Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

12 hours ago, bmt said:

That’s what I meant really - it’s American crap

That's the problem here. 

There are certain sectors of the British public that are throbbing erect for the Americanisation of the British sport scene. 

There's hoardes of wankers that claim to be into American football, as though its a natural part of British culture. It's a sport played in a single country, in any serious manner, yet people are gasping to associate themselves with it. Its not the game itself, or historical attachment, its the spectacle. The fireworks and OTT Americana. 

You get options like L because people are desperate to ape America. It's really sad as we'll see a huge decline in British sporting traditions over the next decade and the majority of it will be in order to ape America. Its sad because they're culturally devoid and their sporting scene is crass. 

• Like 1

Just looking at when next TV fixtures are due to be announced. 

November's selections are due to be announced on 16th Sept. 

I wonder if this is when we'll find out if the Arsenal game is due to be moved back to Saturday 9th? Wolves vs Villa is the same weekend and as Wolves are in EL too on Thursday, perhaps Sky will choose it as it will get moved to Sunday anyway? 

Liverpool vs Man City is that weekend as well so it's bound to be on TV too. 

Honestly with all this new trend in the last 5 years of 'modernising' crests I'm glad we sorted ours out in '92 before this obsession with American Sports branding was a thing. There's no better football crest in English football than our's: Fox & Cinquefoil both clear Leicester symbols, extremely clean and clear execution and instantly recognisable. The small altercations over the years to the fox has only made it better.

Only one that comes close to our's in my opinion is Scunthorpe's. 

Edited by Finnaldo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Honestly with all this new trend in the last 5 years of 'modernising' crests I'm glad we sorted ours out in '92 before this obsession with American Sports branding was a thing. There's no better football crest in English football than our's: Fox & Cinquefoil both clear Leicester symbols, extremely clean and clear execution and instantly recognisable. The small altercations over the years to the fox has only made it better.

What was the fox altercating about ...   :)

57 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

There are certain sectors of the British public that are throbbing erect for the Americanisation of the British sport scene. 

There's hoardes of wankers that claim to be into American football, as though its a natural part of British culture. It's a sport played in a single country, in any serious manner, yet people are gasping to associate themselves with it. Its not the game itself, or historical attachment, its the spectacle. The fireworks and OTT Americana. 

You get options like L because people are desperate to ape America. 

Sorry but this is serious nonsense, people like American football because it's a fantastic sport and seeing players like Tom Brady, Odell Beckham and Julian Edelman at the top of their game is up with anything else on the planet. I go to watch it and have no interest in seeing fireworks and eating hot dogs whilst I do.

I despise halloween, "Proms" that don't involve an ending of pomp and circumstance and don't get me started on baby showers and fast food "restaurants". 

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

That's the problem here. 

You get options like L because people are desperate to ape America. It's really sad as we'll see a huge decline in British sporting traditions over the next decade and the majority of it will be in order to ape America. Its sad because they're culturally devoid and their sporting scene is crass. 

Never understood people that make sweeping statements like this.

American football has never been so big in this country and personally I think its great the skill and ability on show week in week out is incredible but you know its just not British and has no right to be playing on our soil. Next you'll be saying that you've never eating a Chinese or had an Indian takeaway.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Never understood people that make sweeping statements like this.

American football has never been so big in this country and personally I think its great the skill and ability on show week in week out is incredible but you know its just not British and has no right to be playing on our soil. Next you'll be saying that you've never eating a Chinese or had an Indian takeaway.

Ridiculous statement. I love those cultures foods. I've lived in one of those countries. 

It's never been MARKETED so much. That's why people are suddenly interested. Don't kid yourself. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Finnaldo said:

Which English clubs have had new badges you'd say are synonymous with Americanisation?

30 minutes ago, MattP said:

Sorry but this is serious nonsense, people like American football because it's a fantastic sport and seeing players like Tom Brady, Odell Beckham and Julian Edelman at the top of their game is up with anything else on the planet. I go to watch it and have no interest in seeing fireworks and eating hot dogs whilst I do.

I despise halloween, "Proms" that don't involve an ending of pomp and circumstance and don't get me started on baby showers and fast food "restaurants".

Mate it's a regional sport that has reached saturation point in its own country of residence and is being marketed to the next available democratic. 

The whole system is a money making scam...'franchised' teams, a game structure designed to maximise ad breaks, sponsored stadia (which has already ruined some of the British football tradition), and the labeling and sponsoring of everything. 

People wouldn't be seeking American football out if it wasn't so effectively marketed to them. 

1 minute ago, Langston said:

Which English clubs have had new badges you'd say are synonymous with Americanisation?

There was the attempted Hull City name change which came with a badge change aimed at 'franchising' the club, luckily fan pressure ended it. There was Leeds' effort that had to be scrapped due to fan outrage and that clearly had American influences, several choices in that Watford consultation look like tacky American sport logos. Brentford & Bristol have moved to two very cookie cutter designs (Bristol more so I'd say, I think Brentford's is excusable).

These are the ones that pop straight into my head. Of course the first couple were forced back to the drawing board and Watford may choose one of the decent designs, but there's no doubt there a very American intrusion in football badges of late.

15 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Ridiculous statement. I love those cultures foods. I've lived in one of those countries. 

It's never been MARKETED so much. That's why people are suddenly interested. Don't kid yourself. 

lol so your saying people only watch the NFL due to its marketing?? I've never so much rubbish in my life. The NFL has been apart of British Culture for years the Superbowl in the early 80's were pulling in TV audiences of 4mill+! you could even go back as far as the World War 2 where organised matches were taking place.

Just because its not apart of YOUR culture doesn't mean it isn't apart of other peoples.