Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

16 hours ago, Stadt said:

Football is different for everyone though, 5 years ago I would have watched every game I could but now I’m not so fussed about watching Villarreal vs Leganes or whatever. I’m a little bit less of a fan of the sport in general now.

I’d love it if we won the league a few more times and were a serious CL contender but I’d want to feel a bit more organic than how Man City have done it - which in fairness we have done so far.

I like where we are at the minute, we have a young, talented squad, some local lads, it’s not horribly expensively assembles, club legends around the team; however it feels like it could go tits up still and I think that’s exciting in itself. What’s a bad season for Man City now, finishing 2nd and winning the league cup? I don’t really want that for us which sounds daft but the consequences of sport are a large part of it, Man City don’t really face any danger like that, there’s no living on the edge. We’re still only a couple of degrees of separation from relegation which means everything we do has to be measured even now.

Obviously I want us to be as successful as possible but I don’t to sell our soul for it. Moreover, if that success became a tiny bit sterile like it has for Man City I don’t think I could be that arsed about going. 

This is it. How good is it to be able to watch them (and look forward to watching them) and seeing them as our team. I know they aren’t LCFC fans but they do genuinely seem a tight nit group who play for each other, the manager, Top and the fans. 

Every point we get feels either hard earned or a joy to watch. Nothing is a formality (except Newcastle it seems :P). Even when we beat teams like West Ham, it’s a relief and another step in the right direction. It feels like we’re all on a journey together, moving onwards and upwards... but we all know too well that it could change. 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

They still had a penchant for failing to beat the dross but who knows how this restart will effect teams, I must admit i'm not overly confident we will be very good. We have to hit the ground running as our final few games make for uncomfortable viewing.

When I say that - I mean they play lots of middle fish - ideal opponents like we have early on. The likes of Everton, Palace and Soton you'd think can't be ****ed for this season carrying on. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Will be interesting to see if there is a home advantage once we see the first couple rounds of results come through.

I don't know if it's changed but after some thirty odd games of the Bundesliga restart it was more or less bang on 50/50, I think I watched Werder lose to Frankfurt in Bremen which tipped it a percent or two towards away wins but not by much. 

Actually starting to get a little excited now. Anticipation, nervous yes, that little niggling sensation that tells me it could all go horribly wrong, yet at the same time optimism that the lads will be OK, raring to go and turn on the style. Feels like the start of the season where we have no idea of how it might pan out;  Relegation worries? mid table comfort? challenging for europe? or maybe a cup run?  Who will be our steady eddies? our star performers? surprise packages? Will we be in heaven or hell? in Ecstasy or down in the doldrums?

That is the roller coaster of being a foxes fan, but this time all condensed into just a few weeks!

Referring to some of the posts above, that is something that the likes of Man city fans don't have any more. Ok so you can admire the the skills of KDB, Sterling  et al, but it is the uncertainty that makes for excitement.  That gut wrenching feeling when you are hanging on to a hard fought draw or slender lead with the clock ticking down during injury time, or the hope that we might just nick it at the end. And when it does all come together every now and then, revelling in the fact we have just watched our boys tear someone apart.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

How will this prolonged season impact on next season? Will the games be crammed in more or will next season be extended, or what?

I imagine League Cup may get sacrificed for at least those clubs in Europe. That should happen anyway regardless of pandemic etc. 

There's talk of CL next season beginning in October. So they'll have to fit in all the games before May next year in time for enough of a gap for Euros to start. Maybe they'll do one-legged knockouts like they've planned for to finish this season. 

I think there'll be more midweek games next season and perhaps changes to how the FA Cup is played - no replays, straight to penalties in all rounds. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Or us and Man Utd judging by this graphic. 

Villa and Bournemouth on the other hand :nigel:

20200616_115734.thumb.jpg.ea695db8860dd704c51216db51ee02ed.jpg

First 2 games are massive for us. Anything less than 4 points and we'll be touch and go for 4th imo.

• Like 3

Guest An Sionnach

Give it up for Marcus Rashford , a mixed race kid from a modest background who shows up our idiot politicians for the clowns they are, now come and play for Leicester Marcus.👏👏

4 hours ago, snoopy87 said:

No matter how well we are doing, have done, will do, I think I will always have this feeling of dread in the back of my mind. I can't explain why whenever anybody asks. I can only put it down to the years of torment that has preceded this current purple patch, its scarred me for life! 

4 hours ago, davieG said:

I'm like this on a game by game basis I'm never ever confident we will win a game. Maybe, despite the patches of success and single game surprises it's because I've been let down so many times that I can't find it in me to ever be optimistic. It's a rare and good day fro me when I think we might snatch a draw.

Yet I continue to go in the hope that we will win.

I'm struggling to see us get a win at a Pearson led Watford.

Exactly this. I can't get anyonw who isn't a City fan to comprehend this.  No matter how well we're doing I can't truly be optimistic, whenever I consider a bit of opttimism, like early this season we then get battered i.e. Liverpool Boxing Day or we lose a ridiculous game i.e. Villa in the Cup. And boom, back to pessimism.

I always hope, desperately hope but If I'm expecting the worst I can be pleasantly surprised.

42 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Give it up for Marcus Rashford , a mixed race kid from a modest background who shows up our idiot politicians for the clowns they are, now come and play for Leicester Marcus.👏👏

It's great! But so frustrating for others who have no doubt been highlighting to the government for years the pressures free-school meal families face over each and every summer, only to be ignored. 

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion but why do these parents need their kids feeding in the summer? Have their benefits gone down because of the virus? It's not like they've lost their jobs as most of them wont even have jobs. Presumably next summer they wont get the free dinners. 

Ive got a few "council estate" crowd on my facebook and all of them seem that these people dont even need it and that if they werent wasting money on fags and cheap alcohol they wouldnt be struggling to feed their kids. Obviously there is a counter argument to that in which should kids suffer because of their parents being shit and the answer is probably not. Still a little food for thought. 

20 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Exactly this. I can't get anyonw who isn't a City fan to comprehend this.  No matter how well we're doing I can't truly be optimistic, whenever I consider a bit of opttimism, like early this season we then get battered i.e. Liverpool Boxing Day or we lose a ridiculous game i.e. Villa in the Cup. And boom, back to pessimism.

I always hope, desperately hope but If I'm expecting the worst I can be pleasantly surprised.

That's why, despite reassurances, I was still expecting the worse right up until Clattenburg blew the final whistle on 2nd May 2016.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

This feels like rocky ground, and its important to not be sold by outliers advertised as tabloid exclusives. I have no doubt there are those people who put themselves before their children (Top tip, keep it in your pants), but on the whole, I imagine most people who benefit would be in need.

No doubt but then why only this summer? What about next summer? What about Christmas, Easter, half terms? 

Suppose its better than nothing but i feel those other questions will soon get asked now. 

Dont get me wrong i think its better that they get it than they dont but certainly leads some more questions. 

10 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Unpopular opinion but why do these parents need their kids feeding in the summer? Have their benefits gone down because of the virus? It's not like they've lost their jobs as most of them wont even have jobs. Presumably next summer they wont get the free dinners. 

Ive got a few "council estate" crowd on my facebook and all of them seem that these people dont even need it and that if they werent wasting money on fags and cheap alcohol they wouldnt be struggling to feed their kids. Obviously there is a counter argument to that in which should kids suffer because of their parents being shit and the answer is probably not. Still a little food for thought. 

It's about breaking cycles of deprivation. It's well documented that some kids unfortunately go without adequate food over the school holidays. They will be giving out food vouchers rather than cash, so in theory it won't be abused. 

5 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Wolves got the best run-in of the lot. 

We've got a good run-in but not the best, according to the average position of our opponents. 

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

They still had a penchant for failing to beat the dross but who knows how this restart will effect teams, I must admit i'm not overly confident we will be very good. We have to hit the ground running as our final few games make for uncomfortable viewing.

That was true last season but not this. The majority of our points have come from beating teams in the bottom half.

Wins against Watford, Villa, Bournemouth, West Ham, Southampton, Norwich (twice). Draws against Palace, Newcastle, Southampton, Brighton (twice), and Leicester (well you were alphabetically bottom half on the opening day! :P

Edited by The Bear
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Just to say we are viewing Sheff U and Spurs at the end of the season as big games. There is equal chance their seasons are done by then. Positions will change. 

Spurs possibly but sheff u will surely still be chasing Europe when we play them ??