Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

Newcastle are negotiating a compensation package of about £5m with Sheffield Wednesday for Bruce. (Times)lol

Jesus thats ridiculous! 

Chelsea paid around 4mill for Lampard but at least he's promising in terms of potential. Bruce takes down every club he's managed there 

• Like 1

I reckon there'll be distinct groups of teams this season with sizeable points gaps between them

Manchester City

Liverpool

Spurs

Chelsea/Arsenal/Leicester/Everton/Wolves/Manchester United

West Ham/Watford/Southampton

Brighton/Bournemouth

Burnley

Villa/Palace/Norwich/Newcastle/Sheff United

It's incredible that we don't have any glaring weaknesses in our squad unlike Man united, Chelsea or Arsenal and we have a manager that we can trust too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I reckon there'll be distinct groups of teams this season with sizeable points gaps between them

Manchester City

Liverpool

Spurs

Chelsea/Arsenal/Leicester/Everton/Wolves/Manchester United

West Ham/Watford/Southampton

Brighton/Bournemouth

Burnley

Villa/Palace/Norwich/Newcastle/Sheff United

It's incredible that we don't have any glaring weaknesses in our squad unlike Man united, Chelsea or Arsenal and we have a manager that we can trust too.

If there was a season to crack top 4 (forget just top 6) now is it for clubs like us and a few others your mentioned. Would take a pretty perfect season for us to do so but its possible.  Really hope we can push top 6 and a cup final this year.

8 hours ago, Tuna said:

How many times has he been relegated as a manager?

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I remember Hull and Birmingham.

May have gone a tad OTT on that point there :sweating:

But mainly his recent periods in the prem generally lead to relegation or sacking due to being near relegation. 

He used to be a decent manager back in the early 2010's but since he has dropped a bit. 

10 hours ago, Royston. said:

I remember when a few kids in my primary school switched from liverpool to manutd.

Whats the betting they've switched back???

I sometimes think about what it was like to be a Leics.-based glory grabber Man Utd/Liverpool/etc. fan during the title win. Imagine you've picked some club you have no association with and never even set foot in their stadium, then your home town club achieves the impossible, and you're seeing Leicester fans everywhere who all look like they just won the lottery. That must make you realise that you're missing out, surely? Even if your chosen glory team does win a trophy, it's not going to feel anything like that does to them. I'm sure our title win gave glory hunters all over the country some food for thought.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Raw Dykes said:

I sometimes think about what it was like to be a Leics.-based glory grabber Man Utd/Liverpool/etc. fan during the title win. Imagine you've picked some club you have no association with and never even set foot in their stadium, then your home town club achieves the impossible, and you're seeing Leicester fans everywhere who all look like they just won the lottery. That must make you realise that you're missing out, surely? Even if your chosen glory team does win a trophy, it's not going to feel anything like that does to them. I'm sure our title win gave glory hunters all over the country some food for thought.

After a couple of years of being 'back to normal' they'd revert to their glory hunting ways because some people just want to be associated with success above all else no matter how removed from them it is.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, davieG said:

After a couple of years of being 'back to normal' they'd revert to their glory hunting ways because some people just want to be associated with success above all else no matter how removed from them it is.

I'm sure that is true for a lot of them. There will be some, though, who just never gave any thought to how a real connection to the club affects how much you get out of following them. They'll know they've been living a lie.

I know those people you mentioned exist, but I think the brighter ones would be having a serious think about life decisions.

10 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Villa’s spending heading over the £100m mark! Could be a lot of shrewd business, could be another Fulham repeat, though I think they are managed a bit better behind the scenes than Fulham 

A lot of change at Villa, and some unproven quality. They may be fine but I'd be considering them as potential relegation candidate.

20 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Villa’s spending heading over the £100m mark! Could be a lot of shrewd business, could be another Fulham repeat, though I think they are managed a bit better behind the scenes than Fulham 

A few of their transfers are loans-made-permanent, so its a bit more sensible than the scatter-gun approach Fulham went for. I still think they'll struggle, but it shouldn't be quite as disastrous as Fulham/Huddersfield were last year. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Fulham aren't that bad behind the scenes, their problem was that half the squad that got them promoted were on loan and they weren't able to sign them permanently. And signing players became a nightmare, according to an interview with their vice chairman. 

Hopefully, Villa will be worse than Fulham! 

Edited by FoyleFox

39 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Thought they were struggling financially last season?

Hope they aren't, therefore, breaking the bank after having new owners in not too long ago.

11 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Hard not to like Crouch. Not the most prolific, not the most skillful, but different. Great to watch and a fun personality. Will be missed.

Love Crouchy. What a player. For his height I always thought he was actually quite skillful with his feet. 

Imagine the day when Vardy retires :cry:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Hard not to like Crouch. Not the most prolific, not the most skillful, but different. Great to watch and a fun personality. Will be missed.

Honestly, one of my favourite players in the league. 

Over 100 league goals. 22 for England in 42 matches. Not bad for a guy a lot of people thought wasn't any good.

Seems like a great guy and has a great sense of humour.

I hope he'll stay in the football world in some fashion.

Happy retirement to him :appl:

• Like 3

On Aston Villa, I cant remember if I already mentioned this, but ive got 2 mates who support Villa and Bournemouth. They have had a £100 bet on who will finish higher. I still fancy Bournemouth to finish mid table so its an interesting bet. Villa have to get off to a good start otherwise the comparison with Fulham will be shoved in their faces every week.

Personally for the money they have spent I don't think they will pull up trees but I reckon they will stay up. Newcastle look certain to be relegated and I think if Palace lose Zaha they will be screwed also.

I actually think Burnley will struggle this season, you cant have your transfer business consist of bringing in Rodriguez and hope that you will still compete enough to sit comfortably above relegation. They really like to scrape the bins for players

Will be interesting to see how Norwich and Sheff Utd get on, I can see the relegation battle be between a good 6-7 teams this season

3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

May have gone a tad OTT on that point there :sweating:

But mainly his recent periods in the prem generally lead to relegation or sacking due to being near relegation. 

He used to be a decent manager back in the early 2010's but since he has dropped a bit. 

My memory must be going I thought he was relegated with those 2 teams... as well as getting promoted, I’m doubtful now, he always comes across as a good bloke though, unfortunately just another name on the manager merry go round, not very forward thinking by Newcastle.

19 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

On Aston Villa, I cant remember if I already mentioned this, but ive got 2 mates who support Villa and Bournemouth. They have had a £100 bet on who will finish higher. I still fancy Bournemouth to finish mid table so its an interesting bet. Villa have to get off to a good start otherwise the comparison with Fulham will be shoved in their faces every week.

Personally for the money they have spent I don't think they will pull up trees but I reckon they will stay up. Newcastle look certain to be relegated and I think if Palace lose Zaha they will be screwed also.

I actually think Burnley will struggle this season, you cant have your transfer business consist of bringing in Rodriguez and hope that you will still compete enough to sit comfortably above relegation. They really like to scrape the bins for players

Will be interesting to see how Norwich and Sheff Utd get on, I can see the relegation battle be between a good 6-7 teams this season

I would have Brighton nailed on for the drop, I agree about Burnley jointing then and then 1 from the 3 promoted teams.

Newcastle are in a mess but I think they will be okay.

2 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

My memory must be going I thought he was relegated with those 2 teams... as well as getting promoted, I’m doubtful now, he always comes across as a good bloke though, unfortunately just another name on the manager merry go round, not very forward thinking by Newcastle.

Knew he got relegated with them but also thought he'd nearly taken 1 or 2 down and be sacked before. 

8 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I would have Brighton nailed on for the drop, I agree about Burnley jointing then and then 1 from the 3 promoted teams.

Newcastle are in a mess but I think they will be okay.

Palace will be safe as we gift them 6 points every season.