Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

A mixed feeling in our house today, buzzing that it's back but the Mrs lost her dad in April. As Sheffield United fans they have had season tickets together for the past 15 or so years. It hit home to me when she told me she was dreading it, not watching it with him, not being able to talk to him about it, it was great to see what it meant to them to be able to witness what they had this season, like how my dad and I got to share the 15/16 season together. I really hope they finish the season strong.

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

I can imagine a number of agents are rubbing their hands at situations like this. It gives them all the power. 

"If you want me to play for those 2/3 extra weeks then it'll cost you".

Clubs will be in a tough spot. Do they shell out just to keep the player for a couple of weeks, in the hope that they contribute and help them stay up/ improve their league position or do they save the money and risk not being able to use them?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53075677

Interesting situation caused by this season extension. I presume this is brinkmanship to get a bump in wages for the last nine games? Unless he's eligible for a pre-contract elsewhere I wonder what the point of this is as you can't be registered for a different club this season surely? 

Edited by Zear0
Saw it mentioned above but I'll leave the link.

45 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Interesting situation caused by this season extension. I presume this is brinkmanship to get a bump in wages for the last nine games? Unless he's eligible for a pre-contract elsewhere I wonder what the point of this is as you can't be registered for a different club this season surely? 

It will be interesting to see if we have this problem with Papy Mendy. Fuchs I think will agree to an initial short term deal (I don't think he'll sign for 2020/21 though). Mendy though has had a number of medium to long term injuries in recent years and there's a chance he doesn't feature that much in these remaining 9 games all being well with Ndidi, therefore will he risk there being no guarantee of much football but still a chance of injury for picking up the money, or sign a pre-contract with a French side who aren't playing again until August/September. The annoyance for us is, he is the perfect back up player for us and if anything happens to Ndidi we need him.

53 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It will be interesting to see if we have this problem with Papy Mendy. Fuchs I think will agree to an initial short term deal (I don't think he'll sign for 2020/21 though). Mendy though has had a number of medium to long term injuries in recent years and there's a chance he doesn't feature that much in these remaining 9 games all being well with Ndidi, therefore will he risk there being no guarantee of much football but still a chance of injury for picking up the money, or sign a pre-contract with a French side who aren't playing again until August/September. The annoyance for us is, he is the perfect back up player for us and if anything happens to Ndidi we need him.

Be difficult to begrudge Papy a move away ASAP tbh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zear0 said:

Fraser won't want to sign a two month extension and get a long term injury so I can see his reasoning.

However it's a shitty trick to the club that you have been at for seven years bailing out at the business end of the season in a relegation battle.

If I was him I'd have signed a two month extension with an option for him to sign for an extra two years just in case of injury.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Fraser won't want to sign a two month extension and get a long term injury so I can see his reasoning.

However it's a shitty trick to the club that you have been at for seven years bailing out at the business end of the season in a relegation battle.

If I was him I'd have signed a two month extension with an option for him to sign for an extra two years just in case of injury.

If they really wanted him to play, surely the could negotiate a 2 month deal with an option to extend (2 years maybe) should Fraser trigger it. There are ways around this but clubs will want to look after themselves just as the players do. High risk low reward for the players isn’t it.

Our lads probably know if they extended and did get injured that they’d be looked after by the club. 

It's a bit shitty, but can understand why players like Fraser might not want to sign a short term extension. If they were to get seriously injured and then released in a months time, what do they do then? Its a difficult situation which is no-ones fault. Not great PR for players who don't sign though.

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Nice. 

Much prefer the NHS appreciation one, as it's much less po

Might be an unpopular opinion, but:

Much prefer the first NHS appreciation one, as it's much less political.

Using the 'Kick It Out' football against racism campaign would've been more fitting, rather than a political campaign message (which it seems to be) on the second shirt image message.

• Like 3