Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

5 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Been told that on 5Live they've been saying VAR worked just as they had hoped it would?? Surely anyone who understands/loves football knows that VAR in it's current form is horrific

I agree and hate it,so far ive yet to see a ref go look at a replay and stick with his decision.

Edited by womp

2 minutes ago, womp said:

I agree and hate it,so far ive yet to see a ref go look at a replay and stick with his decision.

Which would take more time and give you something more to moan about?

Surely VAR works well if a referee doesn't have to look at a replay?

Is it just me that thinks VAR worked well more often than not in the last 2 games? Majority of goals checked quickly, especially yesterday. 

Checked the penalty decision fairly swiftly today. I don't agree that VAR needs to check encroachment as we could be there for ages with retakes but for the most part, it did its job?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Been told that on 5Live they've been saying VAR worked just as they had hoped it would?? Surely anyone who understands/loves football knows that VAR in it's current form is horrific

Completely agree, people within football want everything to be so precise but to the average supporter the beauty of football is that's it fast and flowing and I don't thing you will be able to celebrate a goal until it stands now

• Like 1

VAR will have its teething problems, it can only get better surely, because it can't get any worse??

The main problem at the moment is everyone talking about it, give it a while and hopefully itll all die down.

My biggest issue was in the last nights game, twice the lino raised his flag for offside against Norwich and twice he was wrong. If Norwich had gone on to score in both occasions the goals would have been correctly given, but with the lino raising his flag it could have had an affect on the liverpool defence. Haven't seen today's game so don't know what's happened in it really other than what I've read, but the linos have to get get used to not flagging in certain situations and leaving the play to run.

There's plenty to iron out with VAR and like I said hopefully it'll get better,  because like it or not, it's here to stay

Right, I’ve just about calmed down now! Feck knows what I’ll be like when VAR is first used in a game I care about.

Moving on, which game does everyone think will be the best of the 3 o’clock kick offs?

Thinking about watching Palace Everton 

9 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Can you justify this?

An exaggeration but surely any football fans love the flow and sheer joy of moments like goals. With VAR checking everything you lose that, even watching Sterling's goals today I got the 'well this is getting checked' feeling.

Until it is instantaneous its no good for match going fans - goal line technology is superb. Wait until a similar offside technology is created, until then don't ruin experiences by having a system basically being trialled

Does anyone know if there are any detailed explanations of how var is actually working? I'd be interested in seeing how much much machine learning and tech stuff is actually in there or if it's just a bloke looking at the slo motion footage and drawing those lines themselves.

1 minute ago, Aus Fox said:

Right, I’ve just about calmed down now! Feck knows what I’ll be like when VAR is first used in a game I care about.

Moving on, which game does everyone think will be the best of the 3 o’clock kick offs?

Thinking about watching Palace Everton 

Might watch Sheffield.. first game up , so exciting for their fans

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Which would take more time and give you something more to moan about?

Surely VAR works well if a referee doesn't have to look at a replay?

Is it just me that thinks VAR worked well more often than not in the last 2 games? Majority of goals checked quickly, especially yesterday. 

Checked the penalty decision fairly swiftly today. I don't agree that VAR needs to check encroachment as we could be there for ages with retakes but for the most part, it did its job?

im talking more about prior PL use and its supposed to fix obvious errors not his armpit is mm offside.

what will fans do?wait to celebrate ?

absolutely ridiculous!!

• Like 1

Just now, womp said:

im talking more about prior PL use and its supposed to fix obvious errors not his armpit is mm offside.

what will fans do?wait to celebrate ?

absolutely ridiculous!!

I've not seen any fans wait to celebrate to be honest.

They celebrate in the moment, probably not realising VAR is there. Then there's the short lull. Then the post-VAR reaction.

6 minutes ago, what? said:

Does anyone know if there are any detailed explanations of how var is actually working? I'd be interested in seeing how much much machine learning and tech stuff is actually in there or if it's just a bloke looking at the slo motion footage and drawing those lines themselves.

I'd be surprised if machine learning was being used much - I don't think the cameras being used are high enough resolution to get particularly reliable data points.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I've not seen any fans wait to celebrate to be honest.

They celebrate in the moment, probably not realising VAR is there. Then there's the short lull. Then the post-VAR reaction.

im not against using it but some of the decisions are mind boggling.

1 minute ago, Beechey said:

I'd be surprised if machine learning was being used much - I don't think the cameras being used are high enough resolution to get particularly reliable data points.

I hope machine learning isn't being used not just with var but with team's tactics and decisions. I'd ban it. The day that mechanical perfection outshines the entertainment of human brilliance and failures will be the end of the game as entertainment.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Man City and Liverpool are going to wee all over the league again.

They're absolutely miles ahead of anyone else.

i thought liverpool were pretty ordinary yesterday? any competent side would definitely have got something from the game. norwich were just mind bogglingly atrocious.