Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

The disparaging of American Football continues to amuse me. Those who do don't get the intricacies of it, the technical difficulty, the insane fitness levels, the tactical brains and the genius to devise plays.

The most thrilling sporting events I've watched this year were the College Football Playoffs and the NFL Playoffs. Utterly gripping television. Pulsating excitement and I happily invested hours into each and every game. It's not for everyone. Give me those games over the snorefests of the UCL final, UEL final and FA Cup final.

A human game of chess between the two head coaches and some of the best minds in sport. It is a joy.

More gripping than Liverpool overturning a 3-0 deficit to Barcelona or the Spurs games (Man City and Ajax)? 

They were pretty intense, I’m not disagreeing I’m just trying to gauge it. If they were better than the games I mentioned fair play. 

30 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I think there will be one for King, but then you also have to think will we start having to dish them out to all the title winners too possibly? 

I imagine King will get one, then when all the title winners retire we’ll do another one for the 2016 side too, although there are quite a few players you’d say who deserve their own. 

No I don't think we would. King has been with us for over a decade, he's more than justfied a testimonial on his service alone. The fact that he's been influential in the rise from League One to playing in the Champions League, no other player is more deserving.

I'd imagine as part of his testimonial there will be the opportunity to invite the title winners back for the occassion, much like Kompany's today. So there wouldn't be a need to look beyond that.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I think there will be one for King, but then you also have to think will we start having to dish them out to all the title winners too possibly? 

I imagine King will get one, then when all the title winners retire we’ll do another one for the 2016 side too, although there are quite a few players you’d say who deserve their own. 

I was under the impression if a player has been at a club 10+ years then they get a testimonial, which would mean the only player to qualify is King, as it stands.

Mind you, if Vardy and Schmeichel fulfil their current contracts they will be on 10+ too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Poznan34 said:

I was under the impression if a player has been at a club 10+ years then they get a testimonial, which would mean the only player to qualify is King, as it stands.

Mind you, if Vardy and Schmeichel fulfil their current contracts they will be on 10+ too.

Those dudes are retiring with us. I want Kasper shitting himself through old age before he even sits on the bench 

7 hours ago, Poznan34 said:

I'd love to see Kasper. Vardy & Morgan finish their playing careers with us, all get testimonials, then a role within the club in some capacity.

All have been excellent servants of the club. 

17 hours ago, foxile5 said:

If you COULD give a crap why are you acting like you COULDN'T? 

If you're going to speak on behalf of the 'US of A' in English then it might be prudent to think about whether or not you're using it correctly. 

2 Points here -

1) What you're criticising is everyday American English usage, nothing 'incorrect' about it.

2) Pedantry, apart from being deeply unattractive, is inappropriate in this context - 

respectfully I suggest you get over yourself.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

2 Points here -

1) What you're criticising is everyday American English usage, nothing 'incorrect' about it.

2) Pedantry, apart from being deeply unattractive, is inappropriate in this context - 

respectfully I suggest you get over yourself.

It doesn't matter if it's 'everyday', it's incorrect. A mistake is a mistake. It's not pedantry. Words ascribe meaning and communicate intention ; they should be used accurately. I'm not going to 'get over' my correct use of the English language. 

Infact, isn't there since muddied waters of what constitutes true over there right now? Perhaps a little clarity of language isn't such a bad thing. 

Just now, foxile5 said:

It doesn't matter if it's 'everyday', it's incorrect. A mistake is a mistake. It's not pedantry. Words ascribe meaning and communicate intention ; they should be used accurately. I'm not going to 'get over' my correct use of the English language. 

Infact, isn't there since muddied waters of what constitutes true over there right now? Perhaps a little clarity of language isn't such a bad thing. 

Please ensure you use spaces correctly. Thanks

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Linguistically, the use of vernacular falls outside of the rules of grammar. It's part of the living evolution of language. Therefore using terms like 'correct'or 'incorrect' in this context is wrong

And criticising an American for using American English (which clearly you didn't recognise) is actually quite insulting,

As for the point about truth in America...I don't think recent events in this country (hello Boris) give us much scope to cast stones across the Atlantic,

• Like 2