Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

1 minute ago, Unabomber said:

How can you tell me that I can’t disagree with you? Wow 

Because you're arguing for the sakes of it on the wind up because you're bored and because I'm not stating a subjective opinion but marks for effort anyway. 

1 minute ago, Aus Fox said:

Sorry cannot agree that’s offside. He gets no advantage from his should being there, that’s not the part of his body he scored with. Look where his feet are! Shocking decision 

See this is where we differ, I think it's offside, but I admit I don't want offside being called for stuff like that. Unfortunately though, by the book, it's offside and VAR is going to pump out decisions like this all season.

• Like 1

You can't start arbitrarily deciding that he's not offside enough to be given offside because it's really close, can you? How far is far enough offside then? It's nothing to do with how you interpret the law, he just is offside, it's a fact. 

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

The first thing most of us do when we score a goal we know was borderline is look at the linesman, right? How is this going to be any different? 

I sympathise with your point because I do know what you mean but at the end of the day, getting the correct decision is and should be the most important thing. 

Lets just say it is going to take some getting used too.

On a side note, I have always been pro VAR but i still stand by my point that its going to do my head in this year. 

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Because you're arguing for the sakes of it on the wind up because you're bored and because I'm not stating a subjective opinion but marks for effort anyway. 

You just said we weren’t arguing. Make your mind up, and for the record I’m not on the wind up I don’t think VAR should have ruled that out.

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

I think you’ll find the i was in fact a 1 so technically it’s,  ‘No Red’  ...      :thumbup:

But there was clear and obvious attempt to offed so....

You could make an argument that all offside decisions always fall under clear and obvious error. It doesn't specify clear and obvious to the human eye. You have a state that is binary, either on or offside, and a computer capable of analysing the positions of the players with total accuracy. 1mm offside is a small margin but under those conditions it is clear and indisputable. Sure a human might not have seen if but now they've switched on this tech we have the ability to be that certain about it. Wilfully ignoring the results seems mad. Do we really want to get into situations where we know somebody was offside but we'll give it anyway just for old times sake? I think being on the receiving end of that would irritate me more than missing out on a goal like Man City did today. 

6 minutes ago, Master Fox said:

We can safely say that Norwich and West Ham are going to be finishing below us. 

Hope your are correct but may hold that comment until we have played both Liverpool and ManC?

• Like 1

I have no issue with VAR ruling that out, I just don't think every single thing needs checking. Should be used like tennis. After that goal Creswell or Pellegrini should have the option to have it reviewed (and they have a limit each game). If they choose not to and it should have been chalked off, tough. If they choose to and they are right they keep their challenge, if their wrong the lose it. Simple implementation, put emphasis on the coach or captain, and doesn't mean every single marginal goal is checked and ruled out because someone nose hair is offside.

• Like 2

I definitely sympathise with the idea that VAR might make things disjointed, and that it should only be used for clear and obvious errors and not this marginal offside call, but what IS a clear and obvious error? Who gets to define that?

Just from people here you can clearly see we can't agree on whether someone being in any state of offside is a clear and obvious error. I'm personally of the opinion that it should have been called offside, mainly because to me a player is either on or offside, and so there's a right call and a wrong call - I'd always prefer it to be the right call.

But I do understand disagreements with it - the way it's been phrased to work just makes it difficult to enforce consistently.