stupid. 

Too often. Barnes made a number of runs down the line didn’t get the ball from chilwell who rather tried to give it to his best bud all the time. Barnes gave up trying the runs, started coming inside, marked by 2/3 players then chilwell tries to give it him, flippin ridiculous 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weller54 said:

I'm not convinced he's ready to play week in, week out. 

With hindsight perhaps he should have stayed at WBA until the end of the season to develop further. 

Christ, if he hadn't come back that would have meant we'd have had to play Ghezzal or someone out of position every game since Albrighton was out injured. Imagine the uproar hahahahahaaa.

This has been a free hit for him to get up to speed with the PL and for Rodgers to work with him for a few months that otherwise he'd not have been able to do. He is outshining Demarai Gray and I think if anyone is proving they aren't capable of playing week in, week out it's Gray and where we need to recruit.

Barnes end product needs to improve, it was spot on in the Championship and he needs to hone his technique and settle down a bit and it'll come at this level. He has the ability, he is perfect for this style of football under Rodgers. I would be astounded if he doesn't have a very good career with us and i'm looking forward to watching him.

• Like 1

Given that Albrighton has been injured. Yes.

But in an ideal world he would have stayed with WBA and Albrighton would have stayed fit.

Think he would have won Championship POTY if he had stayed at WBA and that would have been excellent for his development. Think rushing him into PL football hasn't been ideal.

5 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Given that Albrighton has been injured. Yes.

But in an ideal world he would have stayed with WBA and Albrighton would have stayed fit.

Think he would have won Championship POTY if he had stayed at WBA and that would have been excellent for his development. Think rushing him into PL football hasn't been ideal.

In all honesty I think had he been left at WBA, it would've just been another thing people hit Puel with.

Regardless, I think this few months in the prem consistently have done him good. It's given him continual game time and even though he isn't scoring, it may have taught him more on what he needs to do to develop as a player more than another few months in the championship would've.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, FerrisBueller said:

Yes, I'd already put him ahead of Gray. He puts a shift in and beats his man, has put plenty of decent balls in to good areas (and nobody has attacked them).

His positioning is a bit suspect sometimes, against Newcastle he was obviously frustrating Chilwell by not getting wide and getting sucked in to the middle.

All in all though, a very tidy player who is only gonna get better.

Rodgers said in his post match interview that during his ht team talk he told the wingers to play more central, so I think Barnes could be forgiven for that. 

5 minutes ago, Hammo said:

In school report parlance:

The boy is very gifted and highly promising and if he listens and learns will go on to a very high level. In terms of his output this season - satisfactory, could do better.

Hey...how did you find my old school report....???     Locked away for years at New Parks,then scattered to the winds,when Hoolis wasted And trashed...  the best sec.mod,in the shire...:jump:

Barnes has definitely shown promise in games but I don’t think him and Chilwell really connect down the left side.. moves don’t really flow and Barnes at times doesn’t know which run to make.

He needs a goal for confidence purposes..would rate him 6.5/10 since back from WBA 

He's been very, very mediocre if we're honest.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying he's not got tons of potential, or that he won't kick on or that in a season we have nothing to play for we shouldn't be giving him this experience (I absolutely think he should be playing now we've got nothing to play for).

But his actual performances are being ridiculously overrated because he's a local kid. I think he's struggled to make the step up from the Championship in all honesty and I doubt he'll be a starter next season based on his performances.

Stuff like he's given more than Gray ever has etc. is just a straight out lie.

I do tend to think he's still a long way from being ready for being a PL starter every week next season and he probably would've benefited from the rest of the season in the Championship and he'd need to go up a gear or two to be more than just a substitute with potential next season and keep a regular starting place.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

No. But I'm more than happy to give him the benefit of doubt, and hope he blossoms next season. Shown signs of promise and registered a few assists already. 

His lack of goals and questionable decision making are the biggest bugbears at the moment but with a proper pre season with us behind his belt, I'm sure he'll do fine

Edited by TK95

8 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

In a perfect world Barnes would be getting cameos and the odd start finding his feet. Due to injury and poor options the lad has done his best. 

Tbh, i think this has been a great scenario for him. He's come in and played basically consistently, with almost not a huge risk of being replaced due to injuries. In a season where it was basically consolidate our position, he's been given a chance to learn the pace of the league and his position in the side in almost a pressure-reduced environment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr The Singh said:

So far so ok, work in progress, he could turn out to be an excellent addition, if he can add goals to his game

Basically exactly this, which isn't surprising considering this is a new league for him (in terms of first team football), he's only been back half a season and he's already on his second manager.

• Like 1

Harvey Barnes... Demarai Gray...

Harvey Barnes... Demarai Gray...

I know who I'd pick. Barnes hands-down.

That being said, a little more composure in that final third and he will come good for sure. We all know he will. Has a great attitude and has all the attributes to become a real asset to the club, just needs a little fine-tuning. His assist for Vardy against Fulham is an example of what he us capable of.

Too often in the wrong position and takes up ineffective space and positions when we are attacking, he needs this time on the pitch for the experience and during the summer I’m sure they will sort out his runs, his movements and his positional awareness and he will be cracking next season. He’s been 6/10 so far but I can see him being a sensation next season.

12 hours ago, KFS said:

What harm has it done? Miles better than Ghezzal and a longer term option compared to Albrighton. Think of it the other way, how does our squad look with him still at WBA?

Maddison left wing and Tielemans in CAM is the answer with much more Ghezzal game time. No thanks.

It's not about our squad it's one young players development. He would have come back with a few more MOTM awards. Also more goals and assists then had time to build a relationship with chilly in the summer. 

The problem is we put to much pressure on players and the club. Fans just want it now. It took SAF three yrs at man u to build his team. Managers now get 12 months at best. 

It's all so wrong. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sylofox said:

It's not about our squad it's one young players development. He would have come back with a few more MOTM awards. Also more goals and assists then had time to build a relationship with chilly in the summer. 

The problem is we put to much pressure on players and the club. Fans just want it now. It took SAF three yrs at man u to build his team. Managers now get 12 months at best. 

It's all so wrong. 

Not sure I agree, he would have been under much more pressure at WBA chasing the Premier League with people’s jobs on the line, fan expectations etc. Our fans can’t even agree if we we’re bothered going after Europe or not, this is his pre-season bedding in period ahead of next year. Virtually everyone in this thread is saying how happy they are with his contributions, just want to see him score a goal which will come.

No use keeping these lads down in the Championship if we know they can perform there. It’s ok if we’re planning on being a Championship club again, but we’re not. Train people in an arena we want to ready them for.

Good decision IMO.

12 hours ago, Clarkey123 said:

I get the impression chilwell is a bit of the bully boy with Barnes and gives him a bit of stick thinking he’s billy big b**ocks now he’s got a few England caps. Once Barnes gets a couple of goals I think he’ll be flying 

I get the same impression - Chilwell has been here for a minute so he knows the what fors and why ises so if Barnes makes a run and it's missed, it's Barnes fault and if Chilwell turns it over, it's Barnes fault. This is something coaching can smooth out. 

6 hours ago, Sampson said:

He's been very, very mediocre if we're honest.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying he's not got tons of potential, or that he won't kick on or that in a season we have nothing to play for we shouldn't be giving him this experience (I absolutely think he should be playing now we've got nothing to play for).

But his actual performances are being ridiculously overrated because he's a local kid. I think he's struggled to make the step up from the Championship in all honesty and I doubt he'll be a starter next season based on his performances.

Stuff like he's given more than Gray ever has etc. is just a straight out lie.

I do tend to think he's still a long way from being ready for being a PL starter every week next season and he probably would've benefited from the rest of the season in the Championship and he'd need to go up a gear or two to be more than just a substitute with potential next season and keep a regular starting place.

He's been our best winger since he's returned - I'm not sure what sport you've been watching let alone which team. 

• Like 1