Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

4 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

This had made me think. Why is Watford's badge currently a reindeer if they're the hornets? lol

I always thought it was a moose? 

Point still stands though why the **** would it be a moose?! lol 

Edited by Manini

2 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

lol so your saying people only watch the NFL due to its marketing?? I've never so much rubbish in my life. The NFL has been apart of British Culture for years the Superbowl in the early 80's were pulling in TV audiences of 4mill+! you could even go back as far as the World War 2 where organised matches were taking place.

Just because its not apart of YOUR culture doesn't mean it isn't apart of other peoples. 

Aye. Huge part of British Culture.

Can't move for franchised teams, tail gate parties, and the like. 

17 hours ago, bmt said:

Options E, L and R on that are horrendous.

I like those three. A little bit futuristic and dynamic. I think they all have good points. I also think the hart should be dropped for the hornet. Far more club personal.

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

Not getting too involved here but tailgate party's always seem weird to me. You drive to a stadium, drink and eat and then drive back?

I never drink and drive as I'm always tempted to drink more, I just don't trust myself. Are people really just only having two drinks (the legal limit) and then stopping?

1 minute ago, FIF said:

I like those three. A little bit futuristic and dynamic. I think they all have good points. I also think the hart should be dropped for the hornet. Far more club personal.

I’ll definitely agree to disagree. I quite like the hornet on a few of them though, and to be honest as an initial draft where a graphic designer has spent a couple of days making them there’s definitely some decent options 

12 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Mate it's a regional sport that has reached saturation point in its own country of residence and is being marketed to the next available democratic. 

The whole system is a money making scam...'franchised' teams, a game structure designed to maximise ad breaks, sponsored stadia (which has already ruined some of the British football tradition), and the labeling and sponsoring of everything. 

People wouldn't be seeking American football out if it wasn't so effectively marketed to them. 

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

Have you ever actually been to a game??? Or watched a game with a vested interest as a fan a team???

There are so many different sports out there which ebb and flow in different ways.

I love football & being 90 minutes you can get fully immersed in every kick. But I love test match cricket, which is very different. I couldn't be bothered with some sessions last week, but incurred the wrath of the whole family on the drive home last Sunday as couldn't miss a ball with Overton/Leach at the crease. Once you watch a few games & understand how the sport works you begin to appreciate it and how to watch it.

At 3 hours long, the NFL is somewhere between the 2 - you can have slow periods, but then it can come to a crescendo with a team needing to score with less than 2 minutes on the clock when you can't take your eyes off it. The last 5 or 10 minutes of a football match can often fail to deliver as teams wind down the clock or settle for a draw or just fail to build a period of sustained pressure, but the NFL regularly produces do or die finishes - and with only a 16 game regular season, each game is far more important individually than a Premier League game.

It's a great sport to follow & it's your loss if you are too prejudiced by it being American rather than British to open yourself up to that.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

Have you ever actually been to a game??? Or watched a game with a vested interest as a fan a team???

There are so many different sports out there which ebb and flow in different ways.

I love football & being 90 minutes you can get fully immersed in every kick. But I love test match cricket, which is very different. I couldn't be bothered with some sessions last week, but incurred the wrath of the whole family on the drive home last Sunday as couldn't miss a ball with Overton/Leach at the crease. Once you watch a few games & understand how the sport works you begin to appreciate it and how to watch it.

At 3 hours long, the NFL is somewhere between the 2 - you can have slow periods, but then it can come to a crescendo with a team needing to score with less than 2 minutes on the clock when you can't take your eyes off it. The last 5 or 10 minutes of a football match can often fail to deliver as teams wind down the clock or settle for a draw or just fail to build a period of sustained pressure, but the NFL regularly produces do or die finishes - and with only a 16 game regular season, each game is far more important individually than a Premier League game.

It's a great sport to follow & it's your loss if you are too prejudiced by it being American rather than British to open yourself up to that.

You clearly didn't watch the Dolphins ravens match this weekend.

11 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

Lived and worked in America, attended games. 

My problem isn't with the sport, ostensibly, but with the desperate British punters trying to ape American sports at the expense of ours, and as a result of marketing.

Of course, you'd read that in the posts rather than just bashed off some psuedo-emotive impasse tvhat attempts to promote American sports hadn't you?  

27 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

There was the attempted Hull City name change which came with a badge change aimed at 'franchising' the club, luckily fan pressure ended it. There was Leeds' effort that had to be scrapped due to fan outrage and that clearly had American influences, several choices in that Watford consultation look like tacky American sport logos. Brentford & Bristol have moved to two very cookie cutter designs (Bristol more so I'd say, I think Brentford's is excusable).

These are the ones that pop straight into my head. Of course the first couple were forced back to the drawing board and Watford may choose one of the decent designs, but there's no doubt there a very American intrusion in football badges of late.

As you've mentioned mate, Hull and Leeds didn't go ahead.

Watford pitched their badge design as a competition, literally anybody could enter which is why I assume there are loads of choices, it's not part of any Americanisation.

Brentford's and Bristol's badges really don't seem American to me so it might just be a subjective thing, if anything the simplicity of Bristol's reminds me a little of our running fox badge.

1 minute ago, Langston said:

As you've mentioned mate, Hull and Leeds didn't go ahead.

Watford pitched their badge design as a competition, literally anybody could enter which is why I assume there are loads of choices, it's not part of any Americanisation.

Brentford's and Bristol's badges really don't seem American to me so it might just be a subjective thing, if anything the simplicity of Bristol's reminds me a little of our running fox badge.

It didn't go ahead but they were proposed at the top of football clubs.

Franchising is a creeping influence in English football, it's inevitable.

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

That's the problem here. 

There are certain sectors of the British public that are throbbing erect for the Americanisation of the British sport scene. 

There's hoardes of wankers that claim to be into American football, as though its a natural part of British culture. It's a sport played in a single country, in any serious manner, yet people are gasping to associate themselves with it. Its not the game itself, or historical attachment, its the spectacle. The fireworks and OTT Americana. 

You get options like L because people are desperate to ape America. It's really sad as we'll see a huge decline in British sporting traditions over the next decade and the majority of it will be in order to ape America. Its sad because they're culturally devoid and their sporting scene is crass. 

On behalf of 325 million citizens, I can inform you that the US of A could give a crap which of our sports marketing ideas England or anyone tries out unless you are paying a royalty, thank you.

The people trying to fill stadiums and sell merch try things out and keep what works.  If what you personally dislike appeals to the masses, then you are SOL and America had nothing to do with it.

Frankly the current Watford crest looks lifted from a Canadian junior hockey team, what’s traditional about it?

The only thing I personally see the British aping monkey-see-monkey-do is Donald Trump.  And that is concerning because at this rate, there won’t be enough of our countries left to save the free world if another Big One ever breaks out.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, KingsX said:

On behalf of 325 million citizens, I can inform you that the US of A could give a crap which of our sports marketing ideas England or anyone tries out unless you are paying a royalty, thank you.

If you COULD give a crap why are you acting like you COULDN'T? 

If you're going to speak on behalf of the 'US of A' in English then it might be prudent to think about whether or not you're using it correctly. 

4 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

If you COULD give a crap why are you acting like you COULDN'T? 

If you're going to speak on behalf of the 'US of A' in English then it might be prudent to think about whether or not you're using it correctly. 

That's proper American vernacular, bud  :)

I hear it's taking over the UK along with the the NFL, Halloween and senior proms.

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

That's the problem here. 

There are certain sectors of the British public that are throbbing erect for the Americanisation of the British sport scene. 

There's hoardes of wankers that claim to be into American football, as though its a natural part of British culture. It's a sport played in a single country, in any serious manner, yet people are gasping to associate themselves with it. Its not the game itself, or historical attachment, its the spectacle. The fireworks and OTT Americana. 

You get options like L because people are desperate to ape America. It's really sad as we'll see a huge decline in British sporting traditions over the next decade and the majority of it will be in order to ape America. Its sad because they're culturally devoid and their sporting scene is crass. 

I think American Football is a great game to watch. Shoot me.

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

Mate it's a regional sport that has reached saturation point in its own country of residence and is being marketed to the next available democratic. 

The whole system is a money making scam...'franchised' teams, a game structure designed to maximise ad breaks, sponsored stadia (which has already ruined some of the British football tradition), and the labeling and sponsoring of everything. 

People wouldn't be seeking American football out if it wasn't so effectively marketed to them. 

American football was huge here in the 80's (audience figures on C4 were higher than games now) and still retains a big following, that's why most sports fans know the names of Dan Marino and Jerry Rice.

No one "seeks out" a sport that is actually quite difficult to understand compared to most others.

Whether a London franchise happens I don't know, but if it does it won't survive on people just going to see the fireworks. 

The disparaging of American Football continues to amuse me. Those who do don't get the intricacies of it, the technical difficulty, the insane fitness levels, the tactical brains and the genius to devise plays.

The most thrilling sporting events I've watched this year were the College Football Playoffs and the NFL Playoffs. Utterly gripping television. Pulsating excitement and I happily invested hours into each and every game. It's not for everyone. Give me those games over the snorefests of the UCL final, UEL final and FA Cup final.

A human game of chess between the two head coaches and some of the best minds in sport. It is a joy.