Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

Liverpool look really good for what was their first game of the season. People having a go at them for not signing many players but really its continuity and recognising when you need to strengthen that is the hallmark of a great team.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

You said you'd switched over to the game and thought the Monaco midfield was poor, just saying that they've had their best midfielder sent off.

The way you wrote your first post made it look like you hadn't realised.

Oh no, sorry. I should say, just generally looking round the quality of their squad both last year and this, they're so bereft of midfielders it's insane they'd ever want to get rid of YT. 

Even Fabregas tbh. I mean, peak Fabregas was obviously unreal but his decline has been so severe last couple years. 2019 Fabregas wouldn't get in our 11. 

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Oh no, sorry. I should say, just generally looking round the quality of their squad both last year and this, they're so bereft of midfielders it's insane they'd ever want to get rid of YT. 

Even Fabregas tbh. I mean, peak Fabregas was obviously unreal but his decline has been so severe last couple years. 2019 Fabregas wouldn't get in our 11. 

How about we loan them James and King? :D

Win-win situation.

• Haha 1

Bit biased as have lived over here for so long but really think Pukki will be the difference for Norwich, out of the game pretty regurlarly yet from nowhere will probably end up on 15-18 for the season

Edited by EastAnglianFox

3 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

So, what we learned tonight. 

Come the end of the season, Liverpool will be very near the top and Norwich will be near the bottom. 

If we play a 4-3-3 in the same style as Liverpool on paper are we really that far off them?

Fair play to Norwich for going there and giving it a go though. If they can create that many chances at Anfield then they should have no problem going to any of the bottom sides and doing the same.

lmao norwich were fu cking garbage. genuinely don’t think i’ve seen a worse defensive performance in the top league in my lifetime. they could’ve lost 15-1 if liverpool hadn’t started taking the piss and stopped trying after about 15 minutes. 

I really don't think that game taught us anything. Liverpool we all know about - Norwich were predictable as well, they play some really nice football going forwards but they're a shambles at the back. Another non-contest, pretty shite to open the season with a game that was over within the 20th minute which literally anybody could've told you would happen. Man Utd v Chelsea would've been better.

I have Norwich 17th and haven't changed my mind. I do think they'll score enough to stay up but they will concede a shit load on that showing.

Edited by Dan LCFC

Yeah to be fair played some nice football in patches, have to remember its the PL opener, against Liverpool, at Anfield. Theyll try and get some perspective and not let this rock their confidence I imagine. 

1 hour ago, Raw Dykes said:

I think Norwich are a mini-Arsenal. Very top-heavy. Easy-on-the-eye attacking football, but a car crash at the back. Will be interesting to see if they can survive by outscoring the teams around them.

They need to up their ante at home in particular, otherwise, away games will generally end up in tears based on that performance.

By no means an indication of where Norwich will be going until the end of the season, Liverpool were simply too good and too effective.

10 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

They need to up their ante at home in particular, otherwise, away games will generally end up in tears based on that performance.

By no means an indication of where Norwich will be going until the end of the season, Liverpool were simply too good and too effective.

Liverpool were okay, they were in second gear and they swept aside Norwich in the first half second half was even contest but the damage was done in the first half. Norwich haven’t invested in their side and you can tell they are going straight back down. They do have one or two good players and a couple of young talent that can make the step up but their team is pretty average and I can’t see them staying up.

Norwich were a frightened poor team in the first half.

They then beat Liverpool in the second.

I wasn't really impressed with either team.

Norwich looked pretty good in attack, they have some skill players and Pukki pies looks a really nice attacker but their defence was the worst I've seen in years in the prem. I'm hoping it was just first match nerves - and I think it was - but you don't stay up with a defence that bad. I wish we were playing them next weekend.

Liverpool looked good but defensively they looked below average - again it's probably because it's the first game of the season but performaces like that won't see them within 20 points of Mancity at the end of the season. I imagine we'll probably look pretty similar with a wonderful attacking performance and a less stunning defensive one.

Norwich did ok in parts but playing against sides like Burnley, Newcastle etc is a completely different game. There is pressure on those matches to pick up points, the opponents set up in a different way etc. We saw it in our first season after promotion- a very encouraging, almost excellent, start after five games then it fell apart in matches we were supposed to get the points from.

They shouldn't be too downhearted but shouldn't just assume either that the goals and points will flow against lesser opposition as the commentators seemed to allude to.

Also, "sign on", along with "feed the Scousers", have to be a couple of the worst, small-time chants in the game.

• Like 2