Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Since Harvey Barnes came back, are you happy with how he’s played?

Quite impressed with him. I am somewhat concerned the "shoot on sight confidence" he exhibited when he first returned from loan seems to have stalled. I would like to see him try some shots to the near post as he has become very predictable in trying the right inside foot curler to the far right hand corner. Coaches should be pointing out that at this level, scouting report would make his opponents aware of this tendancy. he is the real deal.

5 hours ago, knitro said:

He's been our best winger since he's returned - I'm not sure what sport you've been watching let alone which team. 

And this is exactly my point.

Gray has been in poor form and Albrighton has been injured so saying he's been our best winger with some bizarre ad hominem attack is not saying much and that's exactly the problem.

Anyone saying be hasn't played particularly well and that he doesn't look ready to be a regular starter for a top half PL side and that if we're going to rely on him being a starter next season whem it actually matters then we'll probably have a big problem - just gets ad hominem attacks and shot down.

But I don't think he's played particularly well and there's been nothing in his performances for me to suggest he's anywhere near ready to be a regular starter for a top half PL side yet. 

Edited by Sampson

He’s not had the effect on games some people seem to think he has or as much as himself would like I don’t think. Off the top of my head he’s had that deflected shot that went in at Wolves and the assist for Vardy against Fulham. 

The promise is there, but he just wants too much time on the ball and at the minute he just drifts out of games that bit too much and his inexperience is showing.

These few months will have done him good, the experience and learning curve will be huge for him leading into next season. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bert said:

He’s not had the effect on games some people seem to think he has or as much as himself would like I don’t think. Off the top of my head he’s had that deflected shot that went in at Wolves and the assist for Vardy against Fulham. 

The promise is there, but he just wants too much time on the ball and at the minute he just drifts out of games that bit too much and his inexperience is showing.

These few months will have done him good, the experience and learning curve will be huge for him leading into next season. 

Yeah you're probably right, but lets not forget, it's a big step from the Championship to the EPL.

3 hours ago, Farrington fox said:

Yeah you're probably right, but lets not forget, it's a big step from the Championship to the EPL.

That’s fair enough after 2 games, but not after 3 months of playing in the prem

Personally I'm more than happy with him. What do people reasonably expect from a lad his age whose half plus season at a Championship club was a big step up for him then let alone an even biigrr leap into the Premiership!  There's also a huge obsession and emphasis on goals and assists, the latter only being half a story and originally an Americanism. They now also talk in semi assists which makes some sense i.e. if Tielemans was to make a Hollywood 40 yard pass and Gray was to make any easy 2 yard pass to Vardy to score, who would be credited with the assist and who, if the same thing happened 10 times in a row would be the real talent? It's about overall game and contributions all over the putch and for me Barnes has given the much higher level, more experienced defensive players, compared to him, plenty to consider and worry about most weeks. His energy, enthusiasm and effect at this level, at this moment in time, with his level of experience  has been very good. Can't remember the pundit ex professionals name that I heard recently on the radio comment similar,  stating that at this stage, it's his reading of the game and getting into scoring opportunistic positions that counts most,  not goals as these will come in time with more experience. He then cited Thierry Henri as a prime example of a very young winger who initially could hit the preverbial barn door but turned out none too bad in the end. He's an absolute baby in Premiership terms and if anyone expects much better of him at the moment, for me they're being a little bit deluded and unrealistic. To get much better and a finished article you would have to pay multimillions and there are more priority positions. The same goes for Maddison, Chilwell, Soyuncu, Benkovic and several others. The money isn't there to buy ready mades and those wouldn't want to come to us anyway. We're very lucky to have Barnes and some of the others, just don't expect too much too soon. It's unreasonable and puts unreasonable pressure on them . Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, knitro said:

Well, I'd say the following - you can take what I said personally or not - but harping on the performance of a player who's stepping up to a new level and yet still performing best out of all of our wingers (Since his arrival his average whoscored rating is 6.71 to Gray's 6.52 and Ghezzals 6.36 as just one measure) seems misguided and a bit mean-spirited - there's bigger fish to fry. We won't be bringing in two new starters on this wing this summer and maligning Barne's performance is missing the forest for the trees. He's experiencing growing pains which everyone said they'd be willing to accept this season as part his development, yet still outperforming his peers. If anyone should worry about their spot for next season, it's the rest of them. Harvey's established himself as a first teamer and I expect him to be starting next season. 

*Sigh*

Yet again, you didn't read my original post and just jumped on my reply post.

Yet again, this kind of thing is *exactly* my point..

...I even specifically said in my post - it doesn't mean he doesn't have great potential, he won't be a great player or he shouldn't be in the side.

I think he's a player with a bright future, but if you make any even slight concern that we shouldn't be over reliant on him you get shot down completely.

Why is it misguided or mis-spirited? I'm not calling him shit or poor. I said he's got plenty of potential but his actual performances have been very mediocre and wildly overrated by many fans. - you can see plenty of that just in this thread - calling him a breath of fresh air, better than anything Gray has ever done for us etc. - That's just either outright lying or massively overrating the very minimal impact he's had so far.

Why does it matter if we bring in 2 wingers or not? Albrighton is back from injury and one signing on the wing or Gray hitting some form and Barnes could easily not even be making the bench. I don't believe Barnes has outperformed Albrighton - and Gray has been one of our most our underperforming players this season so I'm not sure why that's the only comparison you can make?

I don't think he's a year away from development of Chilwell or Maddison for example as another comparison, despite only being a year younger. Yet people happily criticise Chilwell or Maddison regularly on here, but Barnes seems bizarrely untouchable.

Harping on the performance of one player or another? What are you talking about? It was a thread asking a direct question about what we've thought of Barnes' performances, I answered it, just as everyone else did. I've criticised Gray in a thread directly about him plenty as well, but that had nothing to do with the very direct and specific question asked.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

He definitely is much improved than before the loan and shows some good skills, however he isnt consistent and has poor decision making, but he is young and that is how it is with very young players.

I feel we may have done better to let him finish the season with WBA, But either way I expect he will be a better player next season.

does a lot of things well , but his final ball and decision making still leave a lot to question where he will finish up. but for me what stands out the most and every one should watch for it next game, is when he is in the front line and players are running towards him, he remains static, he does not look to move into space, iam sure this will come but he really gives the ball carrier no options to play him into space.

7 hours ago, trabuch said:

Why is everyone expecting him to score goals? He appears to be a decent crosser (better than Chilwell). Rodgers has him very wide. FT shouldn't expect goals too soon.

That's part of his problem. He is being uwide wide but doesn't know what to do at times. Particularly when Chilwell comes up the line then Barnes gets a little stuck.

i think his best position is more an attacking midfieldDr where he has more options.

Then I think he will shine were his pace will become an asset coupled with his shooting ability.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

That's part of his problem. He is being uwide wide but doesn't know what to do at times. Particularly when Chilwell comes up the line then Barnes gets a little stuck.

i think his best position is more an attacking midfieldDr where he has more options.

Then I think he will shine were his pace will become an asset coupled with his shooting ability.

Agree.. 

He looks confused playing wide left.. But perhaps that's Chilwell's fault? 

We have managed 4 pages of debate on this topic…

beggars belief really…!!!

He’s clearly adapting nicely and has all the attributes to do really very well…

i’m bloomin’ glad he’s ours and the fact he’s started all but one match since his return suggests that his two different managers seem to think he’s ok too…

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

We have managed 4 pages of debate on this topic…

beggars belief really…!!!

Mate, we can have ten pages of debate over what Jamie Vardy had for breakfast.

We'll be debating Pearson, Mahrez and god knows who else until the sun dies out.

Edited by KingsX