Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

2 hours ago, Koke said:

Waiting patiently for the day Sean Dyche is out if this league. Occasionally they will produce decent stuff like their winner against us and Jay Rod goal last night but most of the time they play horrible route 1 garbage. Percentage football 101. 

Im usually not snobby about how teams play but when you see lower league teams like Brentford and Fulham and Leeds play progressive innovative football with coaches who have foward thinking ideas, you wonder what the **** Sean Dyche does with his time and the millions they earn by being a Premier League  team.

Get Burnley in the bin and Dyche out of the league.

I mean, teams like Burnley play like Burnley because if they don't there's a very good chance they end up like Norwich or Aston Villa (only reason Villa aren't where Norwich are is Grealish). It's no fun playing them but I don't begrudge their playstyle because it's the one thing keeping them in this league.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

If we win our next two games (Chelsea and Wolves) Top 4 is as good as done.

Somehow Chelsea are favourites at the  bookies to win against us. :/

1 minute ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I mean, teams like Burnley play like Burnley because if they don't there's a very good chance they end up like Norwich or Aston Villa (only reason Villa aren't where Norwich are is Grealish). It's no fun playing them but I don't begrudge their playstyle because it's the one thing keeping them in this league.

5 years in the Prem. They've earned hundreds of millions only for them to play Ashley Barnes and Chris Wood up top in a rigid 442. Its a myth that smaller clubs can only survive by playing archaic agricultural 18th century football (Dyche relegated Burnley once already playing that way). 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Koke said:

5 years in the Prem. They've earned hundreds of millions only for them to play Ashley Barnes and Chris Wood up top in a rigid 442. Its a myth that smaller clubs can only survive by playing archaic agricultural 18th century football (Dyche relegated Burnley once already playing that way). 

Dyche did try to move on and improve Burnley though, that's the thing. It's one of the two main reasons they were so awful that season they were in Europa. As soon as he reverted to type deep in the winter they started to move up away from the relegation zone. I imagine he'll not be keen to try that again any time soon!

I'm not a fan of players getting booked for what's perceived as excessive celebrations, but how can a player be booked for taking his shirt off, and Douglas Luiz gets the same punishment for jumping into the crowd? Surely if something as mundane as removing your shirt is a yellow for possibly riling up the crowd, surely jumping into the crowd is a red?

36 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I agree with your point, but "playstyle"...

:plancque:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I'm not a fan of players getting booked for what's perceived as excessive celebrations, but how can a player be booked for taking his shirt off, and Douglas Luiz gets the same punishment for jumping into the crowd? Surely if something as mundane as removing your shirt is a yellow for possibly riling up the crowd, surely jumping into the crowd is a red?

I wish that daft rule would just be removed. Let players celebrate, with the fans if need be. As long as someone doesn't do a Cantona, everything is fine.

If the issue is time wasting by taking your shirt off, then just add the time on, no big deal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I wish that daft rule would just be removed. Let players celebrate, with the fans if need be. As long as someone doesn't do a Cantona, everything is fine.

If the issue is time wasting by taking your shirt off, then just add the time on, no big deal.

Surely with VAR disallowing so many goals this season nobody is gonna risk the shirt off celebration. You'd look a right tit when your left bollocks is a millimetre offside and VAR picks it up

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Koke said:

Waiting patiently for the day Sean Dyche is out if this league. Occasionally they will produce decent stuff like their winner against us and Jay Rod goal last night but most of the time they play horrible route 1 garbage. Percentage football 101. 

Im usually not snobby about how teams play but when you see lower league teams like Brentford and Fulham and Leeds play progressive innovative football with coaches who have foward thinking ideas, you wonder what the **** Sean Dyche does with his time and the millions they earn by being a Premier League  team.

Get Burnley in the bin and Dyche out of the league.

Dyche is an interesting case because if Burnley played any other type of football he'd be long gone after that super achievement of getting them to Europe a few seasons back. I'm surprised he hasn't tried to adapt their game at all because if they don't they will eventually get caught out you would think. Sheffield United are a good example for me of a team that definitely has a Championship / traditional English team feel to it in terms of getting stuck in and physical when needed, but they also play football too despite not having the best players to choose from. They aren't a percentage football team but actually a very decent all round outfit.

At the end of the day though percentage football is easier to implement with limited players. This season we have played Burnley and Norwich. Of those two I would say Norwich were by *far* the better team we played who had a very distinct style of football that was enjoyable to watch, but they are bottom of the league whereas Burnley beat us in one game and probably should have had a draw barring a fortunate VAR call in the other. I think Brentford / WBA / Leeds / Fulham will all struggle in the Premier League despite playing good stuff. Leeds especially really impress me every time I see them on Sky but playing that way against top level players is much harder than the Championship.

I do think though that 5-10 years from now teams who play like Burnley, Newcastle and Palace won't exist in the top league. As teams get more and more technical, the direct style will get pushed out as I think over the long haul it will get found out. I think Leicester may well serve as a blueprint for many teams as a club who slowly but surely built up a collection of young technical players and have managed to completely change style successfully. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Oh I agree that the booking rule should be removed, I just don't get the thought process where the people who brought the rule in decided that removing your shirt and actually jumping into the crowd a worthy of the same punishment.

Edited by Facecloth

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Spot on. They keep playing that way because Dyche doesn't know how to do anything better. 

• Like 2

Guest bennytwohats
5 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Spot on. They keep playing that way because Dyche doesn't know how to do anything better. 

Think that’s a little unfair. Dyche is a good manager who has done very well with Burnley. They’re a smaller club who haven’t been financially supported like we have. Yes they’ve earnt a lot of TV revenue, but there is something to be applauded for using that sustainably rather than following in the footsteps of the likes of Fulham and spending it all to get relegated.

Teams have come up and had better success playing nice football, but the majority have gone back down instead. We’ve been very fortunate over the last few years and so to judge against us is the wrong yardstick. They got to the Europa league and have been a consistency difficult team to play against over the years. Dyche and Burnley deserve a lot of credit.

image.png.1649c7095783504ea6d5241d3376725b.png

Breathe it in. 14 points to the team in fifth.

Although it could be Wolves tonight if they get anything at home to Liverpool

Could be down to 11, or 13 tonight.

4 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

Think that’s a little unfair. Dyche is a good manager who has done very well with Burnley. They’re a smaller club who haven’t been financially supported like we have. Yes they’ve earnt a lot of TV revenue, but there is something to be applauded for using that sustainably rather than following in the footsteps of the likes of Fulham and spending it all to get relegated.

Teams have come up and had better success playing nice football, but the majority have gone back down instead. We’ve been very fortunate over the last few years and so to judge against us is the wrong yardstick. They got to the Europa league and have been a consistency difficult team to play against over the years. Dyche and Burnley deserve a lot of credit.

I didn't say that haven't done well or that they don't deserve credit. All I said was that Dyche doesn't have the ability to play anything other than hard graft, organised, numbers based football. 

16 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

image.png.1649c7095783504ea6d5241d3376725b.png

Breathe it in. 14 points to the team in fifth.

Although it could be Wolves tonight if they get anything at home to Liverpool

Could be down to 11, or 13 tonight.

I know it's awful and I shouldn't keep obsessing over what ifs but I can't help but be frustrated that if we'd beaten Burnley and Southampton it would be twenty. TWENTY. Tweeeeenty. 

How good would that feel. Could genuinely just ****ing relax. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I'm pretty sure the reason players get carded for taking their shirt off while celebrating isn't to do with time wasting - it's because the photos of them on the back pages won't have the sponsor on the shirt visible. Seriously.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

vY15KUY.jpg

This is genuinely absurd! Has the league ever been so tight this late into the season? Newcastle could conceivably win two games in a row and be 5th depending on how other fixtures go!

What's incredible there is Arsenal have only won SIX games all season, the least out of that bunch. 

A side like them usually would be in Chelsea's position or at worst 6th or 7th. Terrible side at the moment for their stature. 

I for one am so glad we're not involved with that bunch of teams. It'd be so frustrating being there knowing another team would have capitalised and been in 3rd!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I'm pretty sure the reason players get carded for taking their shirt off while celebrating isn't to do with time wasting - it's because the photos of them on the back pages won't have the sponsor on the shirt visible. Seriously.

I thought it was because the crowd might get over excited or pissed off with the excessive celebration, surge forward and cause injuries. Which is why is mention that getting the same punishment as jumping into the crowd as ridiculous.

59 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Surely with VAR disallowing so many goals this season nobody is gonna risk the shirt off celebration. You'd look a right tit when your left bollocks is a millimetre offside and VAR picks it up

Even fans aren't celebrating goals, our first last night was very subdued and by the time the VAR approved it the moment had past.

17 minutes ago, davieG said:

Even fans aren't celebrating goals, our first last night was very subdued and by the time the VAR approved it the moment had past.

I would prefer that than it being disallowed by a linesman's flag.

• Like 1